Univ of Alabama starts Tennessee hate week.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Alabama and Tennessee have had a long standing rivalry. It has often results in runs of victory for each team. None as long as Alabama's current run, but some long ones nonetheless.

The week before the TN game is always full of jabs back and forth. Given the trash throwing in the last minute of the Ole Miss/TN game, we have had some funny ones.

As for the orange that the Vols wear......well.......Sandra Bullock said it best:

Being a Bama fan and having grown up in Tuscaloosa, I know a lot of stories dating back decades,

This is one of my favorites. (a bit of background for those who do not know, Coach Phil Fulmer was the head coach of the TN Vols for many years, and is currently the Athletic Director there. Coach Clem Gryska was an assistant coach under Bear Bryant from 1960 to 1976. And then served as assistant athletic director under Coach Bryant until Bryant retired after the 1982 season. Coach Gryska was a part of 6 National Championship teams.)

Coach Gryska.jpg

Being a Bama fan and having grown up in Tuscaloosa, I know a lot of stories dating back decades,

This is one of my favorites. (a bit of background for those who do not know, Coach Phil Fulmer was the head coach of the TN Vols for many years, and is currently the Athletic Director there. Coach Clem Gryska was an assistant coach under Bear Bryant from 1960 to 1976. And then served as assistant athletic director under Coach Bryant until Bryant retired after the 1982 season. Coach Gryska was a part of 6 National Championship teams.)

View attachment 553379
Sounds like something Tom Brady would do

The Bama/TN game is also one of the times you can reply on the Crimson Tide self reporting an NCAA violation.

It is against the rules for the players to accept gifts while members of the team.

Every year, if we beat TN, the players, coaches and fans light up a cigar. One or two of the senior players buy cigars for the entire team, which is a violation of the NCAA rules. And every year we self-report the violation. Gotta keep it honest.

The winning streaks date back almost 100 years. Alabama had a 7 game winning streak from 1905 to 1913. We are currently in a 14 game winning streak against TN, dating back to Coach Saban's first season as head coach. The Vols longest streak was 7 consecutive games.

One bit of trivia, Tennessee is the only team to have 7 consecutive victories against the Crimson Tide.

Bryant-Denny Stadium is hazy with cigar smoke from the Crimson Tide fans.

It was a great game! Close game for much of the first half.

And on Monday, Alabama will self-report an NCAA violation for the players being given cigars.

Forum List

Back