Toyota may offer you an Ammonia powered automobile

I am frustrated by such questions. Sorry I mean Ammonia.

Yes, ammonia is easy to make.
It takes lots of energy to do it. The cheapest, easiest method produces lots of CO2.
So what problem is solved by using lots of energy to make a corrosive, hazardous
fuel like ammonia?

Yes, ammonia is easy to make.
It takes lots of energy to do it. The cheapest, easiest method produces lots of CO2.
So what problem is solved by using lots of energy to make a corrosive, hazardous
fuel like ammonia?

No it's not ... ever try to grow a plant? ... if ammonia was easy, fertilizer would be free ...

Burning Coal -> makes electricity -> makes ammonia -> burns great ... same problem as ethanol ... the energy comes from fossil fuels, ammonia or ethanol is just the transport mechanism ...

We're splitting atmospheric nitrogen N2 apart and adding hydrogen to NH3 ... the hydrogen comes from methane CH4 ... using even more fossil fuels ... who's side are you on? ...

No it's not ... ever try to grow a plant? ... if ammonia was easy, fertilizer would be free ...

Burning Coal -> makes electricity -> makes ammonia -> burns great ... same problem as ethanol ... the energy comes from fossil fuels, ammonia or ethanol is just the transport mechanism ...

We're splitting atmospheric nitrogen N2 apart and adding hydrogen to NH3 ... the hydrogen comes from methane CH4 ... using even more fossil fuels ... who's side are you on? ...
Coal is the most energy rich substance we have in abundance. It represents hundreds of millions of hours of.....SOLAR ENERGY.......which is ultimately how or is created.

No, it IS easy. Just really expensive.

Ammonia is nitrogen and hydrogen

And neither one makes greenie knees jerk

4NH3 + 3O2 --> 2N2 + 6H2O plus lots of energy ...

That's NOT what Toyota's doing, but the basic reaction produces atmospheric gases ... and water vapor is a nasty pollutant, it condenses and gets into everything causing rot and decay then it's flowing out from under your house everytime it rains ... which is all day every day ...

It's easy, we've been doing it since the early 1900s.
If you use enough natural gas, enough energy, release enough CO2, easy peasy.
I never said it was cheap.

Ammonia actually can be used as a fuel. Toyota is working on it. The EV auto industry is slow. And you might not want to pay extreme prices for EV cars.

To learn about this, watch this video.

I did some reading on ammonia as a fuel. It is possible but it requires a highly pressurized storage tank. That seems extremely dangerous to implement in passenger vehicles.

I did some reading on ammonia as a fuel. It is possible but it requires a highly pressurized storage tank. That seems extremely dangerous to implement in passenger vehicles.
The article I posted alleges ammonia fuel is not high pressure. I would love to read your source. Ammonia in fact is a low grade fuel in that it is more difficult to burn than ordinary fuels are.

Forum List

Back