• No (after hearing details)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Leftists Denounce Peace Deal Between Israel and the UAE
By
David Lange
-
August 13, 2020
I am sure you’ve already heard the news: Israel and the United Arab Emirates reached a historic agreement today to set up full diplomatic relations between the two countries.
You’d think those on the Left would welcome a peace treaty, right?

Just kidding – I am sure you all know better than that.
They hate it.
Here are some of the reactions:
Rashida Tlaib.
Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab
Rashida Tlaib
@RashidaTlaib

We won’t be fooled by another Trump/Netanyahu deal. We won't celebrate Netanyahu for not stealing land he already controls in exchange for a sweetheart business deal. The heart of the issue has never been planned, formal annexation, but ongoing, devastating apartheid.
Read more:

History Series
BTW, Rashida Tlaib won her reelection with 66% of the vote.

Of course those crazy Zionists and rightwingnuts don't like her.
What does this have to do with the thread?
There's an actual topic, it's not Tlaib's election campaign.

Neither about your hasty generalizations of
Right-wing Zionists and Left-wing Zionists.

If you don't have anything on topic - get lost.
Mindful brought up Rashida Tlaib. I was merely responding to her post.

Those folks go on Egyptian TV demanding "a million martyr march to Jerusalem",
while having Iranian and Qatari flags on the billboards.
And even Qatar is giving signs of "had
I dont particularly get Qatar's stance about some Middle East issues. Especially their relations with Iran which led to harsh measures from Saudi Arabia.

Yes, I understand that the wealth of Qatari ruling family raised their ambitions and they want political influence. But they should understand that overall Qatar doesn't have financial and military might to be a major player in the region. Maybe they were disappointed by SA, but in their possible alliance with Iran or Turkey they will play only a second role.

I think that Qatar returning to cooperation with the Gulf monarchies will be a breaking point.

After news came out about the Israel-UAE peace deal, my immediate thought was “I have to speak to my UAE-based friend Thani to get his take.”

So I did.

Lebanese President Michel Aoun dropped a bombshell statement on Saturday night, telling French TV his country may be ready for peace with Israel.

Asked in an exclusive interview with France’s BFM television whether Lebanon was ready to make peace with Israel, he responded: “That depends. We have problems with Israel and we have to resolve them first.”

It was a shocking statement by a president whose rise has benefited from a more than decade-old alliance with Hezbollah, arguably the most powerful military force in the country.

Asked what he thought of the United Arab Emirates’ treaty concluded with Israel last Thursday, Aoun responded that the UAE “is an independent country.”

That suggested Aoun would not be held back from negotiations by any pan-Arab considerations.

After news came out about the Israel-UAE peace deal, my immediate thought was “I have to speak to my UAE-based friend Thani to get his take.”

So I did.

GREAT CONVERSATION!

Thank You...so inspiring, I'm actually thinking about opening a channel like that, as they've suggested,
to engage on a personal level with citizens of Arab countries.

Got this mental picture...can't wait to see these guys somewhere on the streets
and just meet with a BIG smile...not pushing for more, no less.

Can't wait to embrace them, and show our Israeli warmth,
Just You know, smile, look in the eyes, shake hands, casually in the street, for no reason,
just plainly on a personal level, mere 25 seconds, that can resonate deeper and seal the relationship
more than 100 years of diplomacy. Might sound kitch in the West, but that's what the ME actually is...

these things are no less real than all the official entourage
we're personally much more simple than usually told - that's the language, people take such things close to heart, matters a lot despite typical western cynicism.

This is just one example...both folks connected as FATHERS...think about it.

Last edited:
Given Joe Biden’s role in the Obama administration’s decision to sign a nuclear deal with Iran, it should not be surprising that he would advocate reversing President Donald Trump’s decision to repudiate the agreement. Doing so, however, would compound the mistake Obama made — and worse, reward Iran’s misbehavior.
Let’s review some of the reasons the original agreement was a failure:
  • Iranian hostility toward the United States never abated.
  • Iran prevented “anywhere, anytime” inspections, making verification impossible.
  • Iran failed to disclose information about its prior nuclear activities.
  • Iran continued to pursue a bomb.
Biden has said he will negotiate a better deal, but that is what critics urged from the outset and were told could not be done. Instead, Obama signed a terrible deal because of his poor negotiating skills, naivete, weak bargaining position created by his unwillingness to use military force, and desperation to have a foreign policy accomplishment for his legacy.
Iranians have been out-bargaining people for centuries, so Obama had no chance of coming out ahead. Iran was willing to accept the short term pain of allowing inspections at non-military facilities (that is, the ones where they were most likely to engage in nuclear R&D) and limitations on enrichment (while being allowed to keep centrifuges now used to increase uranium purity) in exchange for the end of sanctions and a $150 billion payoff. Meanwhile, they could continue their covert nuclear operations and continue to threaten their neighbors, sponsor terror, and develop ballistic missiles. Obama’s naive belief that Iran would cease hostility toward the United States was as fantastical as his idea that Palestinians would agree to peace if he put the screws to Israel.

Given Joe Biden’s role in the Obama administration’s decision to sign a nuclear deal with Iran, it should not be surprising that he would advocate reversing President Donald Trump’s decision to repudiate the agreement. Doing so, however, would compound the mistake Obama made — and worse, reward Iran’s misbehavior.
  • Iran prevented “anywhere, anytime” inspections, making verification impossible.
Biden has said he will negotiate a better deal, but that is what critics urged from the outset and were told could not be done. Instead, Obama signed a terrible deal because of his poor negotiating skills, naivete, weak bargaining position created by his unwillingness to use military force, and desperation to have a foreign policy accomplishment for his legacy.
Iranians have been out-bargaining people for centuries, so Obama had no chance of coming out ahead. Iran was willing to accept the short term pain of allowing inspections at non-military facilities (that is, the ones where they were most likely to engage in nuclear R&D) and limitations on enrichment (while being allowed to keep centrifuges now used to increase uranium purity) in exchange for the end of sanctions and a $150 billion payoff. Meanwhile, they could continue their covert nuclear operations and continue to threaten their neighbors, sponsor terror, and develop ballistic missiles. Obama’s naive belief that Iran would cease hostility toward the United States was as fantastical as his idea that Palestinians would agree to peace if he put the screws to Israel.

I'm more interested in Biden's view on Turkey,
another side of the deal kept out of discourse.

It would be a much greater 'Deal of the Century' if Kurds were included.
Again not naive with the expectation, but I think there's an opportunity we're missing.

If position towards Israel can shift, towards Kurds should as well.
I hope at least this apparent silence serves constructive means long term.

Again not naive with the expectation, but I think there's an opportunity we're missing.

I dread the thought of Biden reversing the Iran issue.

I dread the thought of Biden reversing the Iran issue.

Seems at this point everything is on the table.
Regardless election results.

We should look beyond the next 4 years, a clearer trajectory.

Israel Hayom editor: We got peace and settlements

Boaz Bismuth, editor of Israel Hayom newspaper: The US administration said sovereignty is suspended, not cancelled.

Boaz Bismuth, editor of the Israel Hayom newspaper, spoke to Arutz Sheva following the Abraham Accords between Israel and the United Arab Emirates.

Asked about those who argue that the agreement was not necessary since the UAE and Israel were not enemies to begin with, he replied, “Those who say that don’t really understand the region, the Middle East and the psychology of the Arab world. The psychological effect of this agreement is immense, and why? Because you do it openly and that is so important. Now, at last, you can be friends with a Jew in the Middle East.”

Bismuth also commented on the issue of sovereignty over Judea and Samaria, which Israel reportedly cancelled in exchange for the agreement with the UAE. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has stressed that sovereignty is still on the table.

“Suspend and cancel are two different words,” said Bismuth. “Suspend is for a limited amount of time. For me, you cannot cancel something which I would say is a process. It’s a historical process and I’m talking about applying Israeli law over Judea and Samaria and the Jordan Valley. This is something that will happen if not today, tomorrow, and if not tomorrow, then the day after tomorrow.”

“I would say that the biggest problem we had in applying the law is the fact that there was no consensus in the Israeli government. When you make a government with Blue and White and when your Minister of Defense and Minister of Foreign Affairs do not agree with that, it was very difficult for Prime Minister Netanyahu to apply Israeli law. But what did he give us instead? He gave us a peace treaty with the Emirates and probably with other countries soon, and second, we heard from Washington the word ‘suspend’. We did not hear the word ‘cancel’. So I would say let’s wait a little bit. I’m very optimistic.”

Asked what would happen if US President Donald Trump does not win the November election, Bismuth replied, “I wouldn’t dare say that Mr. Biden is anti-Israeli. I don’t think he is. [But] I would say we have a problem, especially with the Democratic party, with the places they are going, with some of the representatives they have today. The only thing I regret right now is that I don’t have an American passport, because if I had an American passport, this would be the easiest election ever.”

Bismuth acknowledged that “there is a danger that we will not have Trump winning in a landslide” but concluded, “Let’s be optimistic always. As Jews, we pray for peace. What did we get on Thursday? We got peace and settlements.”

(Comment)

'The Abraham Accords'...
I very much like how symbolically significant it sounds, biblical.

• "It is stupid to burn my country's flag and want me to salute you." — Dr. Waseem Yousef, Emirati academic, on Twitter.
  • "When I see the flag of my country being burned by some Palestinians because of the peace treaty with Israel – I apologize to every Israeli man if I offended him in the past." — Dr. Waseem Yousef.
  • "Imagine that in just 17 years, Saudi Arabia paid [the Palestinians] $6 billion and the UAE $2.5 billion. This means that in 40 years, we are talking about no less than $20 billion. I expect that had we spent this money on Israel, its people would have converted to Islam." — From a UAE-affiliated account on Twitter.
  • The Palestinian leaders' strong condemnation of the UAE and other Arab states that support normalization with Israel has also driven many Arabs to raise the issue of financial corruption of the Palestinian leadership. Some Gulf citizens pointed out that the personal fortunes of Hamas leaders Ismail Haniyeh and Khaled Mashaal are worth at least $9 billion, while others claimed that Mahmoud Abbas's personal wealth is estimated at $200 million.
778.jpg

Scenes of Palestinians burning and trampling flags of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and pictures of its de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Zayed, have sparked a wave of protests in a number of Arab countries. Pictured: Palestinians in Ramallah burn pictures of Bin Zayed and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, on August 15, 2020. (Photo by Abbas Momani/AFP via Getty Images)

RE: Trump Deal - details, reactions and development on the ground
※→ Mindful, et al,

BLUF: Now this is about Arab attitudes towards the Palestinians → Quite Interesting.

• "It is stupid to burn my country's flag and want me to salute you." — Dr. Waseem Yousef, Emirati academic, on Twitter.
  • "When I see the flag of my country being burned by some Palestinians because of the peace treaty with Israel – I apologize to every Israeli man if I offended him in the past." — Dr. Waseem Yousef.
  • "Imagine that in just 17 years, Saudi Arabia paid [the Palestinians] $6 billion and the UAE $2.5 billion. This means that in 40 years, we are talking about no less than $20 billion. I expect that had we spent this money on Israel, its people would have converted to Islam." — From a UAE-affiliated account on Twitter.
  • The Palestinian leaders' strong condemnation of the UAE and other Arab states that support normalization with Israel has also driven many Arabs to raise the issue of financial corruption of the Palestinian leadership. Some Gulf citizens pointed out that the personal fortunes of Hamas leaders Ismail Haniyeh and Khaled Mashaal are worth at least $9 billion, while others claimed that Mahmoud Abbas's personal wealth is estimated at $200 million

(QUESTION)

I wonder just how wide-spread this sentiment is in the Arab-world?

SIGIL PAIR.png
Most Respectfully,
R

Israel Fans
22 hrs ·
Can you believe this?
The Palestinian Grand Mufti forbids Muslims who come via UAE to pray at Al-Aqsa Mosque only because of the peace agreement.
The Palestinian leadership would rather block Muslims from visiting a holy site just because their hate for Israel is greater than their love for peace. Shameful!

Image may contain: text that says PALESTINIAN ISLAMIC LEADER FORBIDS MUSLIMS TO VISIT ISRAEL VIA UAE
Hananya NaftaliLike Page
20 August at 17:23 ·
Can you believe this?
The Palestinian Grand Mufti forbids Muslims who come via UAE to pray at Al-Aqsa Mosque only because of the peace agreement.

UAE top official: "The normalization will continue even if Israel extends sovereignty in Judea Samaria

Foreign Minister Chief of the Emirate surprised when clarifying that the agreement between the the states will remain intact also in case of "annexing territories in Judea and Samaria". MK Miki Zohar: "Have to apply sovereignty now"

A surprising message from Abu Dhabi: the chief of the Arab Emirate's foreign ministry, Jamal Musharh, addressed today (Tuesday) the normalization between the kingdom from the Persian gulf an Israel, and clarified that "normalization will continue even if Israel will extend its sovereignty in territories of Judea and Samaria.". With that he mentioned that "one of the pre-conditions for application of sovereignty was cease of annexation". The foreign ministry chief of the Emirates also added that he "received guarantees from leaders in Israel and USA", according to which the move wont go forth. Musharh claimed that normalization with Israel will benefit with the entire region, including Palestinians. "There's a place for innovation and education and future for the young that they won't grow up in area of conflict", said and added: "too many conflicts in the region and time has come to impatiently look for a path that will stand and hope for future." In addition also confirmed the words of Prime Minister, Binyamin Netanyahu that sales of the F-35 jets is not to do with the connections with Israel, "It was in no way the motive, for the purchase of the F-35 is a legitimate and long-time request that we have. We see them as legitimate".

In response to the speech of Iran's leader, 'Ali Khaminaim, that normalization with Israel is "treason" and "the UAE will be forever humiliated", said Musharh that "the path to peace and prosperity is not in hate speech". As for the discussions about the normalization between the states, added that the rhythm of things moves in a "healthy" manner, but it difficult to conclude at this stage when the embassies will open or when the signing ceremony will take place in the US.

(Comment)

"One of the pre-conditions for application of sovereignty was cease of annexation"

Wow, I'm really surprised how much they get it, to the point.

Forum List

Back