Unrealized Capital Gains Taxes

You dumb SOB, anyone not living paycheck to paycheck is in the investor class. Too bad you aren't included.
This would affect me greatly.

But it wouldn’t affect the run of the mill person as IRAs and 401ks would be unaffected and the vast majority of people don’t max those out anyway.
Baby cakes----when you attack any part of the market--the whole market reacts.

He doesn't pay more he actually pays less in the long run.

The guy with 2 million in a Roth will have more money to actually spend in retirement than they guy with 2 million in a traditional IRA.
He pays more when he makes the contribution.

As I said, the guy with the Roth has more money at the end, but paid more money to get to that point, meaning their cost was considerably higher. Furthermore, to make that Roth contribution, they might have paid a marginal rate of 24%. In retirement, their tax rate is probably going to be considerably lower.

I want you to listen very carefully, this isn’t about what people do or don’t do. It’s about the cost. Human behavior has nothing to do with what it costs. This is math, not psychology.

Government whats you to save for your retirement then the fuckers want to tax you to death cause you made a few bucks.:321::321::321:

The guy with 2 million in a Roth will have more money to actually spend in retirement than they guy with 2 million in a traditional IRA.

As I said, the guy with the Roth has more money at the end, but paid more money to get to that point, meaning their cost was considerably higher. Furthermore, to make that Roth contribution, they might have paid a marginal rate of 24%. In retirement, their tax rate is probably going to be considerably lower.

I want you to listen very carefully, this isn’t about what people do or don’t do. It’s about the cost. Human behavior has nothing to do with what it costs. This is math, not psychology.

This is math? WTF, and aren't you fucking loons saying math is racist?

Biden’s treasury secretary, the kook that she is, is in favor of taxing unrealized capital gains. How dumb can these folks be?

Mac1958 you voted for theve geniuses. What do you think about this ridonkulous idea?

Oaktree's Howard Marks says this tax proposal in the U.S. makes investing less attractive
That would be a shitty idea. But I've never heard her say that, so I'd need to know more. And I very much doubt that, if she did think it, it would go anywhere.

No reason to make assumptions on such thin evidence.

Virtually all of his appointee’s are kooks. Yes, Yellon thinks it is a good idea.
Biden’s treasury secretary, the kook that she is, is in favor of taxing unrealized capital gains. How dumb can these folks be?

Mac1958 you voted for theve geniuses. What do you think about this ridonkulous idea?

Oaktree's Howard Marks says this tax proposal in the U.S. makes investing less attractive
That would be a shitty idea. But I've never heard her say that, so I'd need to know more. And I very much doubt that, if she did think it, it would go anywhere.

It is not thin evidence.

She raised eyebrows of some senators and Wall Street when she said that Treasury would consider the possibility of taxing unrealized capital gains - through a “mark-to-market” mechanism - as well as other approaches to boost revenues.

Don’t kid yourself. She buys into all the left-wing kooky economic theories. The “pay their fair share” crowd and fixing “economic inequality” meaning playing Robin Hood. You voted for it and virtually all of us will pay for it.
Run a decent candidate and I'll be able to do what I prefer to do, and that's vote third party.

Run a dangerous, ignorant, destructive buffoon and I'll have to vote Democrat.

This idea won't go anywhere.
Why won't this go anywhere?

In total the guy with the Roth will have more money to spend in retirement than the guy with the traditional. The guy with the tradition pays far more taxes in total so he is the one who pays more and has less money in retirement.

And where is your proof that people contribute less to a Roth than a traditional?

And where is your proof that people contribute less to a Roth than a traditional?
I didn’t say they contribute less, I said the cost is higher for that contribution. That’s a fact.

You’re always ignoring the taxes paid on the income used to contribute to a Roth. That money is very important to calculating the cost.

Virtually all of his appointee’s are kooks. Yes, Yellon thinks it is a good idea.

It is not thin evidence.

She raised eyebrows of some senators and Wall Street when she said that Treasury would consider the possibility of taxing unrealized capital gains - through a “mark-to-market” mechanism - as well as other approaches to boost revenues.

Don’t kid yourself. She buys into all the left-wing kooky economic theories. The “pay their fair share” crowd and fixing “economic inequality” meaning playing Robin Hood. You voted for it and virtually all of us will pay for it.
Run a decent candidate and I'll be able to do what I prefer to do, and that's vote third party.

Taxing unrealized gains is ridiculous. It would put a huge dent in the financial motivation to invest. More importantly, it's not needed. We need to add two to four new, higher income tax brackets on the top end and more effectively regulate derivatives, not complicate the fundamental investing process itself.

I didn’t say they contribute less, I said the cost is higher for that contribution. That’s a fact.

You’re always ignoring the taxes paid on the income used to contribute to a Roth. That money is very important to calculating the cost.

The cost in the aggregate is much lower. That's math.

And you are ignoring the taxes that a person will pay in retirement.

I’m definitely not ignoring any part of the equation. The taxes in retirement are paid for by the extra invested money that the person with a traditional IRA has.

You’re still not comparing apples to apples because you’re completely ignoring what happens to the money you save from not paying taxes on traditional IRA contributions.

This is as brilliant as saying that investing $7000 a year is better than investing $5000 a year.

This is math? WTF, and aren't you fucking loons saying math is racist?
I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Of course you don't. It's because you're fricken ignorant.

According to Demo 'Educators,' Math Is Racist
I just don’t read fringe conservative blogs that take things from people I’ve never heard of and try to make it sound like the world is ending.

Good for you, stay ignorant.

I’m definitely not ignoring any part of the equation. The taxes in retirement are paid for by the extra invested money that the person with a traditional IRA has.

You’re still not comparing apples to apples because you’re completely ignoring what happens to the money you save from not paying taxes on traditional IRA contributions.

This is as brilliant as saying that investing $7000 a year is better than investing $5000 a year.
And those taxes are far far more than the little extra paid by the guy investing in the Roth with the result being that the guy with the traditional IRA has less to spend in retirement.

And again the taxes paid are not an investment.

The 5000 is.

Who will have more money net the guy with 2 million in a Roth or the guy with 2 million in a traditional IRA?

It is not thin evidence.

Taxing unrealized gains is ridiculous. It would put a huge dent in the financial motivation to invest. More importantly, it's not needed. We need to add two to four new, higher income tax brackets on the top end and more effectively regulate derivatives, not complicate the fundamental investing process itself.
Who's going to stop it?

And those taxes are far far more than the little extra paid by the guy investing in the Roth with the result being that the guy with the traditional IRA has less to spend in retirement.

And again the taxes paid are not an investment.

The 5000 is.

Who will have more money net the guy with 2 million in a Roth or the guy with 2 million in a traditional IRA?
Someone hasn’t heard of compound interest maybe. You save a few thousand in taxes each year, invest it and the amount will be considerable by the time you’re retirement.

Who has paid more? The guy with the 2 million Roth or the guy with the 2 million traditional IRA? Unless the costs are the same for each person, it’s not a fair question.

The answer to your question is that the person with the 2 million Roth will have more money but they paid a lot more up to that point. So yeah, the person who paid more money is going to have more in the end. No shit. That’s not the right question.

It is not thin evidence.

Who's going to stop it?
I can't imagine it getting through Congress. On the other hand, I'm lousy at predicting political stuff.

Forum List

Back