UAW attempts to take over VW again in Tennessee

First of all, voting for a union does not guarantee a good union contract for the workers and since Tennessee is a RTW state, individual employees do not have to join it or pay full dues. I'm not sure what VW will do in this instance, would they decide to close the plant? How profitable will it be if they have to deal with a union? I'd bet money they and every other foreign carmaker might be reassessing their decisions about building new auto plants (or non-auto plants) in the US. I don't know how profitable that plant is, but it definitely won't be as profitable in the future and management will be looking at all their options. most of which will not be in their employee's favor. So, if no contract is agreed to, what then? Walk-off the job? With no contract yet in place, you can be fired or laid-off, right? And this could wind up in court for months or years; how long will those employees be without a paycheck? So, I'm guessing if a new labor contract is eventually agreed to, it will not be the panacea that the workers imagined it would be. And you can bet that VW isn't going to agree to any deal that hamstrings their decisions down the road.

A full of anti-union bullshit statement

I dunno. Maybe VW and the UAW will agree to a reasonable contract, that's the best scenario for the workers. I suppose it depends on what the definition of 'reasonable' is.
That's the problem with Unions. No one can define what 'reasonable' other than more money.

And then the problem becomes, reasonable today isn't the same as reasonable tomorrow.

GM and Chrysler both failed due to the fact they had a contract, that might have been reasonable two years prior, but was no longer reasonable at that time.

The only constant about the market, is that the market will change. And Union contracts prevent the company from adapting to changing conditions.

So even if the Union is reasonable today, the market can change, and then they all lose their jobs.

That's the problem with Unions. No one can define what 'reasonable' other than more money.

And then the problem becomes, reasonable today isn't the same as reasonable tomorrow.

GM and Chrysler both failed due to the fact they had a contract, that might have been reasonable two years prior, but was no longer reasonable at that time.

The only constant about the market, is that the market will change. And Union contracts prevent the company from adapting to changing conditions.

So even if the Union is reasonable today, the market can change, and then they all lose their jobs.
GM and Chrysler didn’t fail. They got out completed on quality as their management took advantage of the US consumer to always buy American. The Japanese auto makers focused on building a better car.

Unions in the past won hard found wages, safety measures and the 5day week.

They still are needed today as billionaire’s claim they can’t compete unless the worker is exploited for the company.

Don't know what a g worker is, but I do hope the next generations of upcoming workers will do better than we did.
Working really hard doesn't get one very far. It's all about who you know. Most employers have a hatred for their best workers.

Most employers have a hatred for their best workers.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would an employer hate productive and reliable workers?

In reality, you have things half assed backwards. Its Big Labor that hates the reliable and capable employees, because those folks are in demand from employers and don't need to have business agents protect their jobs.

The best workers use their skills against their employers. They let their bosses know they are constantly on the lookout for better.

The best workers use their skills against their employers. They let their bosses know they are constantly on the lookout for better.

You aren't a very good employee at all, if you are looking to screw the fellow signing your pay check and are seeking to destroy the business.

At least not in my view.

I'm retired. Been retired for over 25 years now. So glad to be out of the rotten God awful american rat race. We need millions more people retiring and leaving the workforce sooner.

Working really hard doesn't get one very far. It's all about who you know. Most employers have a hatred for their best workers.

I would say that most of the time, working hard will get you farther than not working hard. Laziness and incompetence will generally get you fired and deservedly so. As for most employers hating their best workers, that's bullshit. No idea where you got that idea from.

I would say that most of the time, working hard will get you farther than not working hard. Laziness and incompetence will generally get you fired and deservedly so. As for most employers hating their best workers, that's bullshit. No idea where you got that idea from.
By the way they are treated.

The United Auto Workers at the Volkwagen plant in Chattanooga TN, voted to Unionize. Suck on that

Tennessee Volkswagen Employess Overwhelming Vote To Join United Autoworkers.

Tennessee still has right-to-work

So going union is largely symbolic

OK, so the Chattanooga VW plant votes to unionize, but they don't have a contract yet. What if VW never agrees to a labor contract, what then? Does the plant stay in operation, but the workers stage a walk-out? How long might the workers be without a paycheck? I don't believe the gov't can force VW to agree to any contract. Is there a precedent? I don't know of one. Does VW have a UAW unionized plant elsewhere in the US? VW might not want to send the time and money in a court battle over the labor agreement, they might just say fuck it and close it up.

GM and Chrysler didn’t fail. They got out completed on quality as their management took advantage of the US consumer to always buy American. The Japanese auto makers focused on building a better car.

Unions in the past won hard found wages, safety measures and the 5day week.

They still are needed today as billionaire’s claim they can’t compete unless the worker is exploited for the company.
Have worked at a GM facility and talked to the people there, quality a function of cost.
If you have to pay dramatically higher prices to cover a union contract, that money has to come from somewhere, and usually it's quality.

I'm not sure why that's hard to understand.

OK, so the Chattanooga VW plant votes to unionize, but they don't have a contract yet. What if VW never agrees to a labor contract, what then? Does the plant stay in operation, but the workers stage a walk-out? How long might the workers be without a paycheck? I don't believe the gov't can force VW to agree to any contract. Is there a precedent? I don't know of one. Does VW have a UAW unionized plant elsewhere in the US? VW might not want to send the time and money in a court battle over the labor agreement, they might just say fuck it and close it up.
Yes to all that.

That is totally not true. As someone who has hired and fired, I greatly support having the best employees.

Now I have seen times when the company didn't know which employees were good. But that is not the same as hating the best employees.

Forum List

Back