Trump going after American steelworkers

The American steel industry can't currently keep up with current demand. I working in the automotive tool I die industry and the automakers are struggling to secure steel for new model development ad launch while maintaining current production.

The plants and people I know in this industry are thriving and updating equipment. I know a couple of people working at the local steel plant and they are hiring starting at $16 plus good benefits with no skills. It is semi-hard work, 3 shifts, you must pass an aptitude and drug test.

Stainless steel production in the US is growing, ATI dug their own grave as a re-processor of stainless and then leaving the automotive market.

Don’t Count on ATI to Supply Commodity Stainless This Year - Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Rare Earth, Metal Prices, Forecasting | MetalMiner

This is old news,

OP's "Get Trump" thread:

FAIL!

iu

He didn`t get union money but he got plenty of steelworker votes. I worked for this company for 35 years and I know these people.
Trump administration rejects ATI's steel tariff exemption, threatening Beaver County mill
Just weeks after the restart, the tariffs — imposed by the Trump administration in March 2018 — slapped a 25% penalty on the roughly 300,000 metric tons of stainless steel slabs that the joint venture planned to import each year from Indonesia

Good FUCK EM! Make that shit here!

Make bad decisions, deal with it. Buy American.

(It's better quality, anyway)
Yep! This plant can employ 100 people. Great MAKE the steel slabs here and employ what 300-400? Even better!
Don`t you like Capitalism? ATI is trying to make a buck.

He didn`t get union money but he got plenty of steelworker votes. I worked for this company for 35 years and I know these people.
Trump administration rejects ATI's steel tariff exemption, threatening Beaver County mill
Just weeks after the restart, the tariffs — imposed by the Trump administration in March 2018 — slapped a 25% penalty on the roughly 300,000 metric tons of stainless steel slabs that the joint venture planned to import each year from Indonesia

Yep! This plant can employ 100 people. Great MAKE the steel slabs here and employ what 300-400? Even better!

They went about it the wrong way.

The American steel industry can't currently keep up with current demand. I working in the automotive tool I die industry and the automakers are struggling to secure steel for new model development ad launch while maintaining current production.

The plants and people I know in this industry are thriving and updating equipment. I know a couple of people working at the local steel plant and they are hiring starting at $16 plus good benefits with no skills. It is semi-hard work, 3 shifts, you must pass an aptitude and drug test.

Stainless steel production in the US is growing, ATI dug their own grave as a re-processor of stainless and then leaving the automotive market.

Don’t Count on ATI to Supply Commodity Stainless This Year - Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Stainless, Rare Earth, Metal Prices, Forecasting | MetalMiner

This is old news,
They dug their own grave? They built the world`s most advanced hot rolling mill for $1.2 Billion and they did it with cash, not bank loans. This company has done very well with their union work force. A steel plant paying $16 an hour for that kind of work should be embarrassed. What kind of idiots are they hiring that put their asses on the line for less than my garbage collector makes? This is what a state of the art steel mill looks like.
ati brackenridge plant photos - Bing images

This is old news,
They dug their own grave? They built the world`s most advanced hot rolling mill for $1.2 Billion and they did it with cash, not bank loans. This company has done very well with their union work force. A steel plant paying $16 an hour for that kind of work should be embarrassed. What kind of idiots are they hiring that put their asses on the line for less than my garbage collector makes? This is what a state of the art steel mill looks like.

Apparently, they aren't making that steel, so until they do, they can go pound sand and take the losses.

This is old news,

Apparently, they aren't making that steel, so until they do, they can go pound sand and take the losses.
And Trump will take the losses in a state that he won by a slim margin. Coal hasn`t made a comeback here in western Pa. so that`s not working for him either.

By dragging foreign steel into the country when they are in the MIDDLE of steel country! No I particularly care for capitalism. They would SAVE money by making the steel themselves or getting it from someone in America. Save a LOT in shipping costs.

This is old news,

And Trump will take the losses in a state that he won by a slim margin. Coal hasn`t made a comeback here in western Pa. so that`s not working for him either.

Western PA is not western VA. :dunno:

There may be slightly less inbreeding.

This is old news,

Sure they did, that plant looks worse than most plants around here, and hot rolling steel is basically computer and robotic controlled now. You don't have hundreds of men in silver suits on the floor with spark flying everywhere.

The bottom line is they are a reprocessor of steel without an affordable source. AK nor any other stainless producers is going to sell them slab stainless at a price they are willing to pay to be as profitable as the desire. The market is hot for stainless so producers of stainless are finishing their product to the parameters there customers and contracts require. Their business models was to finish china stainless.

If they were this great community oriented company they would sacrifice their profit margin, develop and maintain contract obligations for the benefit of the community and operate their facility until the market improved in their favor or sell it if it is so "state of the art"

Last edited:

This is old news,

Both my friends that work at Gerdau are at $30 plus now after working there a 20+ years. Both only have a high school diploma., One is an overhead crane operator moving, staging material, the other is a systems controller now sitting in an air conditioned room monitoring, maintaining production on an automated system.

What does ATI start unskilled labor at? Steel suppliers plan big projects

Last edited:
Can't read the link, I'm not subscribing, union pillagers donate to communists, so I don't give a shit if they get what they pay for. You believe AOC wouldn't shut down that mill in a second because of your carbon footprint, but you don't care if your dues go to her do you?
No congressman/woman has the authority to shut down a factory. You`ll learn this in your 9th grade Civics class assuming that you stay in school for a couple more years.

Can't read the link, I'm not subscribing, union pillagers donate to communists, so I don't give a shit if they get what they pay for. You believe AOC wouldn't shut down that mill in a second because of your carbon footprint, but you don't care if your dues go to her do you?
No congressman/woman has the authority to shut down a factory. You`ll learn this in your 9th grade Civics class assuming that you stay in school for a couple more years.

^Lashing out like an injured wild animal.

Author the OP article:

danielmoore.png

^Does that not say "I'm a douchelord", or no?

Did you never acquire a hairstyle, or wtf? He ain't no steelworker.

They tried to get me into that, too.
I probably would make more money, but I do what I do.

You can see the bowl lines...
Haircut in mom's cellar.

Jo

It's Trumps tariffs that are hurting the steel mill. Because of them, the mill can only operate at 40 percent.

So much for saving steel worker jobs eh?
It's not just them either. Somewhere downstream there are projects not getting done because they can't afford the steel, and upstream the folks who provide the coke for the furnaces are not selling any either. That's coal BTW.

You dudmutt.....

The Chinese are buying the coal
at premium prices.

Jo

Forum List

Back