‘Twitter Files’ Journalist Quits Twitter After Elon Musk Places Restrictions On Substack

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
Matt Taibbi, a journalist who worked on the “Twitter Files” series of articles about old business decisions at Twitter, has said he’ll no longer use the social media platform. Taibbi is apparently frustrated by Twitter’s recent decision to heavily restrict all links and tweets about Substack following that company’s announcement it would be launching Substack Notes, a short form social network and potential competitor to Twitter.

Any Twitter user who even tries to retweet a post from Substack is met with a notification, “some actions on this Tweet have been disabled by Twitter,” a move that has angered many users, including Taibbi.

“Earlier this afternoon, I learned Substack links were being blocked on Twitter. Since being able to share my articles is a primary reason I use Twitter, I was alarmed and asked what was going on,” Taibbi wrote at his Substack on Friday afternoon.

“It turns out Twitter is upset about the new Substack Notes feature, which they see as a hostile rival. When I asked how I was supposed to market my work, I was given the option of posting my articles on Twitter instead of Substack,” Taibbi continued.

Taibbi decided it simply wasn’t worth it to stick around at Twitter if he can’t post links to his work at Substack and announced “early next week I’ll be using the new Substack Notes feature” instead of Twitter.

Substack told me over email that it was disappointed in Musk’s decision to restrict Substack.

“We’re disappointed that Twitter has chosen to restrict writers’ ability to share their work. Writers deserve the freedom to share links to Substack or anywhere else,” a joint statement from Substack co-founders Chris Best, Hamish McKenzie, and Jairaj Sethi reads.

Musk was always a prop player.....Gubmint owns his ass.
Please. When he bought Twitter, you alt-righters cheered him as the champion of "free speech". He was gonna right the wrong. He was gonna expose the left wing bias.
Except...in the end, he was always about the money. And he played you like fiddles.

Don't run from it now...DERP!!

Please. When he bought Twitter, you alt-righters cheered him as the champion of "free speech". He was gonna right the wrong. He was gonna expose the left wing bias.
Except...in the end, he was always about the money. And he played you like fiddles.

The fuck I did....I was cautiously optimistic, as I'm suspicious of damn near everything....Turns out my suspicions were closer to the mark than not.

So go play on the freeway, jackass.

If Musk manages to kill Twitter it will be the best thing he's ever done for this country

Taibbi canceled Musk and Musk canceled Substack. It’s like a game of cancel culture ping-pong!

Right wingers didn't care about Elon Musk curtailing Free speech when he suspended those journalists. They only care when it's one of their heroes like Taibbi week gets screwed.

What's wrong with limiting mentions of a potential competitor. It's neither illegal nor unethical.

Forum List

Back