Truth vs Bias

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
When we debate and research, we can either do it with the intent to support the positions that we believe in, or we can do it with the intent to find out what the truth really is. Researching and debating to support your position can be a noble cause, but pursuing subjective agenda is no match for researching and debating in search of the actual truth.

This all sounds simple enough, but the problem is that so many people cannot differentiate these two strategies. They can tell us what confirmation bias is, and they can "kinda" tell us what the difference between subjective and objective is, but they cannot properly differentiate searching for what they believe in from searching for the truth. We will likely see this inability on display in the posts that follow.

When we debate and research, we can either do it with the intent to support the positions that we believe in, or we can do it with the intent to find out what the truth really is. Researching and debating to support your position can be a noble cause, but pursuing subjective agenda is no match for researching and debating in search of the actual truth.

This all sounds simple enough, but the problem is that so many people cannot differentiate these two strategies. They can tell us what confirmation bias is, and they can "kinda" tell us what the difference between subjective and objective is, but they cannot properly differentiate searching for what they believe in from searching for the truth. We will likely see this inability on display in the posts that follow.
What is your personal definition of "The Truth"?

1642522249755.png

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

What is your personal definition of "The Truth"?
I've considered starting a thread about that very topic, since this is what people have such a hard time separating from their feelings or bias. While it may be worthy of its own thread, it would seem reasonable to have a little clarification on this thread though. Personally, I see conformity to fact or actuality as what the truth is. True facts can be assembled into untrue narratives, so truth must also be seen in a truthful context.

Last edited:
True facts can be assembled into untrue narratives, so truth must also be seen in a truthful context.

Therein lies what might be the real problem: truthful narratives seem to be in short supply on both sides of any issue. And it isn't just the people searching for the truth but also the people who supply their version of what the truth is. What we (I) am left with is the need to read points of view from both sides are try to arrive at the truth. A difficult task sometimes, especially when sometimes one side or the other leaves out certain facts. And of course we (I) have to deal with our own biases and values.

The sad thing is, IMHO trust is about gone. As far as I can tell, nearly everything is politicized and therefore unreliable. So, I guess we just have to do the best we can.

The sad thing is, IMHO trust is about gone. As far as I can tell, nearly everything is politicized and therefore unreliable. So, I guess we just have to do the best we can.
This is a very good point. Media sources should not be trusted, NONE of them. I've maintained for years on this very site, that we should read or watch them all, but trust none. Our political positions are based upon what we read and watch, which is why it is so important to consume media from all biases, while considering them all hostile. We cannot rely on having media from one bias telling us what media from other biases are about, we must vet it all ourselves if we are searching for the actual truth.

From what I have observed, the basic ability to objectively search for the truth vs subjectively researching to support one's position is one of the biggest differences between lefties and righties. Lefties rely upon censorship and deception to ensure compliance with subjective narratives, which is obviously in conflict with those who are in search of the actual truth.

Blindspot bias states that we’re more likely to recognize bias in OTHERS than in YOURSELF.

One study asked 661 people if they felt they were more biased than average, and only ONE PERSON said yes.

So everything is filtered through YOUR perspective: YOUR attitudes, YOUR opinions. That's called: 'Myside Bias.

CONFIRMATION BIAS still influences the show That’s when you search for information that conforms to your EXISTING beliefs.

The LESS someone knows, the MORE LIKELY they are to mistakenly OVERESTIMATE their knowledge and abilities.

Dunning-Kruger effect, in psychology, a cognitive bias whereby people with limited knowledge or competence in a given intellectual or social domain greatly overestimate their own knowledge or competence in that domain

Studies show it's way easier to identify someone who knows LESS than you than someone who knows more.”

“Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.” fr. Atlas Shurgged ...quotes of Anne Ryan

I dedicate the above to all those who think the ends justifies the means...who will always promote their agenda irregardless of the trurth.....aka Communists

Blindspot bias states that we’re more likely to recognize bias in OTHERS than in YOURSELF.

One study asked 661 people if they felt they were more biased than average, and only ONE PERSON said yes.

So everything is filtered through YOUR perspective: YOUR attitudes, YOUR opinions. That's called: 'Myside Bias.

CONFIRMATION BIAS still influences the show That’s when you search for information that conforms to your EXISTING beliefs.

The LESS someone knows, the MORE LIKELY they are to mistakenly OVERESTIMATE their knowledge and abilities.

Dunning-Kruger effect, in psychology, a cognitive bias whereby people with limited knowledge or competence in a given intellectual or social domain greatly overestimate their own knowledge or competence in that domain

Studies show it's way easier to identify someone who knows LESS than you than someone who knows more.”
Last sentence in the opening post addresses your post.

I suppose you will say that to anyone who disagrees with you.
It didn't look like you disagreed with me, you just posted the way I predicted in theast sentence of the opening post. I didn't expect a lefty to post an objective reply that demonstrates having read and understanding the opening post.

The difference is based in the fact that Critical Thinking is no longer instilled in the process, as results have become more popular and necessary.

Authoritarians cannot survive in an atmosphere that promotes or supports Critical Thinking, because it is to question everything ...
And Authoritarians require compliance, and are not interested in discovery, or the base assumption that what they want or believe, is or could be wrong.

It didn't look like you disagreed with me, you just posted the way I predicted in theast sentence of the opening post. I didn't expect a lefty to post an objective reply that demonstrates having read and understanding the opening post.
Yes you are speaking truth and the rest of us are dumb/brainwashed.

I was talking to my friend this weekend. Self proclaimed smartest guy I know. He said "the government admitted ufo's exist". Now is that true? Of course not.

Then he tells me he would have no problem being a great shit talker on WWE. He just knows that he would be great at it. So I ask him to give me a little sample of his greatness. But he can't. So funny.

He's an idiot and I'm sure so are you.

Forum List

Back