Trent Lott, Strom Thurmond, GOP Racist Campaigns

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
What is it many right wingers here are in denial over?

Is it the fact that racists left the DNC enmass over to the waiting arms of the GOP?

Racism is part of American politics. We can never get over it if we can't deal openly with it. The current arguments surrounding Senator Harry Reid, have nothing to do with furthering the dialogue of racism and lots to do with the partisan bickering and gotcha politics of an immature and ignorant electorate.

States' Rights Democratic Party nomination

The Southern Democrats who had bolted the Democratic Convention over Truman's civil rights platform promptly met at Municipal Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama and formed yet another political party, which they named the "States' Rights" Democratic Party.

More commonly known as the “Dixiecrats”, the party's main goal was continuing the policy of racial segregation in the South and the Jim Crow laws that sustained it. South Carolina Governor Strom Thurmond, who had led the walkout, became the party's presidential nominee. Mississippi Governor Fielding L. Wright received the vice presidential nomination.

The Dixiecrats had no chance of winning the election themselves since they were not on the ballot in enough states.

Their strategy was to take enough Southern states from Truman to force the election into the United States House of Representatives, where they could then extract concessions from either Truman or Dewey on racial issues in exchange for their support.

Even if Dewey won the election outright, the Dixiecrats hoped that their defection would show that the Democratic Party needed Southern support in order to win national elections, and that this fact would weaken the pro-civil rights movement among Northern and Western Democrats.

However, the Dixiecrats were weakened when most Southern Democratic leaders (such as Governor Herman Talmadge of Georgia and "Boss" Edward H. Crump of Tennessee) refused to support the party. Despite being an incumbent President, Truman was not placed on the ballot in Alabama.[4]

I want to say this about my state. When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years either.
-Trent Lott

The platform we had in Dallas, the 1984 Republican platform, all the ideas we supported there - from tax policy, to foreign policy; from individual rights, to neighborhood security - are things that Jefferson Davis and his people believed in.
-Trent Lott

GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics
By Richard Benedetto, USA TODAY

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to one of the nation's largest black civil rights groups Thursday, saying Republicans had not done enough to court blacks in the past and had exploited racial strife to court white voters, particularly in the South.

"It's not healthy for the country for our political parties to be so racially polarized," said Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman.

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," Mehlman said at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong." -USATODAY.com - GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

Dixiecrat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ss_crusader_frank_nitwittisims.jpg

Frank. you got your hair cut. All 7 strands at once. Bravo.

Forum List

Back