Two Professors Found What Creates a Mass Shooter. Will Politicians Pay Attention?

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I am very time constrained right now and will be for the next 14 months or so, otherwise I'd be consuming and analyzing this data like crazy. I love real data but it needs to be put into a form that people can understand an see how everything fits together, sort of like the COVID rates in the U.S. dashboard/graph that John Hopkins produced at the beginning of the pandemic.

I hope these researchers reach the people they need to, they've already done the work, now someone just needs to act and to remember that mitigation is the goal even if we can't achieve immediately, a 100% reduction.

Each time a high-profile mass shooting happens in America, a grieving and incredulous nation scrambles for answers. Who was this criminal and how could he (usually) have committed such a horrendous and inhumane act? A few details emerge about the individual’s troubled life and then everyone moves on.
Three years ago, Jillian Peterson, an associate professor of criminology at Hamline University, and James Densley, a professor of criminal justice at Metro State University, decided to take a different approach. In their view, the failure to gain a more meaningful and evidence-based understanding of why mass shooters do what they do seemed a lost opportunity to stop the next one from happening. Funded by the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the Department of Justice, their research constructed a database of every mass shooter since 1966 who shot and killed four or more people in a public place, and every shooting incident at schools, workplaces and places of worship since 1999.
Peterson and Densley also compiled detailed life histories on 180 shooters, speaking to their spouses, parents, siblings, childhood friends, work colleagues and teachers. As for the gunmen themselves, most don’t survive their carnage, but five who did talked to Peterson and Densely from prison, where they were serving life sentences. The researchers also found several people who planned a mass shooting but changed their mind.
Their findings, also published in the 2021 book, The Violence Project: How to Stop a Mass Shooting Epidemic, reveal striking commonalities among the perpetrators of mass shootings and suggest a data-backed, mental health-based approach could identify and address the next mass shooter before he pulls the trigger — if only politicians are willing to actually engage in finding and funding targeted solutions. POLITICO talked to Peterson and Densely from their offices in St. Paul, Minn., about how our national understanding about mass shooters has to evolve, why using terms like “monster” is counterproductive, and why political talking points about mental health need to be followed up with concrete action.

I am very time constrained right now and will be for the next 14 months or so, otherwise I'd be consuming and analyzing this data like crazy. I love real data but it needs to be put into a form that people can understand an see how everything fits together, sort of like the COVID rates in the U.S. dashboard/graph that John Hopkins produced at the beginning of the pandemic.

I hope these researchers reach the people they need to, they've already done the work, now someone just needs to act and to remember that mitigation is the goal even if we can't achieve immediately, a 100% reduction.

Each time a high-profile mass shooting happens in America, a grieving and incredulous nation scrambles for answers. Who was this criminal and how could he (usually) have committed such a horrendous and inhumane act? A few details emerge about the individual’s troubled life and then everyone moves on.
Three years ago, Jillian Peterson, an associate professor of criminology at Hamline University, and James Densley, a professor of criminal justice at Metro State University, decided to take a different approach. In their view, the failure to gain a more meaningful and evidence-based understanding of why mass shooters do what they do seemed a lost opportunity to stop the next one from happening. Funded by the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the Department of Justice, their research constructed a database of every mass shooter since 1966 who shot and killed four or more people in a public place, and every shooting incident at schools, workplaces and places of worship since 1999.
Peterson and Densley also compiled detailed life histories on 180 shooters, speaking to their spouses, parents, siblings, childhood friends, work colleagues and teachers. As for the gunmen themselves, most don’t survive their carnage, but five who did talked to Peterson and Densely from prison, where they were serving life sentences. The researchers also found several people who planned a mass shooting but changed their mind.
Their findings, also published in the 2021 book, The Violence Project: How to Stop a Mass Shooting Epidemic, reveal striking commonalities among the perpetrators of mass shootings and suggest a data-backed, mental health-based approach could identify and address the next mass shooter before he pulls the trigger — if only politicians are willing to actually engage in finding and funding targeted solutions. POLITICO talked to Peterson and Densely from their offices in St. Paul, Minn., about how our national understanding about mass shooters has to evolve, why using terms like “monster” is counterproductive, and why political talking points about mental health need to be followed up with concrete action.
I expected you to say, "white supremacy"

Peterson: I don’t think most people realize that these are suicides, in addition to homicides. Mass shooters design these to be their final acts. When you realize this, it completely flips the idea that someone with a gun on the scene is going to deter this. If anything, that’s an incentive for these individuals. They are going in to be killed.

Only if the responders refuse to act and move in to take the crazy bastard down!

"Our fool-proof algorithm has determined that you are a potential mass shooter. When the SWAT unit arrives at your home to take you away, please cooperate, resistance is futile".
THAT is precisely where our "Red Flag" laws will take us. There have already been instances where citizens were reported, cops showed up in the very early AM pounding on doors, resident opens the door with a weapon in hand in case it's a home invasion, and BOOM! ... problem solved.

Gee, what a surprise. It’s not guns, it’s mentally ill people looking for validation, publicity and a flashy way to commit suicide. Take away the publicity, force the unbalanced people into asylums and use the courts to disarm them when they start talking about violence.

Peterson: I don’t think most people realize that these are suicides, in addition to homicides. Mass shooters design these to be their final acts. When you realize this, it completely flips the idea that someone with a gun on the scene is going to deter this. If anything, that’s an incentive for these individuals. They are going in to be killed.

Only if the responders refuse to act and move in to take the crazy bastard down!
I’ve never heard anyone say a good guy with a gun is a deterrent. The good guy is a defense. You can’t deter someone who intends to die, and most, if not all, of these creeps plan on going out in a blaze of publicity.

THAT is precisely where our "Red Flag" laws will take us. There have already been instances where citizens were reported, cops showed up in the very early AM pounding on doors, resident opens the door with a weapon in hand in case it's a home invasion, and BOOM! ... problem solved.
I don’t see a problem with a red flag law IF LEOs and the gun owner go to court and present evidence before seizing any weapons. It could be done on a expedited basis like a hearing for a search warrant.

Part of me thinks this is good news, part of me thinks this is garbage, because folks that have an agenda, can use this technology for an agenda, against their political enemies.

They have been using this technology to manipulate results in the AGW debate, they used it to manipulate predictions in the COVID "disaster," which has only ended up doing far more damage to kids psychology, educations, and the economy, than they have ever proven would have done to national or community health.

IMO? I just don't trust such power, nor the folks agenda behind the use of it.

Everyone thinks the solutions to our problems are simple. They never are.

POLITICO: Can you take us through the profile of mass shooters that emerged from your research?

Peterson: There’s this really consistent pathway. Early childhood trauma seems to be the foundation, whether violence in the home, sexual assault, parental suicides, extreme bullying. Then you see the build toward hopelessness, despair, isolation, self-loathing, oftentimes rejection from peers. That turns into a really identifiable crisis point where they’re acting differently. Sometimes they have previous suicide attempts.

What’s different from traditional suicide is that the self-hate turns against a group. They start asking themselves, “Whose fault is this?” Is it a racial group or women or a religious group, or is it my classmates? The hate turns outward. There’s also this quest for fame and notoriety.

So profile about half the kids in our screwed up society that seems designed to pump out insecure narcissistic psychos indoctrinated in racist theories looking for 15 minutes of fame?
Good luck tracking all the numbers that would fall in these categories.
Or is the goal just to strip away rights without due process in the name of pre-crime?
I hope our tax dollars didn't pay for this "deep thinking" non-starter

That's just goofy. Plain ol' goofy.

Forum List

Back