Trump Trade Pullout Roils Rural America. So MAGA is a Yuge Turd, For you?

Baz Ares

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2017
EAGLE GROVE, Iowa—On a cloud-swept landscape dotted with grain elevators, a meat producer called Prestage Farms is building a 700,000-square-foot processing plant. The gleaming new factory is both the great hope of Wright County, which voted by a 2-1 margin for Donald Trump, and the victim of one of Trump’s first policy moves, his decision to pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

For much of industrial America, the TPP was a suspect deal, the successor to the North American Free Trade Agreement, which some argue led to a massive offshoring of U.S. jobs to Mexico. But for the already struggling agricultural sector, the sprawling 12-nation TPP, covering 40 percent of the world’s economy, was a lifeline. It was a chance to erase punishing tariffs that restricted the United States—the onetime “breadbasket of the world”—from selling its meats, grains and dairy products to massive importers of foodstuffs such as Japan and Vietnam.

The decision to pull out of the trade deal has become a double hit on places like Eagle Grove. The promised bump of $10 billion in agricultural output over 15 years, based on estimates by the U.S. International Trade Commission, won’t materialize. But Trump’s decision to withdraw from the pact also cleared the way for rival exporters such as Australia, New Zealand and the European Union to negotiate even lower tariffs with importing nations, creating potentially greater competitive advantages over U.S. exports.
Trump’s Trade Pullout Roils Rural America

:oops::rolleyes: This seems to be another regretful moment, coming to you from, Eagle Grove Iowa.
Really some good moves by The Great Orange Douche. :);) TTP needs some adjustments,
we're not the only nation in the world.

Btw. Walmart has single blades on sale this week. I'm feeling your pains.

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

Well, I did not vote for the great Douche.

Economics is a subject that always STYMIED me-------it seemed to me that, historically,
the outcome of tariffs and embargoes ------had 'UNINTENDED CONSQUENCES" ------
kinda like the use of pesticides. I do appreciate any available simple explanations-----
I am apprehensive about TRUMP's sense of his ability to KNOW HOW TO CONTROL

EAGLE GROVE, Iowa—On a cloud-swept landscape dotted with grain elevators, a meat producer called Prestage Farms is building a 700,000-square-foot processing plant. The gleaming new factory is both the great hope of Wright County, which voted by a 2-1 margin for Donald Trump, and the victim of one of Trump’s first policy moves, his decision to pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

For much of industrial America, the TPP was a suspect deal, the successor to the North American Free Trade Agreement, which some argue led to a massive offshoring of U.S. jobs to Mexico. But for the already struggling agricultural sector, the sprawling 12-nation TPP, covering 40 percent of the world’s economy, was a lifeline. It was a chance to erase punishing tariffs that restricted the United States—the onetime “breadbasket of the world”—from selling its meats, grains and dairy products to massive importers of foodstuffs such as Japan and Vietnam.

The decision to pull out of the trade deal has become a double hit on places like Eagle Grove. The promised bump of $10 billion in agricultural output over 15 years, based on estimates by the U.S. International Trade Commission, won’t materialize. But Trump’s decision to withdraw from the pact also cleared the way for rival exporters such as Australia, New Zealand and the European Union to negotiate even lower tariffs with importing nations, creating potentially greater competitive advantages over U.S. exports.

:oops::rolleyes: This seems to be another regretful moment, coming to you from, Eagle Grove Iowa.
Really some good moves by The Great Orange Douche. :);) TTP needs some adjustments,

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

"Well, I did not vote for the great Douche."

Of course not, that is why you post propaganda, is it not?

Farmers and Ranchers to Congress: Reject the TPP!

Big Food has launched a charm offensive to sell independent farmers and ranchers on the Trans-Pacific Partnership—and it’s not working.

Ignoring Imports Ignores U.S. Farmers

TPP proponents only talk about increasing farm exports, but they never mention the new influx of agricultural imports. What they don’t want to admit is that these imports will compete directly with U.S. farmers, who will receive less for their crops and livestock.

This is not a theoretical problem. Prior trade deals have brought a flood of imported tomatoes from Mexico, garlic from China and lamb from Australia. Already, we import way more beef from TPP partners than we export to them. In 2015, we had more than a one-billion-pound beef trade deficit with TPP partners. These imports help push down the prices farmers receive for cattle as sides of beef are imported from Australia and Canada and New Zealand.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, agricultural imports are expected to reach a record $119 billion. The TPP would just make these farm and food imports rise faster. That means more dairy powder from New Zealand, more processed fruits and vegetables from Vietnam and Malaysia and more fresh produce from all the TPP partners.

As if that wasn’t reason enough to be wary, many imports come from countries with weaker food safety, environmental and worker protections. We already have had significant problems with imported beef from TPP members Australia and Canada. And with more imports, it is harder for border inspectors to make sure all the imports are safely produced and safe to eat.

And here I was under the impression that progressives were wary of Big Ag. and collusion with government. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Maybe they are just too dumb to understand what is really going on.

• Banned

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

Big Food has launched a charm offensive to sell independent farmers and ranchers on the Trans-Pacific Partnership—and it’s not working.

TPP proponents only talk about increasing farm exports, but they never mention the new influx of agricultural imports. What they don’t want to admit is that these imports will compete directly with U.S. farmers, who will receive less for their crops and livestock.

This is not a theoretical problem. Prior trade deals have brought a flood of imported tomatoes from Mexico, garlic from China and lamb from Australia. Already, we import way more beef from TPP partners than we export to them. In 2015, we had more than a one-billion-pound beef trade deficit with TPP partners. These imports help push down the prices farmers receive for cattle as sides of beef are imported from Australia and Canada and New Zealand.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, agricultural imports are expected to reach a record $119 billion. The TPP would just make these farm and food imports rise faster. That means more dairy powder from New Zealand, more processed fruits and vegetables from Vietnam and Malaysia and more fresh produce from all the TPP partners.

As if that wasn’t reason enough to be wary, many imports come from countries with weaker food safety, environmental and worker protections. We already have had significant problems with imported beef from TPP members Australia and Canada. And with more imports, it is harder for border inspectors to make sure all the imports are safely produced and safe to eat.

And here I was under the impression that progressives were wary of Big Ag. and collusion with government. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. Maybe they are just too dumb to understand what is really going on.

So your telling me farm subsidies of some 35 Billion is not rewarding to you.
And you're not living off public dimes, in some way?
Seems you need to attack your real enemy here. The BIG USA conglomerate, who
are totally tax-exempt, them YUGE farm corporations. These owners and their stock
share holders don't give a little shit for small loser farmers.
It just the free market Con Business ways, FFS!

Btw. They are these importing these goods to sell, so to get your lands. So give into
to the free market ways. Or do you want some trade wars? Where small farmers
will be on the compost piles still. Do they prefer more being in the cow, horse, chicken or pig
shit mixed piles? Do tell!

• Banned

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

are totally tax-exempt, them YUGE farm corporations. These owners and their stock

Btw. They are these importing these goods to sell, so to get your lands. So give into
will be on the compost piles still. Do they prefer more being in the cow, horse, chicken or pig

Btw. Seems the problem whinners here, are in EAGLE GROVE, Iowa.

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

All I'm saying is it is is Big Ag that is pushing the TPP, not the small farmers.

The only people that will benefit from the TPP will be the giant food conglomerates that process food, they benefit when the commodity markets bottom out, it does not matter where the food comes from.

If there were indeed a trade war on the commodity marker for say, pork bellies, or beef, or tomatoes, who do you think would benefit? Not the small farmer.

Maybe not the American consumer, of course not. But the small farmer, the organic farmer, etc. would come roaring back. And it would be good for the market as well. It wouldn't be so good for the wolves of Wall Street and all those demon speculators though. When prices accurately reflect production, it is a good thing.

What's wrong with ensuring a safe food supply? I don't get that?

The biggest beneficiaries of farm subsidies are big Ag. so I fail to see your point. Sure, let's get rid of them.

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

Btw. Seems the problem whinners here, are in EAGLE GROVE, Iowa.

And those whiners aren't the small producers. They are in fact, food processors that buy from multiple producers.

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

Thumb-Sucking Good

Got any more scare stories you want to tell us suckers? I'm hospitalized and can't get a hold of any Stephen King novels.

TGODfeelinduped300.gif
??????

Thumb-Sucking Good

Got any more scare stories you want to tell us suckers? I'm hospitalized and can't get a hold of any Stephen King novels.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I have posted a link in this post that leads to public domain Victorian era novels, (Both "Baron Trump's marvellous underground journey" and "1900 or The Last President,") describing "Trump Prophecies" for your amusement and good health.
Trump Time Travel or Prophecy?

Forum List

Back