Transgender, Non-Binary, and all the Ridiculousness in Between...

Look at the suicide rates of LGBT individuals... It's not like they are sliding off of rainbows with the intent of spreading their disease. They live and struggle with a difference that they possess that is not yet very socially acceptable, and most suffer greatly. It is a very difficult issue as I understand the "Rights" want to keep it traditional and simple but lets also not confuse the intent of the Left. They aren't trying to confuse or encourage children one way or the other, they are trying to create a more accepting and less intimidating environment for those who are in the LGBT community. I'd hope whether we are right or left we would all be in line with this goal and work together to find the best and most practical solutions.

Look at the suicide rates of LGBT individuals... It's not like they are sliding off of rainbows with the intent of spreading their disease. They live and struggle with a difference that they possess that is not yet very socially acceptable, and most suffer greatly. It is a very difficult issue as I understand the "Rights" want to keep it traditional and simple but lets also not confuse the intent of the Left. They aren't trying to confuse or encourage children one way or the other, they are trying to create a more accepting and less intimidating environment for those who are in the LGBT community. I'd hope whether we are right or left we would all be in line with this goal and work together to find the best and most practical solutions.
Changing language doesn't change feelings. Just ask the black community...it doesn't matter whether we have called them African American, black, negro, colored, or any other term...language change doesn't dictate feeling change, racism has been in America and still is. I think that most people (not all) can get behind being more accepting to the LGBT community. I, for one, certainly am. However, doing that means going out there and changing what people think and feel, not what people say. Fighting the wrong battle is to set yourself up for nothing but failure.

Noun

1. 1.
    the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
    "traditional concepts of gender"
(typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones). :dunno:
This is provably false. Did they ever ask you in school what American gender culture you identified with when teaching these concepts? When you were in 2nd grade (or whenever we learn pronoun usage) did they have everybody fill out a questionnaire related to how our society typically classifies masculine and feminine traits and then assign you your correct pronoun based off of your answers? Did they then have you memorize which pronoun to use with which of you classmates? Did they ever teach you to ask each person what they identified with before you used a pronoun to identify with them? The answer is no.

They told you men / boys are "he" and women / girls are "she" when replacing a proper noun with a pronoun. it is simple. It is effective. It works. I never learned in school (and neither did you by the way) that we use these pronouns based off of what a person feels, but rather what the ARE. This implies a biological rather than cultural basis.

Here is another example. Think of a newborn baby. Now your baby is a boy or a girl and there is no way that it has the faculties or knowledge to identify with a certain gender culture. Now...do we never use masculine or feminine pronouns when referring to the baby until it grows up enough to understand what it identifies with? Nope. We use the pronoun representing what the baby is biologically. If you have a baby boy and your son takes his first steps you don't go around and tell people "It just took its first step today!" You say, "He just took his first step today!"
he, she , him, her, guy, girl are all social concepts. Male and Female, which is a person sex, are biological.
I just gave examples that disproved that assertion. Concrete examples in which pronouns are based off of a person's biology rather than identity. If not then please prove that we use he / she when referring to newborn babies because they identify with that gender and not because that is what they are biologically.

Just to clarify, I am not saying that there isn't a masculine or feminine culture. I am saying that that culture doesn't have anything to do with pronoun usage. If you have a penis you are "he", if you don't you are "she" any other usage of these terms is incorrect.
You are solving your own dilemma, you just don't realize it :)
pronouns are based off of a person's biology rather than identity
Correct, but it is a SOCIAL CONCEPT. Biology isn't socially constructed.
Biology is fact; society is opinion on a level of conformity or rebellion.
There is a HUGE difference and when discussing these things, I think it is important to understand the difference between social acceptance and biological delusion.

Changing language doesn't change feelings. Just ask the black community...it doesn't matter whether we have called them African American, black, negro, colored, or any other term...language change doesn't dictate feeling change, racism has been in America and still is. I think that most people (not all) can get behind being more accepting to the LGBT community. I, for one, certainly am. However, doing that means going out there and changing what people think and feel, not what people say. Fighting the wrong battle is to set yourself up for nothing but failure.
I think it is a combo of both... Many still refer to LGBT with very nasty and degrading labels... Just as the "N" word was widely used for Blacks by the haters during and before the civil rights movement. So language does have an effect. But I do agree it needs to be much more than just language to make a difference.

Noun

1. 1.
    the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
(typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones). :dunno:
This is provably false. Did they ever ask you in school what American gender culture you identified with when teaching these concepts? When you were in 2nd grade (or whenever we learn pronoun usage) did they have everybody fill out a questionnaire related to how our society typically classifies masculine and feminine traits and then assign you your correct pronoun based off of your answers? Did they then have you memorize which pronoun to use with which of you classmates? Did they ever teach you to ask each person what they identified with before you used a pronoun to identify with them? The answer is no.

They told you men / boys are "he" and women / girls are "she" when replacing a proper noun with a pronoun. it is simple. It is effective. It works. I never learned in school (and neither did you by the way) that we use these pronouns based off of what a person feels, but rather what the ARE. This implies a biological rather than cultural basis.

Here is another example. Think of a newborn baby. Now your baby is a boy or a girl and there is no way that it has the faculties or knowledge to identify with a certain gender culture. Now...do we never use masculine or feminine pronouns when referring to the baby until it grows up enough to understand what it identifies with? Nope. We use the pronoun representing what the baby is biologically. If you have a baby boy and your son takes his first steps you don't go around and tell people "It just took its first step today!" You say, "He just took his first step today!"
he, she , him, her, guy, girl are all social concepts. Male and Female, which is a person sex, are biological.
I just gave examples that disproved that assertion. Concrete examples in which pronouns are based off of a person's biology rather than identity. If not then please prove that we use he / she when referring to newborn babies because they identify with that gender and not because that is what they are biologically.

Just to clarify, I am not saying that there isn't a masculine or feminine culture. I am saying that that culture doesn't have anything to do with pronoun usage. If you have a penis you are "he", if you don't you are "she" any other usage of these terms is incorrect.
There is a HUGE difference and when discussing these things, I think it is important to understand the difference between social acceptance and biological delusion.
I'll be honest...I really don't follow your response at all. I have no clue what point you were trying to make. You are going to have to speak more specifically or dumb it down for me.

I think it is a combo of both... Many still refer to LGBT with very nasty and degrading labels... Just as the "N" word was widely used for Blacks by the haters during and before the civil rights movement. So language does have an effect. But I do agree it needs to be much more than just language to make a difference.
My argument is that language is a reflection / expression of a person's feelings. Changing what language they use isn't going to change how they feel. Taking the "n" word, that used to be a commonplace word for referring to blacks, not a derogatory term. However, feelings back then were very racially charged against the black community. So, people imagined that if they changed what they called them it would change the feelings towards them. This has proved to be false. The feelings remain, they have just altered the language they use. The "n" word is now a derogatory term...for one group of people, but seemingly commonplace by another group. Again, language doesn't mean much...fight the right battle not the misguided one.

I'll be honest...I really don't follow your response at all. I have no clue what point you were trying to make. You are going to have to speak more specifically or dumb it down for me.
I know because you didn't even know you were proving my point. lol
The subject is very confusing.
My cousin is now a "he"(still female). After his surgery, I did ALOT of research trying to figure it all out. I was so confused.. I have read a lot of things on this, so my insight is basically infinite lol.
I think the difference between sex and gender are important because someone can give a middle finger to society and play whatever social role they want. However, you cant deny biology..

Many commit suicide because they have other forms of mental illness. Changing sex doesn't deal with those other forms. Some feel like there is something wrong with them. They fixate on gender reassignment thinking that will fix them. It doesn't. That was their last hope.

My argument is that language is a reflection / expression of a person's feelings. Changing what language they use isn't going to change how they feel. Taking the "n" word, that used to be a commonplace word for referring to blacks, not a derogatory term. However, feelings back then were very racially charged against the black community. So, people imagined that if they changed what they called them it would change the feelings towards them. This has proved to be false. The feelings remain, they have just altered the language they use. The "n" word is now a derogatory term...for one group of people, but seemingly commonplace by another group. Again, language doesn't mean much...fight the right battle not the misguided one.
I understand your point... It reminds me of the "Islamic Extremist" argument where the "Right" loved the fact the the "Left" refused to say those words and they exploited the shit out of it. It amused me that they were so angered by the fact that the Administration decided to not use language that offended Muslims. I understand that the facts do support the phrase... the terrorist follow an extreme sect of the Islam religion, but WE decide what to call and label it. We don't call the KKK Christian Extremists because that would be offensive to Christians so why can't we call the terrorist something more specific like Extreme Jihadists, so we aren't offending the 100's of millions that identify themselves with Islam?

Apologies for the tangent but it goes to my point that language is important and plays a factor. In this case, creating a more inclusive environment is very tricky as it can't simply be done with laws, it has to be done with education and exposure. Changing the language, is a step towards increasing awareness, changing an old way of thinking, and redefining a group in a way to cultivate a more accepting environment.

Many commit suicide because they have other forms of mental illness. Changing sex doesn't deal with those other forms. Some feel like there is something wrong with them. They fixate on gender reassignment thinking that will fix them. It doesn't. That was their last hope.
There she goes again, just making shit up... Why do you feel compelled to contribute to conversations about subjects that you know NOTHING about? You think LGBT people suffer from a mental illness. That disqualifies you from making any credible argument... Just turn off the computer and go watch Golden Girls or something...

I'd heard of the David Reimer matter, but never before realized just how heinous and depraved the treatment of him was. I know that awareness of the sexual abuse of children came to the fore much later than the incidents for which Dr. Money was responsible, but even in the 1960s, how did he not end up going to prison, for what, even then, had to have been clearly recognizable as sexual abuse of David Reimer and his brother, and the production of child pornography?
That guy was fuckin twisted.
David ended up killing himself, too...
Its fuckin sad so many people supported money.. They translated his work into many languages and he won all kinds of awards and shit. Its crazy man!

David and his twin brother, Brian, both ended up killing themselves. As far as the article goes, there was nothing physiologically wrong with Brian, but Dr. Money apparently sexually abused both of them together, and forced them to perform for child pornography; and in the end, that's where it all led.

What I had previously known of the story was not very much—just that David had had his penis badly damaged in a botched circumcision, and that some doctor suggested raising him as a girl. Until now, I took it as honest ignorance, that the doctor involved sincerely thought that a baby boy, with badly-damaged genitalia, might have a better outcome if he was “made into a girl” and raised that way. I didn't know until today about the much darker, sicker aspects of this whole story.

I'd heard of the David Reimer matter, but never before realized just how heinous and depraved the treatment of him was. I know that awareness of the sexual abuse of children came to the fore much later than the incidents for which Dr. Money was responsible, but even in the 1960s, how did he not end up going to prison, for what, even then, had to have been clearly recognizable as sexual abuse of David Reimer and his brother, and the production of child pornography?
That guy was fuckin twisted.
David ended up killing himself, too...
Its fuckin sad so many people supported money.. They translated his work into many languages and he won all kinds of awards and shit. Its crazy man!

David and his twin brother, Brian, both ended up killing themselves. As far as the article goes, there was nothing physiologically wrong with Brian, but Dr. Money apparently sexually abused both of them together, and forced them to perform for child pornography; and in the end, that's where it all led.

What I had previously known of the story was not very much—just that David had had his penis badly damaged in a botched circumcision, and that some doctor suggested raising him as a girl. Until now, I took it as honest ignorance, that the doctor involved sincerely thought that a baby boy, with badly-damaged genitalia, might have a better outcome if he was “made into a girl” and raised that way. I didn't know until today about the much darker, sicker aspects of this whole story.
I didn't know the brother killed himself too!

When I was young, I read the book "1984" and I thought then that it was bullshit, that people would never deny reality. I was wrong, The book was simply 30 years too early.

Mark
Did the same thing. Took a literature course on sci-fi way back in the day. We all would talk about the books afterwards and say "yeah, but no way would any of this come even remotely true. Tell you the truth, it has panned out far worse than any of us would've ever imagined then. Men creating laws that insist other people refer to men as women and women as men...Men marrying men. Men using women's bathrooms.

If you went back in time and showed people just in the 1970s what the world has come to today, they would've all dropped dead of shock on the spot.
What makes today's world so much worse than you could ever imagine? Trannys and gay marriage, how does that make a difference in your world? If image a gay person In The 70s would far a sigh of relief seeing the progress which is now being realized.

Denying reality is not progress. It is the central tenet of the book 1984. It is totalitarianism, and sadly, most people are falling for it.

Mark
Our world and function of government is nothing like 1984, that is a horrible comparison...

The journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.

Mark

Noun

1. 1.

Read and learn.

Brain development: Is the difference between boys and girls all in their heads? | BabyCenter

Mark

They kill themselves because they have mental problems. You are not helping them by letting them believe what they want. Bulimics "believe" they are fat, should our help be to support them in their efforts to lose weight?

Mark

I recently watched a clip of a "non-binary transgender" person coming out to Obama during a press conference and found myself confused (no...not in that way). This really seemed to be looked favorably upon in that setting which I found mystifying. Now, I am a moderate liberal and I'm not against people trying to find out who they are or define themselves. But I've always seen gender as a biological issue...not a cultural issue, not an emotional issue, not any other than what biology you are equipped with. Why, now, are we now taking something that we previously defined biologically (do you have a penis or not), and trying to interpret that through how somebody feels, what they identify (or in this case do not identify) with, or what culture the person happens to be in?

Am I the only crazy person here that thinks that males have penises, females don't and it is as simple as that (except maybe the rare people born with both)? Why have we started asking how people feel to define their gender? I don't understand why it isn't okay for a male (or female) to identify with the opposite gender...but still be a male or female? I mean I really feel as if America nowadays has entered some sort of weird Twilight Zone type of place where fantastical, absurd things are becoming reality.

Just a small rant on what I see as the absurdity of the far left. The video of this person "coming out" to Obama is linked below.

I think people have started asking because obviously the world is not as binary as some would want it to be. Its complex and everchanging with too many variables and dynamics to ever give you comfortable footing due to your brainwashing. For example gender has nothing to do with your plumbing. Its what a person feels.

I understand your point... It reminds me of the "Islamic Extremist" argument where the "Right" loved the fact the the "Left" refused to say those words and they exploited the shit out of it. It amused me that they were so angered by the fact that the Administration decided to not use language that offended Muslims. I understand that the facts do support the phrase... the terrorist follow an extreme sect of the Islam religion, but WE decide what to call and label it. We don't call the KKK Christian Extremists because that would be offensive to Christians so why can't we call the terrorist something more specific like Extreme Jihadists, so we aren't offending the 100's of millions that identify themselves with Islam?

Apologies for the tangent but it goes to my point that language is important and plays a factor. In this case, creating a more inclusive environment is very tricky as it can't simply be done with laws, it has to be done with education and exposure. Changing the language, is a step towards increasing awareness, changing an old way of thinking, and redefining a group in a way to cultivate a more accepting environment.

If the KKk used Christianity to kill blacks, you'd have a point. when one says Jesus Christ" as he cuts off a black persons head, let me know.

Mark

I recently watched a clip of a "non-binary transgender" person coming out to Obama during a press conference and found myself confused (no...not in that way). This really seemed to be looked favorably upon in that setting which I found mystifying. Now, I am a moderate liberal and I'm not against people trying to find out who they are or define themselves. But I've always seen gender as a biological issue...not a cultural issue, not an emotional issue, not any other than what biology you are equipped with. Why, now, are we now taking something that we previously defined biologically (do you have a penis or not), and trying to interpret that through how somebody feels, what they identify (or in this case do not identify) with, or what culture the person happens to be in?

Am I the only crazy person here that thinks that males have penises, females don't and it is as simple as that (except maybe the rare people born with both)? Why have we started asking how people feel to define their gender? I don't understand why it isn't okay for a male (or female) to identify with the opposite gender...but still be a male or female? I mean I really feel as if America nowadays has entered some sort of weird Twilight Zone type of place where fantastical, absurd things are becoming reality.

Just a small rant on what I see as the absurdity of the far left. The video of this person "coming out" to Obama is linked below.

I think people have started asking because obviously the world is not as binary as some would want it to be. Its complex and everchanging with too many variables and dynamics to ever give you comfortable footing due to your brainwashing. For example gender has nothing to do with your plumbing. Its what a person feels.

So, if a transabled person believes they are better off without an arm, should we amputate? Or the bulimic believes they are fat, do we encourage them to diet?

Mark

There she goes again, just making shit up... Why do you feel compelled to contribute to conversations about subjects that you know NOTHING about? You think LGBT people suffer from a mental illness. That disqualifies you from making any credible argument... Just turn off the computer and go watch Golden Girls or something...

If a segment of the population kills themselves at 20 times the normal rate, would you believe there is something wrong with them?

Mark

So, if a transabled person believes they are better off without an arm, should we amputate? Or the bulimic believes they are fat, do we encourage them to diet?

Mark

What does that have to do with the OP?

Forum List

Back