Universal Grammar not Universally Accepted Anymore

There is no such thing as universal grammar and there will not be unless there is a universal language.....

That's not what it means. Read the link in the OP for clarification. It's pretty interesting.
The article provided cannot be accessed without subscription, something I have an aversion to.....

Ah, well this gives a general overview: quine: terms explained

Actually, what is interesting is if man has a genetic predisposition to spoken language. It has never been tested because at least two very young children would have to be completely isolated to prove or disprove.

There is no such thing as universal grammar and there will not be unless there is a universal language.....

That's not what it means. Read the link in the OP for clarification. It's pretty interesting.
The article provided cannot be accessed without subscription, something I have an aversion to.

Damn, now see, I ended a sentence with a preposition!

Well now, up with that we cannot put. If we're speaking Latin.

The article provided cannot be accessed without subscription, something I have an aversion to.....

I read that. Interesting. But my sense tells me logic rather than some kind of intuitive gobbledygook. We shall never know.

I read that. Interesting. But my sense tells me logic rather than some kind of intuitive gobbledygook. We shall never know.

Why not?

The article provided cannot be accessed without subscription, something I have an aversion to.

No, "put"is not a preposition. Actually read the word as "pre-position". It might help. Nice try.

No, "put"is not a preposition. Actually read the word as "pre-position". It might help. Nice try.

Nobody said put was a preposition. :cuckoo:

But with is, and had it been postpositioned as per common parlance...

C'mon, you can do this....

Why not?
Obviously, because we cannot distinguish between that which we inherently understand and that which may be. It is a bit like seeing colors our eyes cannot visualize or a dimension we cannot perceive.

Last edited:

Why not?
Obviously, because we cannot distinguish between that which we a inherently understand and that which may be. It is a bit like seeing colors our eyes cannot visualize or a dimension we cannot perceive.

If you read the link, some of the research upon which UG is being questioned (and rejected) by many linguists today is described.

Why not?
Obviously, because we cannot distinguish between that which we a inherently understand and that which may be. It is a bit like seeing colors our eyes cannot visualize or a dimension we cannot perceive.

If you read the link, some of the research upon which UG is being questioned (and rejected) by many linguists today is described.
Sorry, my trust of so-called authorities on abstract and matters of prediction is severely limited. I hope it is not that I am anti-intellectual but old enough to have an amazing grasp of the things which cannot be proved or disproved; the unknowable if you will.

Why not?

Sorry, my trust of so-called authorities on abstract and matters of prediction is severely limited........

Did you read about the research previous referenced?

Forum List

Back