Unified European Language.

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Will Europe develop a unified language for schools, local government, and business? India has successfully implemented the English language in this fashion, and unified. Even the nation states within the EU selected a national language and implemented it. Will the EU succeed to select and implement such a unified pan-European language?

NO. The better question is whether the EU will persist in any way over the next 50 years.

I think it's far more likely that those companies that do business with other EU nations have either corporate officers or translators on their staffs who speak several languages and who will help them to better communicate with their neighboring but foreign clients/vendors.

Of all the EU's troubles, this is not at all high among them.

Will Europe develop a unified language for schools, local government, and business? India has successfully implemented the English language in this fashion, and unified. Even the nation states within the EU selected a national language and implemented it. Will the EU succeed to select and implement such a unified pan-European language?

The EU has 24 official languages and it keeps growing. They encourage people to be multilingual, and especially their representatives, to speak their native tongue and two other languages as well.

They ave been instrumental in reviving languages that were considered extinct before the EU was formed.

I wish the United States would adopt a policy of language revival. It is sad when a people lose their language.

I wish the United States would adopt a policy of language revival. It is sad when a people lose their language.

What sort of government policy are you thinking of?

Linguists are working to record and save the many, many dying languages all over the world. Sometimes languages are pushed to extinction and sometimes they just die out naturally. It's the same sort of process that applies to plants and animals.

As for the EU, knowledge of English or German pretty much covers most people participating in that questionable union; and France would never agree to a single language unless it was theirs.

Linguists are working to record and save the many, many dying languages all over the world. Sometimes languages are pushed to extinction and sometimes they just die out naturally. It's the same sort of process that applies to plants and animals.

As for the EU, knowledge of English or German pretty much covers most people participating in that questionable union; and France would never agree to a single language unless it was theirs.

WOW. No need to get so angry. You can have policies that encourage things, like being multilingual, but not mandating actions.

The EU is no more questionable than the Soviet Union or the United States,

Ainu was an extinct language that was revived. So is Irish and many Native American lamguages.

WOW. No need to get so angry. .

Where do you read anger in my post?

The EU is no more questionable than the Soviet Union or the United States,

It most certainly is more questionable than both of those, and the USSR itself was clearly more questionable than the USA.

Ainu was an extinct language that was revived. So is Irish and many Native American lamguages.

Neither Ainu nor Gaelic were "extinct," though they were diminishing and have experienced a resurgence to a degree.

English. It is a universal language and is the language that is understood by 51% of European adults, more than any other language. If it were three languages, I'd add German and French.

All 24 official languages of the EU are accepted as working languages, but in practice only three are used most often: English, French, and German. Of these, English is the most common.

Languages of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

English. It is a universal language and is the language that is understood by 51% of European adults, more than any other language.

The rest of the EU would never go for it. Besides, if the EU does fall apart the UK might be one of the first to jump ship.

I think Sanskrit is the language that can unify European Union. Of course, they have to have a mass learning program across entire EU first but after initial difficult phase, it should be a breeze.

Esperanto failed. So I think any attempt to create unified language will fail in the nearest 700 years. or more. language is important part of national identity, so if anybody wants to spread one language over many nations, first they should establish "global citizenship"

Forum List

Back