United States Supreme Court.

FJO

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2012
Just North of the 49th
This branch of Government consists of nine non-elected, life time appointed members who are the final arbiters of law passe by Congress.

Why are they there for life? The President's terms are limited by the Constitution, the Senators' and Representatives' terms are limited by voters whose heads are not in the sand, so why the special status for Supreme Court Justices?

Why are there ONLY nine? More in following significant numbers in history, why shouldn't there be THIRTEEN justices in line with the idea of thirteen original colonies? Surely that would give a wider and more diverse view and validity to the cases/bills that come for their consideration.

Should my suggestion of 13 SCOTUS Justices ever be implemented, I hope it is during the time when there is a a Republican in the Oval Office.

This branch of Government consists of nine non-elected, life time appointed members who are the final arbiters of law passe by Congress.

Why are they there for life? The President's terms are limited by the Constitution, the Senators' and Representatives' terms are limited by voters whose heads are not in the sand, so why the special status for Supreme Court Justices?

Why are there ONLY nine? More in following significant numbers in history, why shouldn't there be THIRTEEN justices in line with the idea of thirteen original colonies? Surely that would give a wider and more diverse view and validity to the cases/bills that come for their consideration.

Should my suggestion of 13 SCOTUS Justices ever be implemented, I hope it is during the time when there is a a Republican in the Oval Office.

At least part of the reason for the lifetime appointment is that it removes any pressures to vote a certain way in order to keep a job.

The problem with the Supreme Court is that Marbury v. Madison was wrongly decided. The USSC was never intended to have the dictatorial power that it has now; Liberals' abuse of it was an entirely predictable phenomenon once the initial mistake was made.

The lifetime appointment thing is harmless, but it is unfortunate that these people become addicted to their own self-importance and never want to give it up. I heard Ginzberg left instructions in her will to keep her corpse in office even after she dies. There is never any question how she will rule on any case, so filling in the blanks will be no problem.

Forum List

Back