Two Films About Religion

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The controversial but searing religion-themed films, Agnes of God (Norman Jewison) and The Ninth Gate (Roman Polanski) present very contrasting notions about the 'experience' of metaphysics/spirituality.

The Jewison film presents the moving if unusual story of an emotionally-sensitive Christian nun named Agnes (Meg Tilly) who is being interviewed by a world-savvy skeptic psychiatrist named Martha (Jane Fonda) after Agnes is accused of carrying out an abortion. Agnes confides in Martha that she believes she was impregnated by God during a surprising 'conjugal' divination 'visit' and does not want the burden of raising the God-borne child on Earth.

The Polanski film presents the cerebral if incendiary story of an unscrupulous rare-books dealer named Dean (Johnny Depp) who is employed by an esoteric wealthy man and scholar named Boris (Frank Langella) to hunt down the whereabouts of a missing rare Satanic book in a triad-collection rumored to possess the power to invoke the presence of the Devil himself. Dean sets out on his strange but well-paying quest and begins to discover that the book he is searching for just might wield the sort of odd metaphysical power his eccentric employer claims it possesses!

Both the Jewison and the Polanski film introduce us to the intriguing experience of 'discovering' religious (or metaphysical) experience through the skepticism obstacles/hurdles of impracticality, improbability, and of course, impatience.

The Jewison film of course suggests that 'encountering' God might bring us to the discovery that a 'heavenly Creator' might turn out to be overwhelmingly authoritative and emotionally exhausting, while the Polanski film suggests that 'engaging' with the Devil might bring a human being to strange and even dangerous contemplations regarding the moral temptation to defy the limits of known mortality.

Agnes of God is very sensitive, spiritual, and sensual, while The Ninth Gate is very eccentric, erotic, and even ethereal.

Both films are very engaging in terms of artistic weight, symbolic credence, and intellectual fancy, and certainly mainstream Christian communities might frown upon the incendiary notions presented in the Polanski film.

That's why I would award both 'religion-themed' films a solid 4/5 stars, if I afforded, say a much more celebrated religion-themed film such as William Wyler's Ben-Hur 5/5 stars.

It is interesting to note that Jewison's Christianity-oriented film invites general criticism for the orthodox dogmas of Christianity, while Polanski's Occultism-oriented film subtly suggests that Satanism as a religion has been predominantly 'disregarded' by cursory scholars and societies.

I'd be greatly interested in further scholastic dissections comparing/contrasting these two symbolic films in cinema history.

Both Jewison and Polanski are established and well-respected film-makers of the modern era, having even presented generally well-received films such as Fiddler on the Roof (an important Jewison film for the Jewish community) and Frantic (an important Polanski film for the suspense-welcoming general movie-going audiences) prior to making Agnes of God and The Ninth Gate.

{comparative interpretation dialogue}

====

AGNES: I don't want an 'undue blessing' from God.
MARTHA: Agnes, maybe 'God' simply wants you to feel 'friendly.'
AGNES: I fear my hesitancy to embrace God makes me seem 'timid.'
MARTHA: I think we can 'decode' God's plan for you, Agnes...

DEAN: So you're willing to pay me to retrieve a Satanic text?
BORIS: I think you understand the lengths which I'm willing to go to in order to procure the magic...
DEAN: I suppose you're offended by my skepticism.
BORIS: All I need is a 'mercenary,' not a critic!

====

:dance:

agnes.jpg

tng2.jpg

The Ninth Gate

I want to pay special attention to Polanski's The Ninth Gate for a moment. This incendiary film about Satanism (and pseudo-Luciferianism) is reminiscent of John Milton's approach to the controversies of the great 'war in heaven' which spawned Satan's mischievousness towards humanity.

In the Polanski film, the precocious and unscrupulous Corso (Depp) goes on an intricate quest for that mythical book rumored to be co-written by Lucifer/Satan himself. As Corso's quest unfolds, he meets an alluring and mysterious woman who turns out to be the prophetic Harlot of Babylon.

This 'girl' is portrayed very nicely by the under-appreciated Emmanuelle Seigner (Frantic) who gives the demonic character great sensual proportions. Polanski presents this 'mysterious woman' as some kind of 'doomsday guide' leading us towards eternal bliss or eternal temptation.

My point here is that Polanski seems to suggest that questing after this Satanic book can only bring us to the frustrating conclusion that the only way to defeat the tempting Devil is to simply avoid him (or join him!).

Perhaps that's the real controversy...

{interpretation-dialogue}
====

CORSO: Why do you keep following me? Who's your employer?
WOMAN: You're looking for that book...I'm here to help you.
CORSO: I suppose you're my 'guardian angel.'
WOMAN: If that's what you'd like to believe, then, yes!
CORSO: Can I hide behind you if the Devil pops out of that book?
WOMAN: Very funny, but your quest is deeper than you realize...
CORSO: Do I seem lonely to you?
WOMAN: You have an unquenchable curiosity in your eyes, and Satan can help you...
CORSO: Eternal bliss through some kind of wild sex with you...as opposed to my boring bureaucratic life, eh?
WOMAN: Something like that...
CORSO: I suppose every sentient being seeks to serve and rule in some capacity, so I have to find my 'free will.'
WOMAN: Let me come with you.

====

depp.jpg

poster.jpg

EVOLUTION

It's interesting to note how dramatic horror/fear presentations in cinema have evolved --- from the days of North by Northwest to nouveau-gore films such as Badlands of Kain and Saw.

Fear-films are certainly 'connected' to religious films such as Agnes of God, since both genres celebrate a social fascination with the 'parametrics of mortality.'

Badlands of Kain, for example, not unlike the 'equally modern' The Hills Have Eyes, presents the life-shattering experience story of feeling stranded in a desert-like area of America and encountering pure evil (and violence of course).

Measuring changes in cinema can help us better evaluate symbolic contours/comparisons between controversial/incendiary/iconic films such as Agnes of God and The Ninth Gate.

{interpretation dialogue}
====

SHANNON: We shouldn't be stranded...
MACK: What do you mean 'shouldn't,' Shannon?
SHANNON: I mean, it feels like we're out of place.
MACK: That's what being lost feels like...
SHANNON: Our car broke down; and now we'll like have to kill vampires!
MACK: Very funny, but perhaps...eerily true.
SHANNON: Don't be a jerk; I love America.
MACK: And America loves you...

====

posters.jpg

The Ninth Gate

I want to pay special attention to Polanski's The Ninth Gate for a moment. This incendiary film about Satanism (and pseudo-Luciferianism) is reminiscent of John Milton's approach to the controversies of the great 'war in heaven' which spawned Satan's mischievousness towards humanity.

In the Polanski film, the precocious and unscrupulous Corso (Depp) goes on an intricate quest for that mythical book rumored to be co-written by Lucifer/Satan himself. As Corso's quest unfolds, he meets an alluring and mysterious woman who turns out to be the prophetic Harlot of Babylon.

This 'girl' is portrayed very nicely by the under-appreciated Emmanuelle Seigner (Frantic) who gives the demonic character great sensual proportions. Polanski presents this 'mysterious woman' as some kind of 'doomsday guide' leading us towards eternal bliss or eternal temptation.

My point here is that Polanski seems to suggest that questing after this Satanic book can only bring us to the frustrating conclusion that the only way to defeat the tempting Devil is to simply avoid him (or join him!).

Perhaps that's the real controversy...

{interpretation-dialogue}
====

CORSO: Why do you keep following me? Who's your employer?
WOMAN: You're looking for that book...I'm here to help you.
CORSO: I suppose you're my 'guardian angel.'
WOMAN: If that's what you'd like to believe, then, yes!
CORSO: Can I hide behind you if the Devil pops out of that book?
WOMAN: Very funny, but your quest is deeper than you realize...
CORSO: Do I seem lonely to you?
WOMAN: You have an unquenchable curiosity in your eyes, and Satan can help you...
CORSO: Eternal bliss through some kind of wild sex with you...as opposed to my boring bureaucratic life, eh?
WOMAN: Something like that...
CORSO: I suppose every sentient being seeks to serve and rule in some capacity, so I have to find my 'free will.'
WOMAN: Let me come with you.

====

View attachment 148342

View attachment 148343
Ummm, you could have just said that movie was great or that movie sucked. This isn't Siskel & Ebert son

Forum List

Back