Top Sniper Rifles

Most people think of the Barrett 50 when they think of mile long shots. And that rifle WILL make the shots. But it is an extremely specialized piece of equipment. And the 50 cal cartridge was actually designed to take out equipment and vehicles, not individuals. The rifle weighs 30+ pounds empty, and it is almost 5 feet long. And even that rifle is rated with an effective range of 1,800 meters.

Actually the Barrett is not capable of hitting at person at over one kilometer regularly. It's not accurate enough. And, hitting a person at that range also requires luck and the target not moving between shots. The CEP (circular error probability) of the projectile at those ranges is great enough that the majority of the shots will miss. The accuracy of a goo .50 cal is 1/2 MOA (minute of angle) that means the group size at one thousand yards is 5 inches. Ten inches at two thousand yards etc. If the target is laying down the projectile has a narrow angle where it can hit. All of that makes those types of shots exceedingly difficult.

one thing is certain though

if you hit them with a 50 cal

it really fucks them up

i traded a kaiser jeep for one

fantastic arm

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

This is my .50 cal....
amac5100.jpg
I've connected on a military E target at 2800 meters. Took 8 tries before the hit though.

Calling soldiers who specialize in 2,000+ meter shots a "sniper" is really a misnomer.

In reality, they are technology based "marksmen" who excel in only one area of the snipers craft. ...... :cool:

Modern warfare requires modern soldiers. It is the technology which distinguishes a modern soldier. Even the drone pilots are soldiers because their base could get hit.

But to limit sniper rifles only to those capable of accurate shots in excess of 1 mile is not an advantage, imho.

In a war you need all kinds of weapons to give you an edge. That is not being disputed here. In an urban warfare, technically speaking, you can hide in an alley and possibly take out a target with a 9mm Glock. According to dictionary, that would be sniping. There is no hard fast rule in a war. You have to do what you have to do. But, you also have to categorize weapons too - especially if they require special training. In order to categorize a weapon, you have to assign specific attributes to it that will define qualifying criteria on that weapon. Once you look at a sniper rifle within this context then it is not hard to understand why range becomes an important defining characteristics.

Indeed, it needs to have a good range. But over a mile?

If you look at a list of the longest distance confirmed kills for snipers, at #8 is CPO Chris Kyle for a 1,920 meter shot. So 7 snipers have recorded kills at 2,000 meters or more. At #14 on that list is a SSgt that made a 1,250 meter shot with a bolt action in 7.62x51mm (.308NATO). So, while a 2,000 meter shot may happen every once in a while, they are still rare. If a rifle will handle it's work at 1,000 meters it should suffice for all but the most extreme situations and in the hands of only the finest.

Longest recorded sniper kills - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I think we are mixing two different aspects.

I personally think in order for a rile to qualify as a sniper rifle, it has to have an effective range of 2000 meters. That does not mean that taking out a target at a distance of 900 meters is a cake walk. That was the range at which Carlos Hathcock took out most of his targets. But he also recorded hit(s) well over 2000 meters.

May be we can have two sniper categories: one for very elite group that can take out targets at over 2000 meters and another for those who can take out targets at over 1000 meters.

From my personal experience, anything in the range of 500 meters is quite challenging to shoot at but I do not think it deserves any special designation such as sniper. However once you start to approach that 1000-meter range, you find yourself in that designation.

Calling soldiers who specialize in 2,000+ meter shots a "sniper" is really a misnomer.

In reality, they are technology based "marksmen" who excel in only one area of the snipers craft. ...... :cool:

Modern warfare requires modern soldiers. It is the technology which distinguishes a modern soldier. Even the drone pilots are soldiers because their base could get hit.

But to limit sniper rifles only to those capable of accurate shots in excess of 1 mile is not an advantage, imho.

In a war you need all kinds of weapons to give you an edge. That is not being disputed here. In an urban warfare, technically speaking, you can hide in an alley and possibly take out a target with a 9mm Glock. According to dictionary, that would be sniping. There is no hard fast rule in a war. You have to do what you have to do. But, you also have to categorize weapons too - especially if they require special training. In order to categorize a weapon, you have to assign specific attributes to it that will define qualifying criteria on that weapon. Once you look at a sniper rifle within this context then it is not hard to understand why range becomes an important defining characteristics.

If you look at a list of the longest distance confirmed kills for snipers, at #8 is CPO Chris Kyle for a 1,920 meter shot. So 7 snipers have recorded kills at 2,000 meters or more. At #14 on that list is a SSgt that made a 1,250 meter shot with a bolt action in 7.62x51mm (.308NATO). So, while a 2,000 meter shot may happen every once in a while, they are still rare. If a rifle will handle it's work at 1,000 meters it should suffice for all but the most extreme situations and in the hands of only the finest.

I personally think in order for a rile to qualify as a sniper rifle, it has to have an effective range of 2000 meters. That does not mean that taking out a target at a distance of 900 meters is a cake walk. That was the range at which Carlos Hathcock took out most of his targets. But he also recorded hit(s) well over 2000 meters.

May be we can have two sniper categories: one for very elite group that can take out targets at over 2000 meters and another for those who can take out targets at over 1000 meters.

From my personal experience, anything in the range of 500 meters is quite challenging to shoot at but I do not think it deserves any special designation such as sniper. However once you start to approach that 1000-meter range, you find yourself in that designation.

500 meters, in a high wind, through a small aperture.... You betcha that qualifies as a sniper. There are many shots that were taken under 500 meters that were far more difficult than a 1,000 meter shot. Distance isn't the only criteria my friend.

This is my .50 cal....
amac5100.jpg
I've connected on a military E target at 2800 meters. Took 8 tries before the hit though.

good shooting

once i hit a 3 ft by 3 ft steel plate

with my 45 cal cva at 1500 yards

--LOL

the ball might have bounced once before the hit though

--LOL

This is my .50 cal....
amac5100.jpg

good shooting

once i hit a 3 ft by 3 ft steel plate

with my 45 cal cva at 1500 yards

--LOL

the ball might have bounced once before the hit though

--LOL

It only bounced once? :coffee:

I have a dear friend who is a retired navy seal commando - he was the 5th top sniper in the world. He told me he had been given an offer to buy a sniper rifle from a local where we live for $28,000.00 but he didn't buy it. I was amazed that they could cost that much! Who knew?
Your so called friend (if he even exists) is full of BS

He isn't a Navy Seal........although he may have seen a seal once at the local zoo. .... :lol:

No sniper rifle costs $28,000 unless it's gold plated. ..... :cuckoo:
That.

Oy, let's dispel some of this.
In Vietnam the average sniper range was about 100-200 meters. Hilly, densely wooded jungle doesnt make for long shots. It's not Afghanistan, where high ridges etc allow for that. Or Iraq, where flat desert does.
The average police sniper shot is about 50 yards or less. Many police sniper rifles are .223 caliber. The .223 is effective out to about300, maybe 500 yards. But it's fine for those applications.
Sniper rifles are defined typically by accuracy. It used to be 1 MOA was about the standard. In the 1960s even 2 MOA probably happened. Now with better materials etc the standard is sub MOA, usually 1/2MOA. A nd that's match grade ammo ideal conditions etc.
I dont recall the longest shot in Afghanistan. It was a Canadian team and I want to say something like 2600 meters, probably a Barrett 50cal but could have been 338 Lapua Magnum, which is the preferred long range round for Europeans and the US uses it a lot too.

I have a Steyr SSG-03 in 308. It is a fantastic rifle. Leupold varmint scope on top of it and since my range is limited to 200 yards it works great. Would love to try it out at 500 or so.

Range is limited by the operator. except in the most extreme cases. With a clean line of sight I can reach out and kill you at 400 yards with a scoped 9mm.

Range is limited by the operator. except in the most extreme cases. With a clean line of sight I can reach out and kill you at 400 yards with a scoped 9mm.

Of course. A .22 long rifle will travel a mile. But the key point is whether or not you can accurately use the .22 to kill someone that far away.

If they are in the military and a school Qualified Sniper they have all the skills. The washout rate for the Army basic sniper school is about 50%.

A Squad Designated Marksman is a different designation and usually just has expert shooting skills,

e
I have a dear friend who is a retired navy seal commando - he was the 5th top sniper in the world. He told me he had been given an offer to buy a sniper rifle from a local where we live for $28,000.00 but he didn't buy it. I was amazed that they could cost that much! Who knew? I am forever thankful for meeting him as he has been a great blessing to my husband and I. Much of what he shared about warfare strategies,etc with regards to his training were things I could apply to spiritual warfare - the similarities are remarkable! I learned a great deal from him.
A Remington 700 ADL from walmart, or Bass Pro, or any other big store selling these "in house specials" in any number of calibers, is more accurate than 90% of shooters.

Just ditch the junk scope and mounts, and install high quality scope and mounts.

My .223 shoots 1/2", if I use the Hornady 55 SP.

The rifles, even with scope, are usually under 400 dollars.

I have $2,500 in my Browning Safari's, one .30-06, one .300 Win mag.

Both shoot 1/2" from a rest too.

MKEK JNG 90 - BORA 12 ; World's number one sniper rifle in its class.

Manufactured by Turkiye.

Night and day shootout champion at sniper shooting competition held in Pakistan. 4 of 5 shots on target in 1000 meters (day) while other snipers cannot even shot one. 5 of 5 shots on target in 300 meters (night) again other snipers cannot even shot one, 5 of 5 shots on target 600 meters (night) while other snipers cannot even shot one.

lzl9AB.jpg

MKEK JNG 90 - BORA 12 ; World's number one sniper rifle in its class.

Manufactured by Turkiye.

Night and day shootout champion at sniper shooting competition held in Pakistan. 4 of 5 shots on target in 1000 meters (day) while other snipers cannot even shot one. 5 of 5 shots on target in 300 meters (night) again other snipers cannot even shot one, 5 of 5 shots on target 600 meters (night) while other snipers cannot even shot one.

lzl9AB.jpg

Simply put I do not believe the claims in this post.

A Marine Recon Sniper could take an old M1 Garand and hit 5 out of 5 targets at 300 yards at night. Big deal.

Forum List

Back