US destroyer collides with merchant ship near Singapore

This is too weird after the USS Fitzgerald incident recently.

I hope everyone is accounted for and safe.- from the link-

A Navy official told CNN initial reports indicated only minor injuries among the McCain's crew of about 330 but that a full accounting of the crew was ongoing.

Search and rescue efforts are under way, the Navy statement said, with helicopters and Marine Corps Osprey aircraft from the amphibious assault ship USS America responding.

Why is this happening? Did they have their cameras out taking pictures?

This is how cheap knockoffs happen.

I'm pulling an Obama here as I don't know the details but is it assumed the merchant ship innocently wandered into the path of the Destroyer? Or did the Destroyer act stupidly?

Not good! This makes two sophisticated warships colliding with giant tankers in two months, both in Asian waters. Someone is either scrambling transponders or hacking sonar mechanisms. Or EMP weapons using merchant shipping vessels in the as a platform against US warship radar systems. But by who?

Twitter

The Associated Press
The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: U.S. Navy says 10 sailors are missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collided with merchant ship.
8:22 PM · Aug 20, 2017

BREAKING: U.S. Destroyer Collides With Massive Tanker – 'Search and Rescue Efforts Are Underway' (VIDEO)

Last edited:
Not really much info yet.
USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca **UPDATE 9:12 a.m. JST, Aug. 21, 2017** > Commander, U.S. 7th Fleet > Display
SOUTH CHINA SEA - The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) was involved in a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway east of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore on Aug. 21.

The collision was reported at 6:24 a.m. Japan Standard Time, while the ship was transiting to a routine port visit in Singapore.

The ship is currently sailing under its own power and heading to port.

Search and rescue efforts are underway in coordination with local authorities. In addition to tug boats out of Singapore, the Republic of Singapore Navy ship RSS Gallant (97), RSN helicopters and Police Coast Guard vessel Basking Shark (55) are currently in the area to render assistance.

MV-22s and SH-60s from USS America are also responding.

Initial reports indicate John S. McCain sustained damage to her port side aft. The extent of damage and personnel injuries is being determined. The incident will be investigated.

I'm pulling an Obama here as I don't know the details but is it assumed the merchant ship innocently wandered into the path of the Destroyer? Or did the Destroyer act stupidly?

US Navy ship collides with oil tanker off Singapore - BBC News

BBC-
Ten sailors are missing and five injured after a US destroyer collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Singapore, the US Navy says.

The USS John McCain was sailing through the Strait of Malacca and preparing to stop in Singapore when it struck the Liberian-flagged vessel.

A search and rescue operation is under way.

It is the second serious collision involving a US Navy ship within two months.

The latest collision, which was reported at 06:24 local time on Monday (21:24 GMT on Sunday), happened as the USS John McCain prepared to perform a routine port stop.

Initial reports said that the ship had "sustained damage" to its port side. The US Navy said local authorities were assisting with "search and rescue efforts".
I pray they rescue them all.

I never knew there was a US destroyer named John McCain...

My Goodness!:confused:

Not good! This makes two sophisticated warships colliding with giant tankers in two months, both in Asian waters. Someone is either scrambling transponders or hacking sonar mechanisms. Or EMP weapons using merchant shipping vessels in the as a platform against US warship radar systems. But by who?

Twitter

The Associated Press
The Associated Press @AP
BREAKING: U.S. Navy says 10 sailors are missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collided with merchant ship.
8:22 PM · Aug 20, 2017

BREAKING: U.S. Destroyer Collides With Massive Tanker – 'Search and Rescue Efforts Are Underway' (VIDEO)
The last incident ended with the commander losing his ship and several seamen charged with dereliction of duty...Probably out on deck smoking weed...
So no need to make excuses for weak seamen...That sounds dirty..

Info on the ship that it collided with-

ALNIC MC - Chemical/Oil Products Tanker - Details and current position IMO 9396725 MMSI 636017930 | Vessels | VesselFinder
What is the ship's current position? Where is the ship located? ALNIC MC last received position is23.10056 N / 119.88441 E on Aug 15, 2017 at 14:57 UTC.

Vessel ALNIC MC (IMO: 9396725, MMSI: 636017930) is a chemical/oil products tanker built in 2008 and currently sailing under the flag of Liberia. ALNIC MC has 183m length overall and beam of 32m. Her gross tonnage is 30040 tons. Below you can find more technical information, photos, AIS data and last 5 port calls of ALNIC MC detected by AIS.

Forum List

Back