Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
For those who love true crime; the first two episodes of the Unsolved Mysteries re-boot is some of the best productions around. The first episode deals with a guy whose death was ruled suicide but it is quite obvious that he didn't kill himself--even the ME would not rule the death a suicide. The second deals with the mysterious death of a salon shop owner in Georgia whose remains turned up 600 days (exactly) after her disappearance.

USM doesn't portray anyone as guilty but they all but condemn a party in each of these episodes as guilty. In the first one, the childhood friend of the decedent and current employer instituted a gag order on the company and has refused to talk to the police even though the last person known to have talked to the decedent called him from the office switchboard. In the 2nd episode, the husband of the salon shop owner changed all of the locks on the house (he says as a precaution) after the owner disappeared. Additionally he wouldn't allow the owner's son to come back into the house to get clothes, pictures of his mom, etc.. The son, at the time of the disappearance, was 15. It gets creepier after that...if you can believe that.

Anyway, not sure what the rest of the episodes are about but the first two are excellent.

For those who love true crime; the first two episodes of the Unsolved Mysteries re-boot is some of the best productions around. The first episode deals with a guy whose death was ruled suicide but it is quite obvious that he didn't kill himself--even the ME would not rule the death a suicide. The second deals with the mysterious death of a salon shop owner in Georgia whose remains turned up 600 days (exactly) after her disappearance.

USM doesn't portray anyone as guilty but they all but condemn a party in each of these episodes as guilty. In the first one, the childhood friend of the decedent and current employer instituted a gag order on the company and has refused to talk to the police even though the last person known to have talked to the decedent called him from the office switchboard. In the 2nd episode, the husband of the salon shop owner changed all of the locks on the house (he says as a precaution) after the owner disappeared. Additionally he wouldn't allow the owner's son to come back into the house to get clothes, pictures of his mom, etc.. The son, at the time of the disappearance, was 15. It gets creepier after that...if you can believe that.

Anyway, not sure what the rest of the episodes are about but the first two are excellent.
FYI

On PlutoTV you can binge watch streaming Unsolved Mysteries episodes 24/7. They have a channel specifically dedicated to UM

Last edited:
The last new production streaming show I watched was Hijack starring Idris Elba. It was pretty good. I think it was six episodes; I think it would have probably been better if it had been condensed to four and they changed a few things that didn't need to happen. The ending didn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, given the writer and actors strike; it doesn't look like there are going to be too many new productions taking place anytime soon. If they were to settle today; you may see episodes around Christmas.

So I've gotten into some legacy TV and have re-discovered the Unsolved Mysteries on Tubi. The Netflix re-boot I mentioned earlier had some good stories and its fine. However I have really come to enjoy the Robert Stack hosted episodes. There is an odd sort of gravity and soberness he gives to the shows. Let me tell you about my experience with the show first. I have taken to listening to true crime podcasts on my road trips in the Southwest. Often they would reference a USM episode so I would watch the episode. Now I am watching each episode in sequence and I have to say that I have really enjoyed it. One of the things I like is when there isn't a happy ending. Like this evening I was watching it and a man thought his brother had not died in a chopper crash in Vietnam...that he had survived. He thought this because he had seen a magazine with a picture of a POW a year or so after his brother was declared dead and thought it was his brother. I won't spoil the ending but it turns out pretty sad for a few reasons.

I also like the updates that are provided to the cases. As I understand it, the producers created a website to where people--mostly amateur sleuths--are updating information. unsolved.com
There is something about the legacy still photographs from the first season--the candid low resolution snapshots of a person's life before tragedy struck--that is kinda disturbing.

They have it on Amazon Prime too. I loved the series as a kid. I watched all the episodes. I even bought books about many of the unsolved cases. it is funny after so many years I still remember most of the episodes from when I watched them so many years ago as a boy.

Forum List

Back