uh oh.... democrats going to stop BP from paying dividends??

Ask Governor Jindal why he is asking for Federal Aid at all. Wasn't he against expansion of the Federal Government?

An active hurricane season. Do you think that those sand berms will do the least good?

Word.

Why wasn't Jindal demanding funding for the project from the oil industry???

Why wasn't he demanding workers from the oil industry get the fuck down to Louisiana immediately and start building his Berms???

His attitude about Federal "interference" in corporate issues sure did turn around fast when the corporations started to fuck with his backyard, didn't it??

So, why didn't he ask them to do it? It's their fucking fault, after all.

Not sure if shareholders should be "punished" too?

What planet have you been living on friend? The market pays when there is success and doesn't when things go wrong. That's why it's referred to as being "risky".

Go ahead and blame the democrats if you must but the market corrects itself independently of politics. I betcha it's already too late to sell bub. Oh yeah it's all the dem's fault. Sure. Never mind it was Reagan who began the big deregulation move and more freedom for corporations which resulted in no oversight by government. Never mind it was little dicky cheney and his buds (including the puppet W) who brought the big oil family into the white house for eight years. Yeah, blame Clinton why don't you? Pathetic. Hey let's blame gore too. but never any republican oh no.

BP fucked up and how exactly should that be turned into profits for investors? That's ridiculous.:(

Last edited:
I cant believe people are arguing that dividends are being pushed out to save BP $.... most of that money will hit people who have no other interest with BP and will simply pocket the money themselves, its not like BP will get it back it

What are you talking about? You're telling us the shareholders of BP have no interest in BP other than getting paid? Maybe that's part of the problem! Sounds like it should be their problem, not ours.

also, dividends are timed, it snot like BP is rushing them out to save paying fines or w/e
What's to stop them from paying a special dividend? They could pay the entire corporation out in a single dividend if they wanted. Then all the shareholders would get their cut and none of BP's creditors would be able to touch it.

Yea, good luck with that. And the consequences of that little threat. Honestly, does no politician ever think through their ideas?

While I actually have no problem with it in theory, the results - both short and long term - would be pretty detrimental to the US generally.

a. BP, and other foreign companies, are likely to pull their investments from the US - including the jobs that their investments bring - to put their profits outside the grasp of a bunch of drooling fools in DC.

b. Most pension plans - including those of the majority of US Unions - will tank even further. Because huge numbers of US pension plans hold BP shares.

That's just for starters.

Those of you who think this is a great idea, are fucking morons. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

a. BP, and other foreign companies, are likely to pull their investments from the US - including the jobs that their investments bring - to put their profits outside the grasp of a bunch of drooling fools in DC.

Why would other foreign companies do this? Are there other foreign companies destroying entire ecosystems? Is their another large foreign company as likely to go bankrupt from the damages it is causing?
b. Most pension plans - including those of the majority of US Unions - will tank even further. Because huge numbers of US pension plans hold BP shares.

Most pension plans will have large numbers of stocks and not a huge percentage all in a single stocks. Only 15% or so of BP ADR is held by institutional and fund investors - compared this with Exxon with over 50%. BP constitutes a small percentage of U.S. institutional and fund holdings compared to other large oil companies.

Those of you who think this is a great idea, are fucking morons. And that's not an opinion, it's a fact.

So far you're only justification for it being a bad idea is that it would hurt BP shareholders. BP shareholders made an investment that turned out to be crappy. They are supposed to hurt.

Last edited:
Great. Sarbox has already drive a great deal of financial market activity out of the U.S. Let's do even more to drive business off shore.

So now you're worried that the offshore drilling might be driven offshore?:clap2:

are you really as stupid as you lead us to believe or is this an act?

Evidence suggests that sangha is actually as stupid as we are being led to believe. Frightening, isn't it?

No I don't think so. I would be calling on our Government to move their ass instead of applying red tape. Just as I am now.

We all know there will be plenty of time to point fingers and place blame. There is no time left to protect the beeches and wetlands.

Does placing blame somehow interfere with the effort to stop the destruction?

Somehow I think that the country can multi-task.

And we all know the right-wingers have been placing LOTS of blame while not actually doing much at all.

Take the folks on this board, for example. They're all bitching and moaning about Obama not doing enough to help, and THEY aren't doing squat except posting complaints on a posting board. Have any of them gone down to the Gulf to scrub beaches and wash birds?

Has Rush Limbaugh lifted even one of his fat little fingers to help?

Meanwhile Obama has diverted half the friggin' Navy to the effort, as well as most of his waking hours.

I found your youtube plea VLWC! Nice.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_PXzpKi3s]YouTube - Leave Obama ALONE![/ame]

I see you're still worrying about the offshore drilling being driven offshore

PS - the answer is "Halliburton"

SO offshore drilling is part of the financial markets? I sure don't understand that, but I'd just LOVE to hear you explain it. I could always use a chuckle

Oh my. Back to the beginning.

This thread is about preventing BP from paying dividends. Those are financial transactions. BP is a British plc. They are perfectly free to move their financial activity out of the U.S. Sarbox was kneejerk legislation enacted as a political response to Enron, which punishes companies who do not break the law. The net impact of this has been to reduce IPO activity and relocate financial activity to non-U.S. exchanges.

If you think the U.S. losing its primacy as a financial center is good for the country, then recheck your premise.

Now, for the employee base of BP in the Gulf: a great deal of them are Americans who live in the gulf region. The fishing industry has been virtually wiped out due to the oil spill. Let's complete devastate the region by wiping out the oil industry as well. That'd be real good. Gulf sourced oil fuels about 10% of the economic activity in the U.S. If you're lucky, perhaps the loss of it will decimate your job.

Ah yes. Wonderful trick there. Almost every source of income for those that live in the Gulf has now been destroyed by the Petroleum industry. So now they can pay half as much for people to work for them, where can they work?

I say eliminate all off shore drilling. Period. Tax oil produced and imported by at least $5 a barrel, and use the money to reimburse those whose livlihood has destroyed by BP. Then put together a bill to put money into R and D to replace petroleum with electricity for transportation. And build a new grid to pick up the alternative energy.

I guess you're probably too vitriolic to realize that most of the major 'petroleum' industry are actually 'energy' corporations. Most of them invest heavily in R&D for alternative energy. BP has invested over $36bn in the US alone researching alternative energies. It owns one of the largest wind farms in the US and employs over 29,000 people in the US alone.

Think! Try to avoid knee jerk reactions.

Oh my. Back to the beginning.

This thread is about preventing BP from paying dividends. Those are financial transactions. BP is a British plc. They are perfectly free to move their financial activity out of the U.S. Sarbox was kneejerk legislation enacted as a political response to Enron, which punishes companies who do not break the law. The net impact of this has been to reduce IPO activity and relocate financial activity to non-U.S. exchanges.

If you think the U.S. losing its primacy as a financial center is good for the country, then recheck your premise.

Now, for the employee base of BP in the Gulf: a great deal of them are Americans who live in the gulf region. The fishing industry has been virtually wiped out due to the oil spill. Let's complete devastate the region by wiping out the oil industry as well. That'd be real good. Gulf sourced oil fuels about 10% of the economic activity in the U.S. If you're lucky, perhaps the loss of it will decimate your job.

Ah yes. Wonderful trick there. Almost every source of income for those that live in the Gulf has now been destroyed by the Petroleum industry. So now they can pay half as much for people to work for them, where can they work?

I say eliminate all off shore drilling. Period. Tax oil produced and imported by at least $5 a barrel, and use the money to reimburse those whose livlihood has destroyed by BP. Then put together a bill to put money into R and D to replace petroleum with electricity for transportation. And build a new grid to pick up the alternative energy.

I guess you're probably too vitriolic to realize that most of the major 'petroleum' industry are actually 'energy' corporations. Most of them invest heavily in R&D for alternative energy. BP has invested over $36bn in the US alone researching alternative energies. It owns one of the largest wind farms in the US and employs over 29,000 people in the US alone.

Who fucking cares what BP's other investments are? As far as I'm concerned - and any rational U.S. citizen that loves their country - there are only two aspects of BP that are relevant at all right now - 1) their ability to cap the leak - and 2) their ability to pay for damages. Since paying dividends may hinder their ability to pay damages, I think we should seize any dividend paid on a BP ADR until the damages are all paid for, at which point we can return any part of it that is left over after the damages are paid.

Last edited:

Who fucking cares what BP's other investments are? As far as I'm concerned - and any rational U.S. citizen that loves their country - there are only two aspects of BP that are relevant at all right now - 1) their ability to cap the leak - and 2) their ability to pay for damages. Since paying dividends may hinder their ability to pay damages, I think we should seize any dividend paid on a BP ADR until the damages are all paid for, at which point we can return any part of it that is left over after the damages are paid.

So you think breaking contract law and imposing a 100% dividend tax on shareholders of companies is an acceptable process by which corporations are held accountable in the event of an environmental disaster.
Where is this written into law or the Constitution?

So you think breaking contract law and imposing a 100% dividend tax on shareholders of companies is an acceptable process by which corporations are held accountable in the event of an environmental disaster.

Uhhh, the government took over GM and AIG. What makes you think they couldn't do it to BP?

Its really quite simple, IMO. You first put together evidence that BP may wind up owing more than its worth as a company. Then you bring this to a federal judge and ask him to freeze BP's U.S. assets pending the resolution of the damages they owe.

Who fucking cares? Well, any INTELLIGENT American who loves their country does. Because if corporations don't provide the investment - where the hell is the money gonna come from? Taxpayers? You want to add yet MORE debt onto your grandchildren? You may not give a shit about America but I do. I don't want YOUR grandchildren burdened with debt due to OUR incompetence.

I am not saying that BP should not pay - or that it's shareholders should not take the hit - I am saying that it is not for the US Government to make that happen. It will happen anyway. All the Government are doing is playing politics. There is no need to 'take' the dividends - BP are spending the money anyway.... All this sort of knee jerk, hysterical reaction does is make other corporations consider whether they should pull their investment out of the US. And that would be a HUGELY bad thing.

Honestly, if you could just stop being hysterical for a few minutes and think logically and without any bias, you would understand it. It's not hard.

Uhhh, the government took over GM and AIG. What makes you think they couldn't do it to BP?

Its really quite simple, IMO. You first put together evidence that BP may wind up owing more than its worth as a company. Then you bring this to a federal judge and ask him to freeze BP's U.S. assets pending the resolution of the damages they owe.

Yea, let's do that.... and then let's watch every other foreign company that invests money into the US economy - and those jobs - run out of the country.

Fucking hell, you are dumb.

Who fucking cares? Well, any INTELLIGENT American who loves their country does. Because if corporations don't provide the investment - where the hell is the money gonna come from? Taxpayers? You want to add yet MORE debt onto your grandchildren? You may not give a shit about America but I do. I don't want YOUR grandchildren burdened with debt due to OUR incompetence.

I am not saying that BP should not pay - or that it's shareholders should not take the hit - I am saying that it is not for the US Government to make that happen. It will happen anyway. All the Government are doing is playing politics. There is no need to 'take' the dividends - BP are spending the money anyway.... All this sort of knee jerk, hysterical reaction does is make other corporations consider whether they should pull their investment out of the US. And that would be a HUGELY bad thing.

Honestly, if you could just stop being hysterical for a few minutes and think logically and without any bias, you would understand it. It's not hard.

Honey, we're not talking about "corporations" - we're talking about a single corporation that is going to owe a whole helluva a lot of money to U.S. citizens. Can you get that through your pretty little head?

BP DOES INTEND to continue paying dividends, so yes, there IS a need to take them if they are paid. A company that is facing potential bankruptcy for its damages shouldn't be allowed to simply pay itself out to its shareholders.

Yea, let's do that.... and then let's watch every other foreign company that invests money into the US economy - and those jobs - run out of the country.

I'm really not concerned that would happen, because it wouldn't. Foreign companies aren't going to leave all the profit they are making in the U.S. simply because we take steps to ensure BP will have the money to pay its debts, that's just fucking stupid... It's an absurd suggestion, but its not surprising coming from someone who regularly defends BP against all logical odds and at whatever cost to reason necessary.

I'm really not concerned that would happen, because it wouldn't. Foreign companies aren't going to leave all the profit they are making in the U.S. simply because we take steps to ensure BP will have the money to pay its debts, that's just fucking stupid... It's an absurd suggestion, but its not surprising coming from someone who regularly defends BP against all logical odds and at whatever cost to reason necessary.

No, it isn't. Seriously, you need to study this shit more. Because when governments start grabbing assets etc, corporations - who can make the same money investing elsewhere - will leave.

You constantly accuse me of 'defending' BP. If requiring actual evidence, and thinking more about the best interests of my country is 'defending' BP to you, then fine. That just makes you a bigger moron than I had credited you as. Those of normal intellect can tell the difference between 'defending' and not being an hysterical whiner.

Oh....so now it's OK to just let the government take over companies whenever it suits their fancy...are you actually Hugo Chavez but using a fake I.D. here on USMB?
Is BP too big to fail?:lol:

No, it isn't. Seriously, you need to study this shit more. Because when governments start grabbing assets etc, corporations - who can make the same money investing elsewhere - will leave.

You constantly accuse me of 'defending' BP.

Well you don't want to actually take steps to ensure they pay their damages based on some vague general feeling you have that other corporations that aren't spilling tens of thousands of barrels of oil on our shores and who aren't about to get the shit sued out of them would leave, so yes, I'd call that defending them.

If requiring actual evidence, and thinking more about the best interests of my country is 'defending' BP to you, then fine. That just makes you a bigger moron than I had credited you as. Those of normal intellect can tell the difference between 'defending' and not being an hysterical whiner.

Its pretty easy to see you don't want BP to actually pay its damages. You'd rather they pay dividends out to shareholders instead. How this is not defending BP I have no clue.

Oh....so now it's OK to just let the government take over companies whenever it suits their fancy...are you actually Hugo Chavez but using a fake I.D. here on USMB?
Is BP too big to fail?:lol:

If you don't get the reasons that BP in particular needs to be treated differently then I guess you're just plain stupid and there's nothing more I can do for you.

Forum List

Back