Treeshepherd's Model of Truth

Treeshepherd

Wood Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2014
Endor
You've got absolute truth; something is always true in every instance.

You've got Aristotle's relative truth; everyone is stealing, therefore it's okay for me to steal.

And then you have relational truth; my family is starving, there is no work, given my temporary situation it's okay for me to steal a loaf of bread.

Relational truth exists within a context of time and situation. I am unique, I have a conscience and at crucial times during the day I have a choice to make. Perhaps at that fleeting instance a type of absolute truth presents itself and then it vanishes. Something to think about.

Imagine the role of a python within the context of a rainforest. At first, you might say that the python is antagonistic toward birds and small mammals. Take a meta perspective, and you understand that all the species of the rainforest co-exist in an ever-evolving balance.

How does this model inform us about religion? Today, it’s a small world after all. World religions come into conflict within an eco-system of belief systems. What I would argue against is a world that is increasingly becoming an amorphous monoculture. What I’d rather see develop is a world where different belief systems exist together in a state of creative tension.

A religion of today should not only be rated by how well it co-exists with other religions, but also by what unique attributes it has to contribute. Does it challenge other belief systems in a way which is ultimately constructive?

Most atheists don’t really even know where their values originate. After all, it’s perfectly logical for me to kill my neighbor and take his possessions. His loss is my gain, as long as I remain unpunished by the law. Obviously, atheists don’t tend to operate as much on logic as they think they do. They have ethics, which are the purview of religion.

Atheists annoy me, because in my opinion they tend to be blind to the value of religion. But, I must recognize that within a cosmic scheme they serve a necessary purpose. In a rainforest, you have producers, consumers and decomposers. Active atheists perform a necessary function like a fungus or a termite. It’s a lower chakra sort of dharma, but somebody has to do it.

We are all each others teachers and lessons..to understand the karmic process is to embrace the change from those lessons. Elitist or superior thought is not helpful and we are all best served by not becoming attached to their negativity.. we learn our most valuable lessons from adversaries and those that hate us. Bless them so your light shines on them and their darkness can be overcome in due process.

Forum List

Back