Trump Speaks At Fourth-Grade Level, Lowest Of Last 15 U.S. Presidents, New Analysis Finds

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
President Donald Trump—who boasted over the weekend that his success in life was a result of "being, like, really smart"—communicates at the lowest grade level of the last 15 presidents, according to a new analysis of the speech patterns of presidents going back to Herbert Hoover.

The analysis assessed the first 30,000 words each president spoke in office, and ranked them on the Flesch-Kincaid grade level scale and more than two dozen other common tests analyzing English-language difficulty levels. Trump clocked in around mid-fourth grade, the worst since Harry Truman, who spoke at nearly a sixth-grade level.

At the top of the list were Hoover and Jimmy Carter, who were basically at an 11th-grade level, and President Barack Obama, in third place with a high ninth-grade level of communicating with the American people.

flesch-scale-trump-use-this.png

President Donald Trump has the worst vocabulary of any modern president, a new analysis found.

Trump: "I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!" He also tweeted that "throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart."

More at the link below...

Yep, it's pitiful and embarrassing. What do you think?

President Donald Trump—who boasted over the weekend that his success in life was a result of "being, like, really smart"—communicates at the lowest grade level of the last 15 presidents, according to a new analysis of the speech patterns of presidents going back to Herbert Hoover.

The analysis assessed the first 30,000 words each president spoke in office, and ranked them on the Flesch-Kincaid grade level scale and more than two dozen other common tests analyzing English-language difficulty levels. Trump clocked in around mid-fourth grade, the worst since Harry Truman, who spoke at nearly a sixth-grade level.

At the top of the list were Hoover and Jimmy Carter, who were basically at an 11th-grade level, and President Barack Obama, in third place with a high ninth-grade level of communicating with the American people.

President Donald Trump has the worst vocabulary of any modern president, a new analysis found.

Trump: "I think that would qualify as not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!" He also tweeted that "throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart."

No. It is understandable. Look at who he was trying to communicate to, and the rest he really did not care about. If communicating to the lowest common denominator of your support, dumbing down is a good communication strategy. He never cared what intelligent people thought. He wasn't going to impress or even fool most of them, anyway.

Last edited:
Well,.the question of many presidents is not their vocabulary level per se, but the level of the U.S audience they are reaching out to. This is a consideration speech writers must adhere to I'm sure. Grade 11 is the highest vocabulary level of any president? Seems suspect, I'd have to view the methodology. Listen to Reagans speeches from tne 60s BEFORE he was.presdient, ditto for Trump in the 80s when he did interviews. They had more expansive and sophisticated vocabs then. Age and audience matter.

I think you moonbats are beyond pathetic.

Trump Speaks At Fourth-Grade Level, Lowest Of Last 15 U.S. Presidents​

He does that just so that most leftists will be able to understand him!
But worth noting that none of the 15 speak at a COLLEGE LEVEL, all of them speaking at a grades school level.

No doubt produced by some leftwing organization.
BTW, genius, it should be pointed out that there is no correlation between intelligence and speaking. What level did Prof. Stephen Hawking speak at? Did his IQ go down because he lost his vocal skills?
Many bright kids are actually LATE at what date they start talking!
All your chart shows is who has better vocal skills at being good public speakers, and Trump has never been a good public speaker.

Funny your article left out BIDEN'S speaking grade level skills!!! :auiqs.jpg:

But this necessarily, makes the assumption, that the "definition," of what passes for "intelligence," has not changed.

Most folks, do not understand the difference, between a schooling, and an education.
Anyone that has done any serious investigation into Teacher Education, or the taxonomy of student training, would tell you, that this has changed over the years. . .

Though the mass majority of those who follow Trump, may indeed be poorly educated. . . .

The well schooled haters of Trump? IMO? Are just as problematic for this nation. . .

Forget and Adjust

". . . Such attitudes rest on two suppositions: 1. All past thinking and moral judgment must be discounted if not dismissed since it predates the definition of truth as "social good"; and 2. The prepararation for those living in such a society must no longer aim toward the education of a freely choosing moral agent but instead must emphasize the "adjustment" of the individual to the total social good.

… the difference between the old and the new education will be an important one. Where the old initiated, the new merely "conditions." The old dealt with its pupils as grown birds deal with young birds when they teach them to fly: the new deals with them more as the poultry-keeper deals with young birds—making them thus or thus for purposes of which the birds know nothing. In a word, the old was a kind of propagation—men transmitting manhood to men: the new is merely propaganda.³

Such an educational system is not designed to develop a capacity for thinking or to halt the decline of intellect.

It may well be that such an attempt at placing society over the individual (and, indeed, over God as well), would be unacceptable to many persons now living in this nation or in the Western world. It is true, however, that these are the dominant ideas among intellectuals who will largely influence generations to come. The departure from tradition, morality, and even human thought which seems far advanced in theory, has scarcely begun in practice. The most sweeping changes in our society lie ahead unless we decide to reverse the process.

In facing that decision, let us compare the new values with the traditional, with our Western heritage of discovery and development in morality, science, law, and art, a heritage based upon a firm and unswerving faith in man’s ability to reason, in his unique gift of intellect. Remove man’s power to think and to act on the basis of his thinking and you have destroyed the very quality which makes him human. To abandon such a history is to create a vacuum quite likely to be filled with the new "philosophy of change."

You wouldn't want him to speak above your head would you?

Forum List

Back