trump’s heir? Some supporters eye DeSantis as alternative

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
A recent poll from The Associated Press-Center for Public Affairs Research found that while 71% of Republicans have a favorable opinion of Trump, a smaller percentage — 56% — want him to run again in 2024. The poll found 44% of Republicans do not want Trump to run.

Longtime GOP pollster Frank Luntz, who has conducted focus groups of voter opinion, said Republicans have fractured into three distinct blocs: those who have moved on from Trump, those who “will follow him off a cliff,” and those who “really appreciate him, follow him, are still strongly favorable towards him,” but are looking for another option.

“He still has a core of somewhere between one-third and 40% that will vote for him no matter what,” Luntz said. “But it is now a minority. It was the majority up until six months ago. But it is now the minority.”

Do want someone other than trump to run?

Someone like DeSantis?

I'm not a Republican, but I did vote for Trump. I won't vote for him again.

I want someone in the office who exudes a proper confidence and purpose. I want someone who shows unwavering poise in the face of adversity. I want someone who will do exactly what he says and who'll not apologize for not pleasing all of the people all of the time.

Trump just doesn't check off those boxes for me. DeSantis does. As much as I would hate to lose DeSantis as a Governor, I would love to see him in the White House...

Trump doesn't like DeSantis. Trump could convince his followers to support Hawley or Noem instead of DeSantis.

---Trump-DeSantis tensions ratchet up---

BTW, 2024 polls show Trump with comfortable lead.

---Poll: Trump leads 2024 Republican field with DeSantis in distant second...Trump holds a clear edge, garnering 57 percent support among Republican voters. DeSantis and former Vice President Mike Pence are nearly deadlocked at 12 percent and 11 percent, respectively---

The election is still a little less than three years away so there is no use speculating about Trump's "heir". The elephant in the room (pardon the pun) and one of the most important issues in politics is Biden's heir but democrats and their minions in the media refuse to talk about it.

I want someone in the office who exudes a proper confidence and purpose. I want someone who shows unwavering poise in the face of adversity. I want someone who will do exactly what he says and who'll not apologize for not pleasing all of the people all of the time.

Trump just doesn't check off those boxes for me. DeSantis does. As much as I would hate to lose DeSantis as a Governor, I would love to see him in the White House...

DeSantis is my current pick, until he drops out or someone better comes along.

A recent poll from The Associated Press-Center for Public Affairs Research found that while 71% of Republicans have a favorable opinion of Trump, a smaller percentage — 56% — want him to run again in 2024. The poll found 44% of Republicans do not want Trump to run.

Longtime GOP pollster Frank Luntz, who has conducted focus groups of voter opinion, said Republicans have fractured into three distinct blocs: those who have moved on from Trump, those who “will follow him off a cliff,” and those who “really appreciate him, follow him, are still strongly favorable towards him,” but are looking for another option.

“He still has a core of somewhere between one-third and 40% that will vote for him no matter what,” Luntz said. “But it is now a minority. It was the majority up until six months ago. But it is now the minority.”

Someone like DeSantis?
Well, that would make sense.....DeSantis has copied the fat former guy in all things.....even in refusing to con-demn those NAZIs who were demonstrating the other day. "Good people on both sides".

• Funny
Reactions: DBA
I had been thinking that Trump would be too old to run in 2024, but his recent appearance at a rally in Texas put that concern to rest. He doesn't seem to have lost a step.

On the other hand, he would face many of the same problems in a second term that he faced in his first term. Without a ready-made staff to bring in with him, he would be limited to issuing Executive Orders to implement his decisions.

This is why former Governors (e.g., Reagan) generally have an easier transition period to the Presidency. I don't know that much about Governor DeSantis, but he seems to be implementing sane policies in Florida. Texas is another sane state, but its governor(s) may be too easily stereotyped by the opposition to win a national election.

Three years is an eternity in politics, so we will have to see how this all plays out.

Good people on both sides".
It's amazing that some of you people still believe this out-of-context quote. It is a testament to the mind-meld the MSM has over the dumbed down left.

Trump doesn't like DeSantis. Trump could convince his followers to support Hawley or Noem instead of DeSantis.

---Trump-DeSantis tensions ratchet up---

BTW, 2024 polls show Trump with comfortable lead.

---Poll: Trump leads 2024 Republican field with DeSantis in distant second...Trump holds a clear edge, garnering 57 percent support among Republican voters. DeSantis and former Vice President Mike Pence are nearly deadlocked at 12 percent and 11 percent, respectively---

It's closer. And more actually prefer Biden.

DeSantis can keep the Trump folks, but can he run to the center if nominated?

DeSantis may end up being the heir apparent to the former POTUS. His rhetoric and actions as Governor are making the case for him.

That said, too much time till 2024….

Someone like DeSantis?
We will support the candidate that backs America's values and enforces the law. You will continue to vote or fake vote for the America hater.

Well, that would make sense.....DeSantis has copied the fat former guy in all things.....even in refusing to con-demn those NAZIs who were demonstrating the other day. "Good people on both sides".
qfkb4lhzuif81.png

When have we ever had a candidate like that? Trump is the closest thing we've got.

Someone like DeSantis?
When there were 19 Republican candidates in 2016, Trump always polled around 30 percent.

November 2024 is a long way off. That's a political eternity.

Fat Donald could have a stroke.

The supply chain snarls will be ancient history by 2024, and inflation most likely will be, too.

It all comes down to "it's the economy, stupid." That's why Trump is being cagey about running. He is hoping America nosedives so he can step in as the savior and have his lies swallowed whole by the tard herd again.

Someone like DeSantis?
Snag is neither Trump nor DeSantis can beat Biden – by 2024 the pandemic will be over or ‘normalized,’ the economy fully recovered and inflation under control; Republicans controlling Congress won’t help either, given the voters’ penchant for gridlock and divided government.

When there were 19 Republican candidates in 2016, Trump always polled around 30 percent.

November 2024 is a long way off. That's a political eternity.

Fat Donald could have a stroke.

The supply chain snarls will be ancient history by 2024, and inflation most likely will be, too.

It all comes down to "it's the economy, stupid." That's why Trump is being cagey about running. He is hoping America nosedives so he can step in as the savior and have his lies swallowed whole by the tard herd again.
He doesn't have to wait, loser. America has already nosedived.

Forum List

Back