U.S. Senate goes 'nuclear,' changes filibuster rules

Google

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2011
Member way back in 2013 when frustrated by the efforts of the minority Republicans Harry Reid changed the rules of the senate to allow a simple majority vote on presidential nominees? I wonder if they are regretting taking away the power of the minority party now that they are the minority?

WASHINGTON — Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., pushed through a controversial change to Senate rules Thursday that will make it easier to approve President Obama's nominees but threatens to further divide an already polarized Congress.

Fifty-two Senate Democrats and independents voted to weaken the power of the filibuster. The change reduces the threshold from 60 votes to 51 votes for Senate approval of executive and judicial nominees against unanimous GOP opposition. Three Democrats — Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Carl Levin of Michigan — opposed the change.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/11/21/harry-reid-nuclear-senate/3662445/

Fully expect the GOP to do the same.

The filibuster rule is anti-democracy and anti-constitution.

Moron the rules were changed by democrats. Republicans opposed the change, and never changed the filibuster rules while the majority. Democrats paved the way for Trump to pick his entire cabinet without Democrat resistance. HAHAHAHA

Republicans don't even have a majority large enough to change the rules unilaterally, and why the hell would they?

Watch out for lame ducks. They are capable of anything when they don't have to worry about their constituents. Harry Reid decided to call it quits so he might think he is no longer responsible to the will of the people who elected him.

Moron the rules were changed by democrats. Republicans opposed the change, and never changed the filibuster rules while the majority. Democrats paved the way for Trump to pick his entire cabinet without Democrat resistance. HAHAHAHA
I expect the Republican to do it.

It was wrong then, it is wrong now, it is anti-democracy and anti-constitution.

Get rid of the filibuster rule.

Google, you are thinking with your emotions instead of what is being written. That is why, like just now, it is so easy to make you look like a fool.

You don't know what you are talking about, Jake. The Constitution allows the Senate to create it's own rules
That does not make it pro-constitution. It is one of those gray areas, and I think it is wrong for either party to filibuster without some sort of automatic cloture.

If you hate the Constitution, kaz, well, that's you.

This is why its so funny Hillary lost. The Democrats were 100% convinced Hillary would win and Dem's would retake the senate and they would use the nuclear option. It never occurred to them the GOP would own the House, Senate, and White House, trust me Democrats are shitting their pants.

You don't know what you are talking about, Jake. The Constitution allows the Senate to create it's own rules
That does not make it pro-constitution. It is one of those gray areas, and I think it is wrong for either party to filibuster without some sort of automatic cloture.

If you hate the Constitution, kaz, well, that's you.

You realize I can't hear the voices in your head, you have to tell me what they are saying

Could you imagine Trey Gowdy getting nominated to Attorney General. He has ongoing investigations into Obama's many scandals. Rand Paul Commissioner of the IRS. A complete purge of the IRS staff. And the precedent set by Obama's picking and choosing what laws to enforce, prosecutorial discretion, simply not enforce sections of the tax code. Or completely anull Obamacare altogether.

Google and kaz are running into each other, fumbling and bumbling and stumbling and mumbling and finally crumbling in defeat.

I fully support the GOP doing this as I did the Dems. The cloture rule is an abomination.

Forum List

Back