Touching Photo: Ferguson Protest (I love this!)

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
1129-devonte-hart-hug.jpg_standard_600x400.jpg

Encounter at protest leads to hug for boy officer - Houston Chronicle

Photo By Johnny Nguyen/AP
In this Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014 photo provided by Johnny Nguyen, Portland police Sgt. Bret Barnum, left, and Devonte Hart, 12, hug at a rally in Portland, Ore., where people had gathered in support of the protests in Ferguson, Mo.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An African-American boy holding a "Free Hugs" sign stood crying in front of a police barricade at a Ferguson rally in Portland. A white police officer motioned for him to come closer. The officer then asked the boy for a hug — and they embraced, the boy's anguished face streaming with tears.

A photographer captured the encounter earlier this week, and the photo has become popular on social media. It's an unusual image as people around the country protest a grand jury's decision to not indict a white police officer in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Missouri.

In Portland, both the boy and the officer — 12-year-old Devonte Hart and Portland Police Sgt. Bret Barnum — took unusual steps when they met on Tuesday.

The boy's mother Jennifer Hart, who is white, wrote on social media that her son had been struggling with issues of police brutality and racism.

Devonte is one of six children adopted by Hart and her wife, Sarah Hart of West Linn, a suburb of Portland.

A day after the decision on officer Darren Wilson in the shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, the Harts went downtown "with the intention of spreading love and kindness" by holding signs such as "You Matter" and "Free Hugs," Jennifer Hart said. The family then joined the nearby Ferguson rally.

Barnum, who works for the traffic division, had been dispatched to a downtown intersection to help with traffic and crowd control. In the middle of the block, hundreds of protesters listened to speeches about the relationship between police and black residents.

Earlier that week, when an officer posted on Facebook a badge of the Portland Police Bureau with an "I am Darren Wilson" banner, Barnum had "liked" the post. The officers were later ordered to remove the images and the matter is under an internal investigation.

Barnum said he "liked" the image out of solidarity for the police profession, not because he supports Wilson.

A couple days later, Devonte Hart stood on the outskirts of the Portland rally, about 10 feet away from Barnum. He was trembling, his mom said. Tears were rolling down his cheeks.

"Devonte was struggling. He wouldn't speak. He was inconsolable," his mother wrote. "My son has a heart of gold, compassion beyond anything I've ever experienced, yet struggles with living fearlessly when it comes to the police... He wonders if someday when he no longer wears a 'Free Hugs' sign around his neck, when he's a full-grown black male, if his life will be in danger for simply being."

Barnum told The AP he noticed the boy and wondered what was wrong. So he motioned for him to come up to his motorcycle.

The officer asked for his name and shook his hand. He also asked Devonte where he went to school (he is homeschooled), what he did this summer (he traveled around the U.S. with his family), and what he likes to do (art). The tears stopped.

Barnum has two teenage sons and has worked for Portland's police force for 21 years. While continuing to talk to Devonte, he looked at the "Free Hugs" sign on the ground and asked if he might get a hug as well.

Devonte put his arms around the officer.

"Knowing how he struggled with police, his bravery and courage to catch my eye and approach me were impressive," Barnum said. "And it's a blessing for me that I didn't miss an opportunity to impact this child."

Hart said the moment was about "listening to each other, facing fears with an open heart."

Last edited:
I didn't read your entire post but yes, that is a great photo. Thanks for posting it.

Reading this board, its hard to remember that most people are for equality and fairness, not to mention constitutionally guaranteed rights for all Americans.

I just read an article that what has happened in Ferguson will lead to a renewal of the Civil Rights Movement.

Let's hope that's true.

I didn't read your entire post but yes, that is a great photo. Thanks for posting it.

Reading this board, its hard to remember that most people are for equality and fairness, not to mention constitutionally guaranteed rights for all Americans.

I just read an article that what has happened in Ferguson will lead to a renewal of the Civil Rights Movement.

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite
This board reminds me there is an anger/venting phase, and denial and projection,
that has to be navigated through to get to the other side. There are no shortcuts around it.
I'm just thankful we have free speech to take out this phase using words as weapons and not real
physical violence or threats as is happening in Ferguson with people going through that phase.

This too shall pass.

I foresaw part two of the Civil Disobedience coming out as Civil Obedience
where people agree with govt how to enforce laws peacefully together, starting locally with police.
this is already happening, where groups are meeting and agreeing on procedures to follow.

We need civics education and proper law enforcement training
for everyone, especially citizens who want licenses for guns.
why not require the same screening oath and training for citizens
as we would for police and military officers? that way, we can screen out mentally unstable
people, like the Ft. Hood shooter and others who could have been diagnosed in advance as dangerous.

Police and citizens are finding we need to work together.
Just have to go through their own process of coming to peace with all the past injustices
that have prevented that level of trust and rebuilding good working relations!

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.

Let's hope that's true.

Yes we all hope so ...... but unfortunately hateful racist bigots like you will continue to fan the flames in an attempt to further divide race relations with derogatory racist comments and edited security cam videos among other lies.

I have since EDUCATED MYSELF and watched the full video (that the prosecutor kept from the public) I learned that Brown actually paid for the cigarillos.I posted the video and of course, if you want to EDUCATE YOURSELF, its available at You Tube.

Alternatively, you could keep telling the same lies over and over so you can pat yourself on the back for being an ignorant, inbred, trailer trash, cracker racist.

Hateful racist bigots like you will always be the problem.

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite
This board reminds me there is an anger/venting phase, and denial and projection,
that has to be navigated through to get to the other side. There are no shortcuts around it.
I'm just thankful we have free speech to take out this phase using words as weapons and not real
physical violence or threats as is happening in Ferguson with people going through that phase.

This too shall pass.

where people agree with govt how to enforce laws peacefully together, starting locally with police.
this is already happening, where groups are meeting and agreeing on procedures to follow.

as we would for police and military officers? that way, we can screen out mentally unstable
people, like the Ft. Hood shooter and others who could have been diagnosed in advance as dangerous.

Just have to go through their own process of coming to peace with all the past injustices

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.

I would like to believe it will pass and that all we need is to educate people but if that were true, we would not still have the horrendous racism and ignorance we do.

Yes, we are better people than what happened in Ferguson and those images prove it. Beneath our skins we share our common humanity. A little empathy and compassion go a long way.

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite

This too shall pass.

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.

I would like to believe it will pass and that all we need is to educate people but if that were true, we would not still have the horrendous racism and ignorance we do.

Without forgiveness, the words aren't heard and education is just propaganda.
If the barriers aren't let down first, kind words just bounce off, as you can see by posts here,
still trying to taunt you or others to say rude things instead.

I was thinking, after reading that Rachel's Challenge transformed a whole community and healed a nasty rivalry between two schools that got out of hand ()
what if we asked our leaders to take Rachel's Challenge Rachel s Challenge

How can we teach kids not to bully, if the politicians get on TV and slam each other for points?
I'd like to see each city that suffered Ferguson protests to ask their organizing leaders to meet and present Rachel's Challenge to the whole community. And see if we can't spread that little boy's hugs, and dreams, to share with more people nationwide. Bless his heart, his face makes me cry...

Yes, we are better people than what happened in Ferguson and those images prove it. Beneath our skins we share our common humanity. A little empathy and compassion go a long way.
99.9% of America did not riot over due process of law.

I didn't riot either but that doesn't mean that I am not appalled about the travesty of "justice" that was perpetrated by the Ferguson prosecutor. I am not alone either.

I didn't riot either but that doesn't mean that I am not appalled about the travesty of "justice" that was perpetrated by the Ferguson prosecutor. I am not alone either.
Well, write Obama and Holder and demand a show trial.

In the meantime, I respect the jury system, about the only part of the system I do trust.

In the meantime, I respect the jury system, about the only part of the system I do trust.

Except that it wasn't a genuine jury trial. There was no judge, no opposing counsel, no presentation of an alternative explanation of the evidence, no cross examination.

So what you "trust" was the farcical "show trial"!

Except that it wasn't a genuine jury trial. There was no judge, no opposing counsel, no presentation of an alternative explanation of the evidence, no cross examination.

It was a grand jury, part of due process of law.

If you do not understand the purpose of the grand jury, and do not think a grand jury is a "genuine" jury, you should take Civics I, and STFU in the meantime.

It was a grand jury, part of due process of law.

If you do not understand the purpose of the grand jury, and do not think a grand jury is a "genuine" jury, you should take Civics I, and STFU in the meantime.

The Ferguson prosecutor corrupted the GJ for his own nefarious political purposes. This is what a GJ is supposed to do according the Justice Scalia.

Justice Antonin Scalia, in the 1992 Supreme Court case of United States v. Williams, explained what the role of a grand jury has been for hundreds of years.

It is the grand jury’s function not ‘to enquire … upon what foundation [the charge may be] denied,’ or otherwise to try the suspect’s defenses, but only to examine ‘upon what foundation [the charge] is made’ by the prosecutor. Respublica v. Shaffer, 1 Dall. 236 (O. T. Phila. 1788); see also F. Wharton, Criminal Pleading and Practice § 360, pp. 248-249 (8th ed. 1880). As a consequence, neither in this country nor in England has the suspect under investigation by the grand jury ever been thought to have a right to testify or to have exculpatory evidence presented.

The Ferguson prosecutor violated 200+ years of jurisprudence.

Oh, and tell Scalia to STFU if you don't believe him.

Forum List

Back