Union thugs

COMPLETE, TOTAL, UTTER BULLSHIT! We don't have closed union shops down here, we have right-to-work laws that provide non-union workers the right to work without joining a union
So you have a right to work without a union. And what do you do when your boss says he's cutting your pay and canceling your benefits? Or what do you do if he fires you because he decides he doesn't like you?

And if you're hanging your hat on existing labor laws, keep Taft-Hartley and Glass-Steagall in mind. They used to be laws, too -- until our corporate-owned Congress wiped them out.

and we have a thriving middle class, too, thank you very much!
And just how do you think that thriving middle class came about? Do you think the union movement had something to do with it? Or do you suppose the generous nature of your slavery-oriented southern business community set it up out of the goodness of its heart?

Consider the following:

1) The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer. Cliché, sure, but it's also more true than at any time since the Gilded Age. The poor are getting poorer, wages are falling behind inflation, and social mobility is at an all-time low.

If you're in that top 1%, life is grand.

Read more: Wealth And Inequality In America

2) The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Thursday that union membership fell by 326,000 in 2006, to 15.4 million workers, bringing the percentage of employees in unions to 12 percent, down from 12.5 percent in 2005. Those figures are down from 20 percent in 1983 and from 35 percent in the 1950s.

Sharp Decline in Union Members in ’06 - New York Times

Now, do you suppose #2 could have something to do with #1? Or do you suppose it's an unrelated coincidence?

And then unions along with a push in government to pass regulations (mostly from the unions) most of that was taken care of. Now, how does that address the points that I raised at all? That's right, it does not. Try again and please do not list your bullshit movies again. You do not watch a movie if you truly want some education on a subject, particularly as large as this one. You can't fit any real education in 120 minutes particularly from Hollywood types that do not care to actually represent anything as accurate or from more than one biased view.

Yet again -- So, again, if you don't wish to spend time reading about the union movement, rent and watch the list of movies I've recommended.

Are you really trying to claim that those films are accurate portrayals of the movement? Do you realize that Hollywood has a very liberal bias and therefore they are not reliable sources?

This is like asking us to watch Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9 11 as an accurate description of George Bush's Presidency.
Why don't you watch some of them before passing judgment?

I recommend them as an alternative to reading about the union movement, which most people don't care to do. The movies are not as informative but I assure you they are based on solid facts and for that reason alone they are 100% better than remaining ignorant.

[/B]
Yet again -- So, again, if you don't wish to spend time reading about the union movement, rent and watch the list of movies I've recommended.

Are you really trying to claim that those films are accurate portrayals of the movement? Do you realize that Hollywood has a very liberal bias and therefore they are not reliable sources?

This is like asking us to watch Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9 11 as an accurate description of George Bush's Presidency.

I recommend them as an alternative to reading about the union movement, which most people don't care to do. The movies are not as informative but I assure you they are based on solid facts and for that reason alone they are 100% better than remaining ignorant.

I'm sorry, but being asked to watch Norma Rae as educational material in regards to the Labor Movement doesn't fly. Sally Fields is an excellent actress, but that doesn't mean the screenwriters portrayed the issue with any kind of reality.

I'm sorry that you cannot understand that.

You may as well tell me that I should read the Huffington Post daily in order to learn about the great things that President Obama has done for the country.

Immie

[/B]

I HAVE watched them; I have also studied history (you know, the REAL kind, the kind you get from graduate-level classes, legitimate textbooks, and primary source material), and those movies are biased, fictionalized, and otherwise unreliable as genuine historical education on the subject. In other words, propaganda, intended to support an agenda. "Based on facts" does not preclude playing fast and loose with those facts, as anyone who has watched a Michael Moore movie knows. Only a fool would call THAT history.....oh wait.....:lol:

Last edited:
I HAVE watched them; I have also studied history (you know, the REAL kind, the kind you get from graduate-level classes, legitimate textbooks, and primary source material), and those movies are biased, fictionalized, and otherwise unreliable as genuine historical education on the subject. In other words, propaganda, intended to support an agenda. "Based on facts" does not preclude playing fast and loose with those facts, as anyone who has watched a Michael Moore movie knows. Only a fool would call THAT history.....oh wait.....:lol:
I don't know what you've been reading but I recommend the following four for specific reference to this topic:

Not Your Father's Union Movement

Histories Of Labor

Rebuilding Labor (Organizing and Organizers In The New Union Movement)

Labor Pains: Inside the New Union Movement

If your library doesn't have them you can get all four from Amazon.

Before there were unions there was unconstrained capitalism, meaning employees witout high-level skills were voluntary slaves. They were paid a minimal wage. They were forced to work 12 -14 hour days, on weekends and holidays, with no compensatory overtime. They had no paid vacations and no benefits whatsoever. And if they complained they were fired and replaced by what came to be known as "scabs." And if it were not for the union movement those conditions would exist today.

So there is a good reason why scabs should not be tolerated and it has nothing to do with needs, willingness and worthiness. When the bosses are unconstrainted by union regulations all labor will be scab labor and the scabs will be scabbed until what today is known as middle class would still be the massive volunteer slave class which was constructively transformed by the union movement.

So, again, if you don't wish to spend time reading about the union movement, rent and watch the list of movies I've recommended. Just because they are movies doesn't mean they aren't educational. And what you've said above makes it clear that you need some education on this topic.

Harlan County USA
The Molly McGuires
On The Waterfront
The Organizer
Native Land
Norma Rae
Matewan
Hoffa
And then unions along with a push in government to pass regulations (mostly from the unions) most of that was taken care of. Now, how does that address the points that I raised at all? That's right, it does not. Try again and please do not list your bullshit movies again. You do not watch a movie if you truly want some education on a subject, particularly as large as this one. You can't fit any real education in 120 minutes particularly from Hollywood types that do not care to actually represent anything as accurate or from more than one biased view.

That is the second time that you pulled a minor sentence out of my post so that you could ignore the grater points. Go back and read and try actually addressing the points.

I am fully aware of this history with the unions such as the teamsters which is why Hoffa's comments the other day bothered me so much
James Hoffa 'Let's Take These Son of a Bitches Out Video' RightFace.us - YouTube

Ah, you were bothered, poor baby. You and the other members of the echo chamber following Hannity's rant about Hoffa's comment blistered the web with your feigned outrage. You're nothing but a parrot P_P, go get a cracker (plenty of 'em in the South).

Psst... Your racism is showing.

he was just angry at me for neg repping him for a post that was a pure troll and added nothing to a conversation earlier in the day.

Wry had never come across as a racist until I made him angry :lol:

This is just the beginning You will see these thugs used by Obama to steal the upcoming election. He will use this and racism to get elected.

:lol:

It is all he gots, thugs and using the race card. now it is said that if you don't agree or support or criticize you are a racist. If you want a smaller sized government then you are a racist. This administration can not run on their record.

This is just the beginning You will see these thugs used by Obama to steal the upcoming election. He will use this and racism to get elected.

:lol:

It is all he gots, thugs and using the race card. now it is said that if you don't agree or support or criticize you are a racist. If you want a smaller sized government then you are a racist. This administration can not run on their record.

They know that and that is the entire purpose for that speech and new 'jobs' plan that is being completely mislabeled as a jobs plan since it is a stimulus plan. Another failed idea but he is going to use it to parrot the republicans are against jobs!!!

Of course, I don't think the people are going to go for another campaign like the first and that is what this is.

They know that and that is the entire purpose for that speech and new 'jobs' plan that is being completely mislabeled as a jobs plan since it is a stimulus plan. Another failed idea but he is going to use it to parrot the republicans are against jobs!!!

Of course, I don't think the people are going to go for another campaign like the first and that is what this is.

Hey its very transparant and obama promised tranparancy ;)

I still don't get how obama and the democrats can keep banging the drum about republican's wanting to take things away from people when it was the Dems and the obama admin who cut 500billion from medicare with the obamacare bill?

Forum List

Back