Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee in Mexico

Hawk1981

VIP Member
Apr 1, 2020
Following the annexation of the Republic of Texas in 1845, the United States and Mexico engaged in armed conflict over the disputed regions bordering Texas and northeastern Mexico. The United States Congress declared war in May 1846 after the Mexican declaration of a defensive war the previous month. The US Army began operations to invade Mexico. General Zachary Taylor started his advance into south Texas with the aim of occupying Mexican territory as far south as Monterrey.

Lieutenant Ulysses S. Grant served in General Taylor's command prior to the outbreak of hostilities in Louisiana along the Texas border. Grant moved with the army when it was ordered to the Rio Grande River and saw action in the Battles of Palo Alto and Resaca de la Palma, where he led a cavalry charge. A daring and resourceful soldier, Grant distinguished himself at the Battle of Monterrey by carrying a dispatch past snipers while hanging off the side of his mount, keeping the horse between him and the enemy.

a1.PNG

Lieutenant Ulysses S. Grant, US Army

General Winfield Scott was selected by President Polk and Congress to lead the United States expedition to assault Mexico City. Scott's army landed a Veracruz in March 1847, and set off on the approximate route of Hernan Cortes when his army assaulted Mexico City in 1519.

Captain of Engineers, Robert E. Lee was one of General Scott's staff officers and landed with him at Veracruz, following the completion of the journey from New Orleans. Lee was one of Scott's chief aides and was instrumental in several American victories through his personal reconnaissance as a staff officer. As related in Grant's Personal Memoirs, "After the arrival of the commanding-general upon the scene, reconnaissances were sent out to find, or to make, a road by which the rear of the enemy's works might be reached without a front attack. These reconnaissances were made under the supervision of Captain Robert E. Lee..." Later in the month, the roads flanking the enemy were completed. "This was accomplished without the knowledge of Santa Anna or his army, and over ground where he supposed it impossible."

a2.PNG

Captain Robert E. Lee, US Army

Grant's unit joined General Scott's command at Veracruz with Grant serving as a quartermaster. Lee worked at positioning troops and artillery. Both soldiers were commended for their service, Grant receiving two brevet commendations, and Lee three. The army worked its way to Mexico City fighting battles at Cerro Gordo, Contreras, Churubusco and Chapultepec, where Lee was wounded. Grant participated in the bloody assault of Molino del Rey, and both of the men were among the victorious forces that entered Mexico City.

Captain Lee and Lieutenant Grant were among dozens of American veterans of the war with Mexico who would serve on both sides of the American Civil War. Grant, who would later state that he thought the political reasons for the war with Mexico were a mistake, wrote in his memoirs that "The Southern rebellion was largely the outgrowth of the Mexican war. Nations, like individuals, are punished for their transgressions. We got our punishment in the most sanguinary and expensive war of modern times."

a3.PNG

Captain Lee won high praise from General Scott when he said that Lee was "gallant and indefatigable," saying that Lee had displayed the "greatest feat of physical and moral courage performed by any individual in [his] knowledge during the campaign." He would continue a distinguished career in the US Army, but would refuse to command it when General Scott advised President Lincoln to offer it to Lee in 1861, stating "I declined the offer he made me to take command of the army that was brought into the field, stating candidly and as courteously as I could that though opposed to secession and deprecating war, I could take no part in the invasion of the southern states."

Lieutenant Grant left the army in the early 1850s after a serious bout of loneliness at a post distant from his family led to problems with alcohol. He tried and failed at several occupations, until returning to the army at the start of the Civil War, and rapidly rising through the ranks to take command of it.

In April 1865, General Grant accepted the surrender of General Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. In his Personal Memoirs Grant described the meeting this way, "We soon fell into a conversation about old army times. He remarked that he remembered me very well in the old army; and I told him that as a matter of course I remembered him perfectly, but from the difference in our rank and years (there being about sixteen year's difference in our ages), I had thought it very likely that I had not attracted his attention sufficiently to be remembered by him after such a long interval. Our conversation grew so pleasant that I almost forgot the object of our meeting. After the conversation had run on in this style for some time, General Lee called my attention to the object of our meeting, and said that he had asked for this interview for the purpose of getting from me the terms I proposed to give his army."

a5.PNG

Lee and Grant at Appomattox

U.S. Grant wrote about the annexation of Texas and the War with Mexico in his Personal Memoirs:

"Generally, the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not so all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory."

Though he generally kept political opinions to himself, Robert E. Lee, like most officers in the antebellum US Army tended in the direction of the Whig Party. The political judgments he did make were usually connected with whether a Democratic administration would look favorably on the professional advancement of Whig-identified officers.

Lee’s later reflections on the Mexican-America War, and the indifference of a Democratic administration to the reward of Whig officers, turned him decisively against annexation and absorption of Mexican territory.

One of Grant's best friends from the Military Academy was James Longstreet, who became General Robert E. Lee's principal subordinate during the Civil War. Grant and Longstreet attended West Point together for three years, and served in the same regiment after Grant graduated. They then served together in the Mexican-American War.

Longstreet fought in several battles and was severely wounded while charging up the hill with his regimental colors at Chapultepec. He was breveted three times for bravery.

a4.PNG

James Longstreet, US Army

He is considered one of the Civil War's most gifted tactical commanders by historians, but his reputation in the South suffered after the war due in part to his critical comments regarding General Lee in his memoirs, and his cooperation with his old friend President Grant. Longstreet enjoyed a successful post-war career working for the US government as a diplomat, civil servant, and administrator.

This OP was fascinating, as all history is.

What impressed me most, however, was the superb personal qualities of Generals Grant and Lee.

They were genuine gentlemen -- unlike the individuals today who join mobs to tear down those soldiers' statues.

did you know?

Grant was president of the NRA for one year, six years after his presidency ended

General Grant was one of a series of Union generals to serve as NRA president in the early years of the organization.

The list includes these generals:

Ambrose Burnside
Alexander Shaler
Winfield Scott Hancock
U.S. Grant
Philip Sheridan

Forum List

Back