Trump says 'cancel order' on too expensive new Air Force One

8 trips to Hawaii vs 77 to Crawford. You are a special kind of stupid.

Ya gotta remember. It's much easier to protect a ranch with set defenses and security protocols than to make and plan new one's constantly.

The Obamas rented a secluded estate in Hawaii, dumbasss. It was a short vacation. Bush spent up to a month at a time in Crawford.

And he continued to work while there.

As did Obama on his vacations as well as every other President.

Like when he stayed on vacation after the flooding in Louisiana?
Louisiana asked him not to come!

I believe DT is wrong on this one.The existing 747-200 AF1's are near the end of their service life and are national defense assets which must be kept in being. As to the $4B if I am not mistaken it covers more than two aircraft. The base cost of a 747-8 is around $350M and a civilian VIP conversion adds $200M. However, that is just the beginning as this aircraft must have all the electronics, self-defense capacity and aerial refueling to direct WW3 while airborne for weeks. THAT does not come cheap. Figure also a warehouse full of spare parts is included in the package.
Washington DC is going to learn a new term. It's call negotiation. Trump will get those two jets. But they won't cost us $4 Billion.
Boeing says he pulled $4 bil out of his ass. So far, they've contracted for 2.7 bil.

Think you might have hit that nail on the head.

Nice to have a business mind keeping track of the Washington pennies for a change.
This is just one of the many reasons why we wanted a businessman to run our government. It's natural for them to watch the bottom line. I'd like Trump to require the various federal departments to show a ROI (return on investment).

A businessman who thinks....I have bought airplanes, I know what they should cost
A businessman who fails to question why AF1 would cost so much and what is driving the cost?
A businessman who jumps on Twitter before he has any facts

I would be amazed if three modified airframes were to cost less than $4B. The Engineering alone will cost as much as an average new model introduction
Well you're going to get those two jets cheaper than $4 billion whether you liberals like it or not! Get use to doing things a new way.

Do you have even the least idea of what the functionality of an AF-1 must be?

It is not just the functionality but that the threat against AF1 has changed over the last 30 years. It is up against missiles and stealth aircraft that did not exist in the 1990s.
Airframe parts for a 747 are still available after 30 years but avionics systems, communications, anti-jamming, air defense systems are obsolete.

+QUOTE="rightwinger, post: 15998952, member: 20321"]

Nice to have a business mind keeping track of the Washington pennies for a change.
This is just one of the many reasons why we wanted a businessman to run our government. It's natural for them to watch the bottom line. I'd like Trump to require the various federal departments to show a ROI (return on investment).

A businessman who thinks....I have bought airplanes, I know what they should cost
A businessman who fails to question why AF1 would cost so much and what is driving the cost?
A businessman who jumps on Twitter before he has any facts[/QUOTE]

Trumps a businessman. Not a politician.

What kind of businessman doesn't set the bar for talks on the cost of AFO.

You can bet they will be talking. You can bet Boeing will be listening.

[

You can bet they will be talking. You can bet Boeing will be listening.[/QUOTE]

And if Trump already had a contract with someone, I bet he would tell them to stick it...

[

And if Trump already had a contract with someone, I bet he would tell them to stick it...[/QUOTE]

Not likely. He ain't POTUS yet so he would have no reason to have a contract with another company for AFO.

Common Sense which you don't seem to have any of.

[

And if Trump already had a contract with someone, I bet he would tell them to stick it...

Not likely. He ain't POTUS yet so he would have no reason to have a contract with another company for AFO.

Common Sense which you don't seem to have any of.[/QUOTE]

I don't care if he is in the oval office yet. When he makes a tweet like he did, when he is the President elect... there is no difference. If you can't understand that? Well, it's no wonder why you voted for him.

[

I don't care if he is in the oval office yet. When he makes a tweet like he did, when he is the President elect... there is no difference. If you can't understand that? Well, it's no wonder why you voted for him.[/QUOTE]

Well its no wonder why you didn't. Pretty obvious really. Hillary lost. Trump won. Get over it. LOL

[

I don't care if he is in the oval office yet. When he makes a tweet like he did, when he is the President elect... there is no difference. If you can't understand that? Well, it's no wonder why you voted for him.

Well its no wonder why you didn't. Pretty obvious really. Hillary lost. Trump won. Get over it. LOL[/QUOTE]

AGAIN, I didn't vote for Hillary. You fucking Trump bots are all the same.

[
+QUOTE="rightwinger, post: 15998952, member: 20321"]A businessman who thinks....I have bought airplanes, I know what they should cost

Well its no wonder why you didn't. Pretty obvious really. Hillary lost. Trump won. Get over it. LOL

AGAIN, I didn't vote for Hillary. You fucking Trump bots are all the same.[/QUOTE]

Well whoever you voted for didn't win either.
Get over it.

Trump is the President Elect and he will be for the next four to eight years.

Oh and I voted for Trump but it was a last minute decision for me. I would never vote for Hillary but Johnson is who I voted for last go round. Decided on the Donald and I'm glad I did.

A problem with purchasing an aircraft like Air Force One is that you are only buying two of them

On most aircraft, the R&D, testing and development costs are spread out over hundreds of aircraft

With AF1, you are inventing new technologies to counter new threats and install new capabilities on a one shot basis. Drives up the cost

A problem with purchasing an aircraft like Air Force One is that you are only buying two of them

On most aircraft, the R&D, testing and development costs are spread out over hundreds of aircraft

With AF1, you are inventing new technologies to counter new threats and install new capabilities on a one shot basis. Drives up the cost

For people to understand this best, think of it like a drug for some rare disease. A lot of work goes into finding the formula for it, and it doesn't get bought very often, therefor the cost is much higher than say a regular antibiotic. I learned this the hard way when I had to get a drug that was $3,400 for a 10 day supply.

You would think a great businessman like the Giant Cheeto would know this. But in reality, what does Trump know about manufacturing? Evidently nothing.

You would think a great businessman like the Giant Cheeto would know this. But in reality, what does Trump know about manufacturing? Evidently nothing.

If AF-1 was made in China for cheaper he would be all for it. :whip:

I'd be willing to bet that they will be renegotiating the cost.

I have worked in defense contracting for almost 40 years. It usually comes down to "pay me now or pay me later"

Negotiating a lower cost usually means accepting lesser capabilities. It is difficult to compete a contract like this because Boeing is the only game in town. Trump can threaten to walk away from the deal and continue to use the existing AF1 (with expensive upgrades) but eventually, you will have to pay

I have worked in defense contracting for almost 40 years. It usually comes down to "pay me now or pay me later"

Negotiating a lower cost usually means accepting lesser capabilities. It is difficult to compete a contract like this because Boeing is the only game in town. Trump can threaten to walk away from the deal and continue to use the existing AF1 (with expensive upgrades) but eventually, you will have to pay

You may be right but I'll wait to hear if they do anything about renegotiating the cost.

Oh and this is for the POTUS so I doubt the capabilities will be lesser.

[
+QUOTE="rightwinger, post: 15998952, member: 20321"]A businessman who thinks....I have bought airplanes, I know what they should cost

AGAIN, I didn't vote for Hillary. You fucking Trump bots are all the same.[/QUOTE]
Yep. We're all winners!!!

As opposed to low info whiners like you clowns.

You may be right but I'll wait to hear if they do anything about renegotiating the cost.

Oh and this is for the POTUS so I doubt the capabilities will be lesser.

Again, if Trump had bothered to investigate before he Twittered, he would have found out about what those capabilities are and what they cost

Trump wrote "The art of the deal" so he should know that in order to negotiate, you have to have something to negotiate with

The only card Trump has in his hand is to walk away from the deal. That is what Obama did with Marine One helicopters. Boeing may be willing to accept less profit if they need the contract NOW. Otherwise, they can wait it out and make more profit later when the government becomes desperate for a new AF1

Forum List

Back