Trump is attacking Economic neoliberalism, which underpin the past 70 years of Western economic & cultural order yet he's tied with Biden in the polls

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Although Trump’s anti-neoliberal messaging has been successful, his policies have never matched his rhetoric. By the time he left office, there were fewer, not more, well-paying manufacturing jobs in America. Trump did nothing to curb corporate excess or restore power to families and workers—his primary domestic legislative accomplishment was a tax cut in which 83 percent of the benefits would go to the same 1 percent of the population he attacked in his speeches. And he championed no legislation to rein in the corrosive influence of social media or unchecked automation. Indeed, his promises to undo economic neoliberalism was all empty rhetoric; instead, his entire term was an unending parade of gifts to the very status quo forces he condemned in his rise to power.

Here's the piece Sen Chris Murphy wrote last month on the disintegration of the neoliberal economic order, and why Democrats need to be stronger on reversing globalization, checking technology, and supporting families.

tell me if there's a paywall, there isn't for me

Although Trump’s anti-neoliberal messaging has been successful, his policies have never matched his rhetoric. By the time he left office, there were fewer, not more, well-paying manufacturing jobs in America. Trump did nothing to curb corporate excess or restore power to families and workers—his primary domestic legislative accomplishment was a tax cut in which 83 percent of the benefits would go to the same 1 percent of the population he attacked in his speeches. And he championed no legislation to rein in the corrosive influence of social media or unchecked automation. Indeed, his promises to undo economic neoliberalism was all empty rhetoric; instead, his entire term was an unending parade of gifts to the very status quo forces he condemned in his rise to power.

Here's the piece Sen Chris Murphy wrote last month on the disintegration of the neoliberal economic order, and why Democrats need to be stronger on reversing globalization, checking technology, and supporting families.

I remember Biden said that he was going to get rid of the stock market, I thought for sure that was going to ham him immensely, yet, media hardly spoke about it.

There some funky sh&% going on.

1st credit to you for actually reading and providing a link as opposed to a stupid video.

Now to the article.

Trump and his followers are frauds

While true, so is the opposite. Trump did indeed say a lot of things but then actually did very little.

Let use Obama as the counter as I will get to Biden. While Obama did things, in a large number of instances he did the opposite of what he said which only added to the problems.

He promised to ban lobbying from the White House but one of his first actions was to invite lobbyistst to the White House.

He promised to prosecute the bankers that ran afoul of so many of our laws but again, he did the opposite. He greatly rewarded them.

The rich got richer and the poor got poorer. He promised Hispanics to address immigration his first year and then did nothing. I could go on but enough for now.

First, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law set about the work of rebuilding America’s roads, rails, and power lines, which will attract lost jobs back to America.

How would it do this?

The jury is still out on the CHIP act.

Finally, the Inflation Reduction Act supercharged the domestic renewable-energy industry; one estimate suggests that the law will create 9 million new jobs over the next decade.

It very well may create jobs but it will be at the cost of other jobs. Biden promised to make the rich pay their fair share. No act created by debt is going to reduce inflation.

No paywall so far. Good topic choice. However, instead of stealing an author's work and presenting it as though it were your product, here's how to handle that in the future {it's really not that hard}:
Surveys taken during the past decade suggest that Americans have never been so pessimistic. Despite the nonstop information flow, more Americans report greater feelings of intense loneliness today than at any time before. People know they have more access to things—shiny things, fancy things, complicated things—but they grope for meaning and sense a depressing, decreasing personal control over their own future.

Use the quote function. Bold mine, Chris Murphy's otherwise. Yes, both Obama and Trump outdid all before in terms of fucking over the very people they had made promises to most. Worse than even Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan on that score. It really does seem to be the thought that counts far more than any follow up for many. The blinders go up the moment one decides who they'll support and vote for based on nothing but crafty rhetoric,.. and then nothing can change their minds. It's a clear failure of human nature. Millions of years spent foraging for food ill prepared us for this bullshit.

Forum List

Back