Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
'President Donald Trump, having championed one of the larger tax cuts in recent years, has now enacted tariffs equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades.

A CNBC analysis of data from the Treasury Department ranks the combined $72 billion in revenue from all the president’s tariffs as one of the biggest tax increases since 1993. In fact, the tariff revenue ranks as the largest increase as a percent of GDP since 1993 when compared with the first year of all the revenue measures enacted since then, according to the data.

Only the revenue raised in the fourth year of the Affordable Care Act is greater, but not by much.

The nonpartisan Tax Foundation estimates all the tariffs enacted by the president, including the latest increase from 10% to 25% on $200 billion on Chinese goods, will raise $72 billion in revenue, equal to 0.34% of U.S. gross domestic product. Revenue raised in the first year of the 1993 budget and reconciliation act equaled 0.36% of GDP.

liesmanusethis.1558011296390.jpg

“It’s certainly not the largest tax increase in history but it does rank among some of the bigger tax proposals over the last 20 years that have raised revenues,″ said Kyle Pomerleau, chief economist with the Tax Foundation.

The revenue raised from the tariffs is more than the tax increases from the first three years of the Obama administration’s ACA, according to the Treasury data. Only in year four of the ACA, when revenue rose by an estimated 0.46% of GDP, did it raise more than the estimate from Trump’s tariffs.'

Trump's tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

And yet Trump still insists - 100% incorrectly - that the Chinese will pay much of the tariffs.

What a moron he is.

Hilarious to see how quickly the clueless fall for the "hysteria machine" loosed by Wall Street/Investment Banks etc.
These morons don't understand that WE the middle class have been raked over the coals the past 40 years as job after job after job is outsourced to China...all in order for the elite investor class to make $billions off of Chinese slave labor.
BUT WAIT.... it's Trump doing it...SO...IT MUST BE VERY, VERY BAD!!!!!!!!!

Hilarious to see how quickly the clueless fall for the "hysteria machine" loosed by Wall Street/Investment Banks etc.
These morons don't understand that WE the middle class have been raked over the coals the past 40 years as job after job after job is outsourced to China...all in order for the elite investor class to make $billions off of Chinese slave labor.
If a homeless 3rd worlder took your job then you're pathetic and need to learn a better skill

The tariffs are very harmful to anybody who isn’t a multimillionaire. You will pay more for the same product. The idea that Democrats or Republicans are to blame for the destruction of the middle class is simple thought for simple minds. The real culprit is the Federal Reserve. Easy money only helps those who can borrow and invest.

Highest credit card interest rates since 1994.
Housing affordability worse in 10 years.
Auto loan delinquencies highest in 9 years.
If you love all that you're really gonna love tariffs.
In other news the Fed can't find any inflation.

Walmart said they have to raise their prices....trumps people shopping center. Lol...I hope they triple the prices.

• Banned

You have ZERO, unbiased, factual data (or even American, historical precedence) that these tariffs will bring back US manufacturing jobs except for token numbers for token periods of time. All you people have is the babbling's of senile Trump and those who have not a clue how macroeconomics works to guide/'yes man' him.

Answer me this. please:

the Chinese trade surplus to China represents less then 3.5% of their total GDP,
they have no elections to worry about, Xi has been made 'President For Life', their economy is growing at over 6% per year (more then double America's) and their central bank can dump almost limitless amounts of money onto their economy.

What is your unbiased source that explains/proves why they will cave into Trump's protectionism?

Trump’s tariffs are equivalent to one of the largest tax increases in decades

Then you ought to be happy as a pig in the mud.

View attachment 261155

Libtards never met a tax they didn't like!

Remember, just like your queen Nancy said in 2009, Trump has to RAISE the tariffs in order to SEE what they do! :auiqs.jpg:

Wrong again, pal.

I have never voted for a Dem in my life (or a Rep)...and I love small government, low regulations and low taxes.

Don't you ever get tired of me proving you wrong (like when you said that Albert Einstein invented the atomic bomb - which is utter nonsense...he was not even allowed into the Manhattan Project)?

And did I not tell you this on Tuesday? Man...you appear to be not as bright as you claim to be. Yeah, you have a 145 IQ like Einstein invented the atomic bomb.

Last edited:
So, according to the “wisdom” in this thread, if you’re opposed to higher taxes, you’re a liberal.

What a bizarre place Trump’s America has become.
Shucks!
Now you actually have to think when you invest!

Wrong again, pal.
I've been looking for a good, private ass licker. You applying? Pays minimum wage, what you're used to.

I have never voted for a Dem in my life (or a Rep)...
Soooo.................. you just never VOTED. Just another talkalot do-nothing American serving his country. Complains about everything but too lazy to even go to the poll to pull a lever. No surprises there.

george freaking jeb bush msnbc NRO establishment cuck will

since youre throwing up opinion pieces here one from 2 days ago

from wapo :04::auiqs.jpg:
Trump didn’t start this trade war. China did.
By Marc A. Thiessen
May 14 at 2:56 PM
Before President Trump announced that he was imposing 25 percent tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of Chinese goods, he got encouragement from an unlikely source: Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). The Senate Democratic leader, who has little good to say about Trump most days, tweeted, “Hang tough on China, @realDonaldTrump. Don’t back down. Strength is the only way to win with China.”

That should have been a wake-up call for Beijing. When Chuck Schumer is tweeting support for Donald Trump, it’s time to cut a deal.
rut roh george
But China didn’t cut a deal — and now it is paying a price. Those who suggest Trump started this trade war with China have it backward. Beijing has been waging economic warfare on the United States for years — stealing our intellectual property, forcing our companies to transfer technology as a price of doing business in China and subsidizing state-owned enterprises to prevent U.S. businesses from competing in dozens of sectors of the Chinese economy. The difference now is Chinese leaders are facing a president who is willing to fight back.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ina-did/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.92cc07fb4dee

Wrong again, pal.
I've been looking for a good, private ass licker. You applying? Pays minimum wage, what you're used to.

I have never voted for a Dem in my life (or a Rep)...
Soooo.................. you just never VOTED. Just another talkalot do-nothing American serving his country. Complains about everything but too lazy to even go to the poll to pull a lever. No surprises there.

LOL...how stupid are you to think that no one votes if they don't vote for Rep or Dem? Sheesh.

And these tariffs ARE like tax increases.

All tariffs ARE is a tax. A tax that Americans have to pay.

Yet dumb dumb Donald acts like the Chinese will pay.

And these tariffs ARE like tax increases. All tariffs ARE is a tax.

When Trump lowered taxes the Left screamed their heads off claiming he was going to starve the government of money! Raise the debt!

Raising taxes pays the government and helps pay down the debt.

So you are complaining Trump is paying down our debt.

Trump is doing a good thing for America and still you complain.

Will you make it to 2025 when Trump's finally out of office?

What if Pence replaces him? Will you jump off your house?

You say you want to serve your country, there might be a good place to start.

A man who complains if Trump lowers taxes and complains when Trump raises taxes isn't long for this world.

Forum List

Back