Trump tells Lester Holt: Don’t fact-check debates

Unacceptable responses get a follow-up question

"Unacceptable" to whom? Hillary-supporting "journalists?"
A lie, or if you prefer, an inaccurate statement, is not acceptable to anyone. To whine that Trump is spouting "inaccuracies" 70% of the time is not due to political leanings. It's because he doesn't know or care that he's not telling the truth!

If Trump starts spouting bullshit and lies, mrs bill should call him on it. Same goes if she is lying (tee hee "if"). No, seriously - if either of them spouts crap the other needs to call them on it. Leave the moderator to ask the questions, keep things flowing, and to give each person fair response time. Otherwise, they need to butt out. imo.

"Donald Trump says NBC's Lester Holt should not correct his or Hillary Clinton's facts while moderating the first presidential debate.
"I think he has to be a moderator," Trump said on "Fox & Friends" Thursday.
"I mean, if you're debating somebody and if she makes a mistake or I make a mistake ... we'll take each other on," he added. "But I certainly don't think you want Candy Crowley again."
Crowley interjected during an October 2012 debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, after Romney said it took Obama two weeks to refer to the Benghazi, Libya, attacks as terrorism.
"He did call it an act of terror," Crowley told Romney, though she added that he was "correct" that it took that long for the White House to acknowledge the attack was not related to an anti-Islamic video.
Trump on Thursday ripped Crowley's handling of the incident, urging Holt not to follow suit.
"She turned out to be wrong," he said. "I really don't think you want that. That was a very pivotal moment in that debate. And it really threw the debate off and it was unfair. No, I think you have to have somebody that's just - let them argue it out.""
===========================================================================

Now that is a classic. It doesn't surprise me one bit. A proven pathological liar, doesn't want to be fact checked during a debate. Trump won the "Liar of the Year" award primarily for his huge amount of falsehoods in the GOP debates.
2015 Lie of the Year: Donald Trump's campaign misstatements
Donald Trump's file
And doesn't Hillary Clinton also have an honesty problem?
I for one, would love to have both candidate, fact check throughout all three debates.
It's fair to the candidates and even more important, it would be great for the American voters. It would also a nice break from all the negative and typically false advertisements that dumb down voters.
WHO'S WITH ME?

...So says a Candy Crowley fan: Heads I win, tails you lose. Moderators are not participants, and should not interject their personal opinions or beliefs. Unless your are a left wing fascist who wants to control discussion and muzzle the opposition.

if a moderator know that an obvious lie has been said, then he or she should call the candidate out on it. period. if they can't do that, then they should at the very least ask follow up questions 9which they do already) & have the candidate 'expand' on the lie, so they can dig an even deeper hole.
Crowley shot off her fat mouth and was wrong. It wasn't her job and unfortunately Romney rolled over for her. It could have cost him the election. A moderator should moderate the debate, not try to influence the outcome.

Lester will call either of them out.

The question is whether he will call both of them out. His NBC Nightly News is shamelessly pro-Hillary and anti-Trump. I hope he can rise to the occasion, but the recent history of these debates has clearly been one-sided.

Patrick Moynihan said it best........You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts

Moderators need to stay on top of the debate and not allow obvious distortions to go unchallenged

The other participant isn't capable of calling out the lie?

They are trying to be POTUS, they shouldn't need the moderator to fact check.

Who is to say the moderator is the walking encyclopedia on every subject?

The debaters should call each other out on any lies. Prove the liar wrong.

The candidates do not debate each other

They are asked questions by a moderator and respond to the moderator...not the other candidate

With the frequency of Trumps lies and half truths it will be difficult for anyone to keep up

Candy Crowley's bullshit lies when she was moderator is solid evidence that mods should not fact check.

Lester Holt spends a half hour each evening reading from a teleprompter. He's in no position to fact check.. If independent sources want to do so after the debate, then fine.

if a moderator know that an obvious lie has been said, then he or she should call the candidate out on it. period. if they can't do that, then they should at the very least ask follow up questions 9which they do already) & have the candidate 'expand' on the lie, so they can dig an even deeper hole.

Followup questions are appropriate for clarification, but moderators should not contradict a candidate with their own opinions or beliefs, which may themselves be factually inaccurate. Did you see the recent episode of Jeopardy! where the guest MSM talking heads couldn't answer simple questions about politics and government? Candy Crowley isn't the only self-assured idiot "journalist" out there.

The moderator asks a question and listens to the response

Unacceptable responses get a follow-up question. Responses that avoid the question or contain distortions or outright lies deserve a follow-up
If a response is off-topic or unclear, a follow-up is helpful.
If a response contains distortion or falsehood, I believe it is the opponent's responsibility to point that out for the audience, not the moderator's.
Fact-check and/or commentary AFTER the debate is fine.

That is the job of the moderator. To accept or reject a response

We don't want the debate to digress into a....You lie....NO YOU LIE shouting match
That plays right into Trumps wheelhouse

I have never heard a candidate declare that you are not allowed to challenge my lies

Maybe Trump should concentrate on telling the truth for once

I have never heard a candidate declare that you are not allowed to challenge my lies

Maybe Trump should concentrate on telling the truth for once

One person's lie is another person's truth.

"Hands up, Don't shoot!" comes to mind.

Candy Crowley thought Romney had "lied", so she "corrected" him. She was wrong.

We already proved using the moderator as a fact checker does not work. They are not experts on all facts on all subjects.

But "the donald" tells the truth!\Give it up

Anyone who believes the media is able to handle "facts" is delusional.
Having a moderator to do the fact-check is akin to appointing a thief as a treasurer.
Come on! Neither HRC nor Trump tells the truth!
This is the election of POTUS, if we were to elect a truth-teller, the only thing we could do is to stay in couch and forget about voting, because no one qualifies.

"Donald Trump says NBC's Lester Holt should not correct his or Hillary Clinton's facts while moderating the first presidential debate.
"I think he has to be a moderator," Trump said on "Fox & Friends" Thursday.
"I mean, if you're debating somebody and if she makes a mistake or I make a mistake ... we'll take each other on," he added. "But I certainly don't think you want Candy Crowley again."
Crowley interjected during an October 2012 debate between President Obama and Mitt Romney, after Romney said it took Obama two weeks to refer to the Benghazi, Libya, attacks as terrorism.
"He did call it an act of terror," Crowley told Romney, though she added that he was "correct" that it took that long for the White House to acknowledge the attack was not related to an anti-Islamic video.
Trump on Thursday ripped Crowley's handling of the incident, urging Holt not to follow suit.
"She turned out to be wrong," he said. "I really don't think you want that. That was a very pivotal moment in that debate. And it really threw the debate off and it was unfair. No, I think you have to have somebody that's just - let them argue it out.""
===========================================================================

Now that is a classic. It doesn't surprise me one bit. A proven pathological liar, doesn't want to be fact checked during a debate. Trump won the "Liar of the Year" award primarily for his huge amount of falsehoods in the GOP debates.
2015 Lie of the Year: Donald Trump's campaign misstatements
Donald Trump's file
And doesn't Hillary Clinton also have an honesty problem?
I for one, would love to have both candidate, fact check throughout all three debates.
It's fair to the candidates and even more important, it would be great for the American voters. It would also a nice break from all the negative and typically false advertisements that dumb down voters.
WHO'S WITH ME?

You left a critical criterion out of your thread title. "During the debate." To go back and address it later is fair. To do it during the debate is to just open the door to partisan moderators challenging factually correct information because it doesn't fit your leftist agenda

Forum List

Back