U.S. colleges scramble after new Trump order on foreign students

Just another
There is no reason for those students to be in this country if all classes are on line. Certainly no reason for any school to be scrambling. There's no difference between a student across the street or across the world.

What dream world do you live in? I tell you what. Let me make you work the overnight shift from 11-7 for a few months and see how you like it and how your body adapts to it. Because that's what a lot of those foreign students would have to deal with. You see, they come here to go to school..you know, in the daytime. Even though they may be from other time zones, if they are forced out of the country, now you're looking at anywhere from 5 hours difference to up to 12 or 13. What it means in a nutshell is that a lot of these students will have to go to school overnight. Schools are scrambling because they hold their classes..you know...during the daylight hours. Having to tailor learning programs for other time zones takes time and effort...especially since the school year begins in barely two months.

Throw this edict on the pile of bans on people of color immigrating. Another attempt to Make America White Again.
Sickening and loathsome.

You see, they come here to go to school..you know, in the daytime. Even though they may be from other time zones, if they are forced out of the country, now you're looking at anywhere from 5 hours difference to up to 12 or 13.

You're right. There is no possible way to record lectures and play them back at a later time.
No way to email teachers with questions and get a response later.

DURR

There are too many foreign students in the USA. Trump should crack down on student visas from hostile countries like China.

And the foreign students who are here should not be able to take STEM classes. STEM classes should be reserved for American students.
hm. it's a business model, raking in tuitions from foreign students.

The higher education puppy mills will lose a huge sum of money if education goes online

in fact the schools could get by with half the staff they have now

imagine a Feminist and Black Studies professor getting canned and having to find a real job

I encourage trump change his approach and support internet teaching
Online courses can be problematic. There is something to be said for live interaction among students and students and faculty. Most schools are attempting blended models. Lot of discussion going on, and regardless, the face of education is going to change.

This virus led the way.

Over half of my property taxes go to support our local public schools. I (nor any of my tenants) ever had kids in the school system, yet we have to pay for it.

Yes, the cost of these schools are high, in the thousands a year for me. But what do those costs include besides teachers? The buildings. The buildings that use heat, air conditioning, maintenance. Then there are busses. You have to pay the drivers, the gasoline, insurance, and so on.

Think how much money taxpayers could save through education online. Close down and sell the schools. No more busses because there is no place to send the kids to. Given the fact that the average educational cost per capita is about 12-15K a year, it would be more cost effective to provide those poorer kids with internet access and a computer.

Just another
There is no reason for those students to be in this country if all classes are on line. Certainly no reason for any school to be scrambling. There's no difference between a student across the street or across the world.

What dream world do you live in? I tell you what. Let me make you work the overnight shift from 11-7 for a few months and see how you like it and how your body adapts to it. Because that's what a lot of those foreign students would have to deal with. You see, they come here to go to school..you know, in the daytime. Even though they may be from other time zones, if they are forced out of the country, now you're looking at anywhere from 5 hours difference to up to 12 or 13. What it means in a nutshell is that a lot of these students will have to go to school overnight. Schools are scrambling because they hold their classes..you know...during the daylight hours. Having to tailor learning programs for other time zones takes time and effort...especially since the school year begins in barely two months.

Throw this edict on the pile of bans on people of color immigrating. Another attempt to Make America White Again.
Sickening and loathsome.

You see, they come here to go to school..you know, in the daytime. Even though they may be from other time zones, if they are forced out of the country, now you're looking at anywhere from 5 hours difference to up to 12 or 13.

You're right. There is no possible way to record lectures and play them back at a later time.

DURR

And another kneejerk response without any thought. Just make sure we keep those dark people out. Yep. Did you go to college? Remember sitting in class and the live back and forth and Q and A you'd have with the instructor? Now, imagine having that gone because you're dealing with a recorded session. And then, you have to email questions or comments and wait until the next day for a response (if the instructor is able to find the time to give you one), and hope the instructor has had the time to record the learning session in enough time to fit it into the nearest time zone that it will be available in. Hint there snowflake, it doesn't just happen on a whim. :) duh...

Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

Correct. My son is enrolled in online classes.. The lesson is posted at 6pm our time. He logs in any old time. Like the lectures. Once they are up it's up to you when you see them. It's never been a problem.

Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

Yes, people work different shifts. Great example. If people can work different shifts, they can learn on a different shift. I worked different shifts before. I didn't care for it, but that's how I supported myself. You do what you have to do to get what you want.

Then there are busses. You have to pay the drivers, the gasoline, insurance, and so on.
The busses at my local high school run at about 5% capacity

and the football stadium used to leave the lights on all night till I tracked down football superintendent and harassed him into turning them off when not in use

it took one face to face meeting and several followup calls to his private cell phone number each time I rolled by at 4 ot 5 am and the lights were on

Last edited:
Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

DURR

And another kneejerk response without any thought. Just make sure we keep those dark people out. Yep. Did you go to college? Remember sitting in class and the live back and forth and Q and A you'd have with the instructor? Now, imagine having that gone because you're dealing with a recorded session. And then, you have to email questions or comments and wait until the next day for a response (if the instructor is able to find the time to give you one), and hope the instructor has had the time to record the learning session in enough time to fit it into the nearest time zone that it will be available in. Hint there snowflake, it doesn't just happen on a whim. :) duh...
Wrong analysis. The universities have already gone to online classes. No one told them to. It was wholly their decision. Now that they have made that decision and every student is an online student there is no benefit for the physical presence of the foreign student.

This doesn't just apply to Trump but what I would like happen is for people to decide to ignore EO's.

Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

DURR

Just make sure we keep those dark people out.

Nope. Just the foreign ones.

Did you go to college?

Yup.

Remember sitting in class and the live back and forth and Q and A you'd have with the instructor?

Sometimes.

Now, imagine having that gone because you're dealing with a recorded session.

I know, fucking Commie virus!!

And then, you have to email questions or comments and wait until the next day for a response

Yup, fucking China!!!!

Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

DURR

Wait a minute, you are crying because kids might have to go to online classes at a different time in their country, and you're calling somebody else a snowflake?

Yep. Did you go to college? Remember sitting in class and the live back and forth and Q and A you'd have with the instructor?
I remember sitting in an evening US History 1945 to the Present class with a bunch of bored business majors who just wanted the credit and nothing else

the professor was a revisionist history flake who loved the Soviet Union and hated America

that kind of liberal/marxist brainwashing is not possible with online learning

Well, it seems entire online classes for immigrants would have got them kicked out anyways because there was a limit on them. Obviously, if all were online, they woukd exceed the limit.
Im trying to find the EO and I cant. Do you have a link?

Oops, sorry about that, I thought I put the link in there: https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...ble-after-new-trump-order-on-foreign-students

Yes, there is a limit and the rules are clear on that, but exceptions, like many being made in other areas, can be made for the epidemic. What harm does that do?
No you did, I meant the EO itself.
Well, i am against most immigration right now, so you wouldnt like my answer.

Maybe I am wrong assuming it is an EO, it actually said “order”.
EO stands for executive order, dummy.

Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

Correct. My son is enrolled in online classes.. The lesson is posted at 6pm our time. He logs in any old time. Like the lectures. Once they are up it's up to you when you see them. It's never been a problem.

And I've taken these types of on-demand online classes. As long as you accept the terms of that up front. No problem. But we're not talking about students taking voluntary online classes in this country (I'm assuming your son is in this country). We're talking about students who come here from other countries (other time zones) to learn from real live instructors...in the same time zone. I don't see the harm in letting them stay here if they are able to secure local lodging so they can learn in the daylight hours. This requirement just seems to be more of the same from the anti-immigrant present administration.

Just another

Sickening and loathsome.

DURR

Wait a minute, you are crying because kids might have to go to online classes at a different time in their country, and you're calling somebody else a snowflake?

He's a delicate flower.......

Scrambling legal teams I guess. EO's of this nature are not legitimately enforceable, because what is proposed is not within the prerogative of the executive branch.

The higher education puppy mills will lose a huge sum of money if education goes online

in fact the schools could get by with half the staff they have now

imagine a Feminist and Black Studies professor getting canned and having to find a real job

I encourage trump change his approach and support internet teaching
Online courses can be problematic. There is something to be said for live interaction among students and students and faculty. Most schools are attempting blended models. Lot of discussion going on, and regardless, the face of education is going to change.

This virus led the way.

Over half of my property taxes go to support our local public schools. I (nor any of my tenants) ever had kids in the school system, yet we have to pay for it.

Yes, the cost of these schools are high, in the thousands a year for me. But what do those costs include besides teachers? The buildings. The buildings that use heat, air conditioning, maintenance. Then there are busses. You have to pay the drivers, the gasoline, insurance, and so on.

Think how much money taxpayers could save through education online. Close down and sell the schools. No more busses because there is no place to send the kids to. Given the fact that the average educational cost per capita is about 12-15K a year, it would be more cost effective to provide those poorer kids with internet access and a computer.

You are talking K-12? Everyone would be home schooling?

Forum List

Back