U.S. to remove "squaw" from hundreds of federal lands place names

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
About time, I suppose--I wonder if Puta Creek is still OK?:

The Biden administration will remove the word “squaw” from place names on federal land as part of an effort to reckon with the nation's racist past, the Department of Interior said on Friday.
The word, a term for Indigenous women that Native Americans find offensive, is used in more than 650 place names on federal lands, according to the Department.
Several states, including Maine, Minnesota and Montana, have already banned the use of the term in place names.
"Racist terms have no place in our vernacular or on our federal lands," said Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, the nation's first Native American cabinet official.
"Our nation's lands and waters should be places to celebrate the outdoors and our shared cultural heritage - not to perpetuate the legacies of oppression."
She said her agency would also create an advisory committee to begin a review to find and replace other derogatory names of places on federal land.
The so-called Advisory Committee on Reconciliation in Place Names will be comprised of representatives from tribes, Native Hawaiians, civil rights and cultural studies experts and members of the public.
The committee's creation is aimed at accelerating the renaming of properties. Currently, there are hundreds of name changes pending before the Board on Geographic Names, and the process can take years, the Department said.
A Native American rights group applauded Haaland's action.
"It is well past time for us, as a nation, to move forward, beyond these derogatory terms, and show Native people - and all people - equal respect," John Echohawk, executive director of the Native American Rights Fund, said in a statement.

About time, I suppose--I wonder if Puta Creek is still OK?:

The Biden administration will remove the word “squaw” from place names on federal land as part of an effort to reckon with the nation's racist past, the Department of Interior said on Friday.
The word, a term for Indigenous women that Native Americans find offensive, is used in more than 650 place names on federal lands, according to the Department.
Several states, including Maine, Minnesota and Montana, have already banned the use of the term in place names.
"Racist terms have no place in our vernacular or on our federal lands," said Interior Secretary Deb Haaland, the nation's first Native American cabinet official.
"Our nation's lands and waters should be places to celebrate the outdoors and our shared cultural heritage - not to perpetuate the legacies of oppression."
She said her agency would also create an advisory committee to begin a review to find and replace other derogatory names of places on federal land.
The so-called Advisory Committee on Reconciliation in Place Names will be comprised of representatives from tribes, Native Hawaiians, civil rights and cultural studies experts and members of the public.
The committee's creation is aimed at accelerating the renaming of properties. Currently, there are hundreds of name changes pending before the Board on Geographic Names, and the process can take years, the Department said.
A Native American rights group applauded Haaland's action.
"It is well past time for us, as a nation, to move forward, beyond these derogatory terms, and show Native people - and all people - equal respect," John Echohawk, executive director of the Native American Rights Fund, said in a statement.
I had a buddy drown in Putah Creek out in California.

I say let's forget about all of them all together. I mean they were savage people who murdered each other continuously. They enslaved each other continuously. They owned negro slaves and fought for the confederacy. We won't even talk about what the savages did in Mexico and South America regions.

Plus

They didn't have a word for wheel.

So,I am with the left on this. Write them out of our history.

Except for that decent one that didn't start a war during that first Thanksgiving.

Don't know what the republicans were thinking doing them so many favors. I mean look at how appreciative they are to the republicans for that.

Uuuh...

No wonder it was so easy to settle here for the much more sophisticated European and Asians

What about Zion National Park. There is no reason to have a US park named after a hill in Israel
Zion is a specific, historically important location — the name refers to both a hill in the city of Jerusalem and to the city itself — but it's also used in a general way to mean "holy place" or "kingdom of heaven."

I know someone decades ago who is from the Cree nation who taught native study at a college. She said the word means "Vagina". And she is one of the natives that wasn't stripped from her native language. And the elders from her tribe love to talk to her because none of the others from her tribe that are her age or younger don't know how to speak their native language. It is because the natives were forced to speak English only. And she was around 12 years old when they have forced her into a boarding school. But she already knew her native language and plus her father was deaf and she had to learn how to use sign language to teach him But he don't know how to speak English at all.. But her younger brother was 5 years old at the time when they have sent him off to boarding school and he don't know how to speak their native language.
But none of these natives don't know what they are talking about. that they are assuming that it is a bad word because the elders probably don't want to discuss about it with them.

Fair enough I guess. But when is America going to pressure nations like Guinea and Equatorial Guinea to change their name- which are offensive to Italians?

Or, even worse, why is the nation of Niger allowed to keep its name which can so easily be mispronounced into something truly offensive?

I think "the city of the angels" is demeaning and God only knows "Corpus Christie" must be offensive to agnostics so we should eliminate every Spanish name and name cities after rocks and animals and trees and then we will live happily ever after.

The name of "San Francisco" should be changed, as "San" means saint in spanish. Change it to "Mister Frank".

I was watching Sally Jesse Raphael a number of years ago on her old TV program, and the American Atheists were trying to change the name of St. Louis to "Mr. Louis" and the people were outraged. One of the atheists actually was already using "Mr. Louis, MO" as his address but the Drivers License bureau refused to put it on his license.

Forum List

Back