Unrealized Capital Gains Taxes

Biden’s treasury secretary, the kook that she is, is in favor of taxing unrealized capital gains. How dumb can these folks be?

Mac1958 you voted for theve geniuses. What do you think about this ridonkulous idea?

Oaktree's Howard Marks says this tax proposal in the U.S. makes investing less attractive
That would be a shitty idea. But I've never heard her say that, so I'd need to know more. And I very much doubt that, if she did think it, it would go anywhere.

No reason to make assumptions on such thin evidence.

Biden’s treasury secretary, the kook that she is, is in favor of taxing unrealized capital gains. How dumb can these folks be?

Mac1958 you voted for theve geniuses. What do you think about this ridonkulous idea?

Oaktree's Howard Marks says this tax proposal in the U.S. makes investing less attractive

That would be a shitty idea. But I've never heard her say that, so I'd need to know more. And I very much doubt that, if she did think it, it would go anywhere.

Virtually all of his appointee’s are kooks. Yes, Yellon thinks it is a good idea.

It is not thin evidence.

She raised eyebrows of some senators and Wall Street when she said that Treasury would consider the possibility of taxing unrealized capital gains - through a “mark-to-market” mechanism - as well as other approaches to boost revenues.

Don’t kid yourself. She buys into all the left-wing kooky economic theories. The “pay their fair share” crowd and fixing “economic inequality” meaning playing Robin Hood. You voted for it and virtually all of us will pay for it.

Virtually all of his appointee’s are kooks. Yes, Yellon thinks it is a good idea.

It is not thin evidence.

She raised eyebrows of some senators and Wall Street when she said that Treasury would consider the possibility of taxing unrealized capital gains - through a “mark-to-market” mechanism - as well as other approaches to boost revenues.

Don’t kid yourself. She buys into all the left-wing kooky economic theories. The “pay their fair share” crowd and fixing “economic inequality” meaning playing Robin Hood. You voted for it and virtually all of us will pay for it.
Run a decent candidate and I'll be able to do what I prefer to do, and that's vote third party.

Run a dangerous, ignorant, destructive buffoon and I'll have to vote Democrat.

This idea won't go anywhere.

It is not thin evidence.

Run a decent candidate and I'll be able to do what I prefer to do, and that's vote third party.

How was Trump destructive from a policy perspective? Seems to me these types of policies proposed by the Biden administration are far more destructive than anything Trump did.

It is not thin evidence.

How was Trump destructive from a policy perspective? Seems to me these types of policies proposed by the Biden administration are far more destructive than anything Trump did.
You know the arguments, and you'll dismiss them all.

If you don't know the arguments, you're on the internet. They won't be hard to find.

It is not thin evidence.

If you don't know the arguments, you're on the internet. They won't be hard to find.

There are very, very few reasonable arguments and none of them add up to electing Biden/Harris. 95% of the problems people have with Trump have absolutely nothing to do with policy and everything to do with personality. Sad but true and you know if if you dig down deep.

It is not thin evidence.

There are very, very few reasonable arguments and none of them add up to electing Biden/Harris. 95% of the problem with Trump has absolutely nothing to do with policy and everything to do with personality. Sad but true and you know if if you dig down deep.
I know that's what you're told, and you're free to run with it. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

You asked a question, I answered it. You're welcome.

Mac1958 you voted for these geniuses. What do you think about this ridonkulous idea?

Taxing capital gains as ordinary income would reduce tax avoidance and levels of speculation in the secondary market which, in the long run, would prove beneficial to society as a whole.

How might the taxation of capital gains be improved?

"Taxing capital gains at the same rates as ordinary income would simplify the tax system by removing major incentives for tax sheltering and other attempts to manipulate the system. This could be accomplished by taxing accrued capital gains on an annual basis."

Mac1958 you voted for these geniuses. What do you think about this ridonkulous idea?

Taxing capital gains as ordinary income would reduce tax avoidance and levels of speculation in the secondary market which, in the long run, would prove beneficial to society as a whole.

"Taxing capital gains at the same rates as ordinary income would simplify the tax system by removing major incentives for tax sheltering and other attempts to manipulate the system. This could be accomplished by taxing accrued capital gains on an annual basis."
I agree with this 100%. Capital gains and labor shouldn't be treated differently. This is one way that the wealthy game the tax system and is rife with abuse.

I agree with this 100%. Capital gains and labor shouldn't be treated differently. This is one way that the wealthy game the tax system and is rife with abuse.

You are conflating 2 different things. If you want to tax REALIZED capital gains as ordinary income that is one discussion. Taxing UNREALIZED capital gains in entirely different.

This could be accomplished by taxing accrued capital gains on an annual basis.

“Accrued capital gains” means unrealized capital gains. I guess this is meant to trick some folks. Where does this stop? We are taxed on actual income, not theoretical income. I know Democrats like this idea because it is just another way of taking down those with money. Just imagine when your tax bracket is determined by your net worth instead of your income. That will be the next thing coming down the pike from these idiots. Saved a lot in your 401(k) for retirement but only take out a small portion so you won’t be in a higher tax bracket? Eh, we can’t have that, tax those “rich” responsible folks based on how much they have in the account, not on how much they actually take out.

Democrats are thieves.

You are conflating 2 different things. If you want to tax REALIZED capital gains as ordinary income that is one discussion. Taxing UNREALIZED capital gains in entirely different.
I'm not confusing anything, I'm just responding to the statement from the previous poster.

Taxing unrealized capital gains, like any argument, has pros and cons. Yellen is just hearing the argument. No reason to get anyone's panties in a wad.

I'm not confusing anything, I'm just responding to the statement from the previous poster.

Taxing unrealized capital gains, like any argument, has pros and cons. Yellen is just hearing the argument. No reason to get anyone's panties in a wad.

There are no pros from the people’s perspective and it opens a HUGE can of worms. Want to add the increase in the value of your home to your income every year to be taxed? What if it is only applied on the investment side? Do you have any idea how this would screw up the stock market? Stocks are bought and sold based on timing the market, evaluating companies financials, etc., not based solely on tax day. If you theoretically made 20k on a stock which you haven’t sold and that extra “income” pushes you to the next tax bracket, not only are you paying higher taxes overall, but you must pay x percent of your effective tax rate for the 20k, forcing many to sell their stock prematurely. This is the end game anyway. The government wants their tax money NOW. What happens if you don’t sell and pay the extra tax and the next year the stock drops back down to what you originally paid for it. Do I get a refund on the tax I paid on that gain plus interest as well as a refund on the extra tax I paid for being bumped into another bracket?

This is just another hair-brained Democratic idea to play Robin Hood, except this Robin Hood keeps and wastes most of what he stole instead of actually giving it to those in need.

And what do you think that would do to the average small business owner?

Most small business owners count on being able to sell their business to fund their retirement. Many take lower pay than they could so they can make the business worth more.

So now you want them to pay higher taxes on their retirement nest eggs?

There is nothing good that can come of that. These types of tax schemes are never meant to get money from the rich and as usual it will be the average investor , the small business man who loses out.

There are no pros to it.

If they can tax unrealized gains then people will be able to write off unrealized losses.

Instead of simplifying taxes they will get more convoluted.

We need to toss our entire income tax code into an incinerator and start over.

It is not thin evidence.

There are very, very few reasonable arguments and none of them add up to electing Biden/Harris. 95% of the problem with Trump has absolutely nothing to do with policy and everything to do with personality. Sad but true and you know if if you dig down deep.
I know that's what you're told, and you're free to run with it. I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

You asked a question, I answered it. You're welcome.

It is not what I am told, it is what I observe. I am a fairly intellient person who isn’t so easily swayed. That cannot be said for the vast majority of Americans and certainly not the TDS crowd.

not only the wealthy can benefit from capital gains taxes.

As i said before many small business owners count on the sale of their business to fund their retirement but that one time sale would push them into a higher tax bracket and they would lose more of their nest egg to the fucking government.

Anyone can take advantage of capital gains taxes even the guy who religiously invests 50 bucks a month.

and both are bad ideas

Forum List

Back