Trump family loses bid to move marketing scam lawsuit to arbitration

Denizen

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2018
More Trump scams are being exposed. In this litigation, the Trumps were defeated in an attempt to have the matter arbitrated instead of litigated.

How many more Trump scams will be exposed as the Trump family appears to have no compunction about using the Trump name to scam the proletariat.

Dopey Donald Trump and his family could experience decades in litigation after he is expunged from the presidency.

Reuters
By Jonathan Stempel
,Reuters•April 9, 2020

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge in Manhattan rejected an effort by U.S. President Donald Trump and his adult children to send a lawsuit accusing them of exploiting their family name to promote a marketing scam into arbitration.

In a Wednesday night decision concerning the American Communications Network, U.S. District Judge Lorna Schofield accused the Trumps of acting unfairly by seeking arbitration after first obtaining "the benefits of litigating in federal court," including the dismissal of a racketeering claim.

"This conduct is both substantively prejudicial towards Plaintiffs and seeks to use the [Federal Arbitration Act] as a vehicle to manipulate the rules of procedure to Defendants' benefit and Plaintiffs' harm," Schofield wrote.

Defendants included Trump's adult children Donald Jr., Eric and Ivanka, and an affiliate of the Trump Organization.

"The court erred, and while we are disappointed, we will take an immediate appeal," Joanna Hendon, a lawyer for the Trumps, said in an email.

In the October 2018 complaint, the Trumps were accused of misleading victims into becoming salespeople for ACN, a multi-level marketing company that charged $499 for a chance to sell videophones and other goods.

According to the plaintiffs, the Trump family conned them into thinking Donald Trump, who had yet to become president, believed their investments would pay off.

They said the real goal was for the Trumps to enrich themselves, including through the receipt of millions of dollars in secret payments from 2005 to 2015.

The Trumps have called the lawsuit politically motivated, and said Donald's Trump's endorsement of ACN was merely his opinion.

In rejecting arbitration, Schofield noted the plaintiffs' claim that they had no reason to believe their agreements to arbitrate with ACN also covered the Trumps.

Roberta Kaplan, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said in an email she looked forward to pursuing the proposed class action on behalf of her clients and "thousands of others like them who were defrauded by the Trumps."

Last July, Schofield said the plaintiffs could pursue state law claims of fraud, false advertising and unfair competition against the Trumps, despite dismissing the racketeering claim.

The case is Doe et al v Trump Corp et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 18-09936.

Isn't this the second post on this today?

Didn't read the other one either.

There are so many Trump scams. There could be hundreds of threads on different Trump scams.

Trump has evidently scammed JGalt.

Trump never scammed me. He gave me the tears of millions of Democrats flowing down their rosy little cheeks.

Now he's giving me $1200 to spend on ammunition.

What a deal.

:dance:

More Trump scams are being exposed. In this litigation, the Trumps were defeated in an attempt to have the matter arbitrated instead of litigated.

How many more Trump scams will be exposed as the Trump family appears to have no compunction about using the Trump name to scam the proletariat.

Dopey Donald Trump and his family could experience decades in litigation after he is expunged from the presidency.

Reuters
By Jonathan Stempel
,Reuters•April 9, 2020

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A federal judge in Manhattan rejected an effort by U.S. President Donald Trump and his adult children to send a lawsuit accusing them of exploiting their family name to promote a marketing scam into arbitration.

In a Wednesday night decision concerning the American Communications Network, U.S. District Judge Lorna Schofield accused the Trumps of acting unfairly by seeking arbitration after first obtaining "the benefits of litigating in federal court," including the dismissal of a racketeering claim.

"This conduct is both substantively prejudicial towards Plaintiffs and seeks to use the [Federal Arbitration Act] as a vehicle to manipulate the rules of procedure to Defendants' benefit and Plaintiffs' harm," Schofield wrote.

Defendants included Trump's adult children Donald Jr., Eric and Ivanka, and an affiliate of the Trump Organization.

"The court erred, and while we are disappointed, we will take an immediate appeal," Joanna Hendon, a lawyer for the Trumps, said in an email.

In the October 2018 complaint, the Trumps were accused of misleading victims into becoming salespeople for ACN, a multi-level marketing company that charged $499 for a chance to sell videophones and other goods.

According to the plaintiffs, the Trump family conned them into thinking Donald Trump, who had yet to become president, believed their investments would pay off.

They said the real goal was for the Trumps to enrich themselves, including through the receipt of millions of dollars in secret payments from 2005 to 2015.

The Trumps have called the lawsuit politically motivated, and said Donald's Trump's endorsement of ACN was merely his opinion.

In rejecting arbitration, Schofield noted the plaintiffs' claim that they had no reason to believe their agreements to arbitrate with ACN also covered the Trumps.

Roberta Kaplan, a lawyer for the plaintiffs, said in an email she looked forward to pursuing the proposed class action on behalf of her clients and "thousands of others like them who were defrauded by the Trumps."

Last July, Schofield said the plaintiffs could pursue state law claims of fraud, false advertising and unfair competition against the Trumps, despite dismissing the racketeering claim.

The case is Doe et al v Trump Corp et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 18-09936.

TDS thread 1,348

There are so many Trump scams. There could be hundreds of threads on different Trump scams.

according to idiots and weak whiners like you the the biggest scam he pulled was on dems in 2016 ! Trump laid the pipe to yall !

Trump never scammed me. He gave me the tears of millions of Democrats flowing down their rosy little cheeks.

What a deal.

If you voted for him, he scammed you.

What a deal.

It's his way of helping out the ammo manufacturers.

What a deal.

Not hardly. It's your $1200 of tax money that going to pay for my ammo stash, Workie.

Now get back to work as soon as you can.

:laughing0301:

What a deal.

if you thought hillary as going to win the hag scammed you !

What a deal.

Not hardly. It's your $1200 of tax money that going to pay for my ammo stash, Workie.

Ah, so you finally admit you conservatives don't pay taxes.

We all knew that already.

Don't worry, you'll be back to flipping burgers before you know it.

What a deal.

Not a Clinton fan.

This time you scammed yourself.

What a deal.

I'm retired, Workie.

Not git back to work soon, so ah kin haz me sum uh dem Trump Bucks.

What a deal.

Not a Clinton fan.

so you voted for a 3rd candidate !! wow ! what a waste of time .

What a deal.

Not a Clinton fan.

so you voted for a 3rd candidate !! wow ! what a waste of time .

What a deal.

Not a Clinton fan.

so you voted for a 3rd candidate !! wow ! hat a waste of time .

Any vote that didn't go to Hillary just helped Trump to win.

What a deal.

I'm retired, Workie.

Not git back to work soon, so ah kin haz me sum uh dem Trump Bucks.
Yeah yeah yeah, all of you tRumplings are retired, independently wealthy, job creating, ex sniper, gunsmiths, with multiple homes, huge stock portfolios, the biggest trucks, blah blah blah.

Forum List

Back