Top Gun 1986 & T.G. Maverick 2020

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
I recently watched an inside story of the '86 T.G. movie. Critics hated it. The smarmy guy with the fuzzy and hair and big mustache hated it, not because it was a bad movie, he (and other critics) hated it because it glorified the Military. Back in the mid 80's it wasn't cool to admire the Military so the critics panned the movie but fans loved it. It just goes to show how small minded these people can be. I'm not so sure about a sequel over 30 years later with the same characters. Cruise got old but fat old Val Kilmer is almost unrecognizable. Apparently they keep putting back the release. Maybe the smarmy critic will be right about the sequel.

I recently watched an inside story of the '86 T.G. movie. Critics hated it. The smarmy guy with the fuzzy and hair and big mustache hated it, not because it was a bad movie, he (and other critics) hated it because it glorified the Military. Back in the mid 80's it wasn't cool to admire the Military so the critics panned the movie but fans loved it. It just goes to show how small minded these people can be. I'm not so sure about a sequel over 30 years later with the same characters. Cruise got old but fat old Val Kilmer is almost unrecognizable. Apparently they keep putting back the release. Maybe the smarmy critic will be right about the sequel.
That just goes to show that you should never take what ONE person espouses as THEIR opinion OVER your OWN. Even some so called "expert." They can and do inject their own BIAS. Therefore, they're no more objective than the next joe shmoe.

So fuck these people. Their opinion about a movie or anything else isn't any more valid or important than your own.

Far as sequels go, I hope they're going to make another Harry Potter, whether J.K. Rowling writes it or not. Preferably she does, and is able to keep any SJW crap OUT of it.

Last edited:
That just goes to show that you should never take what ONE person espouses as THEIR opinion OVER your OWN. Even some so called "expert." They can and do inject their own BIAS. Therefore, they're no more objective than the next joe shmoe.

So fuck these people. Their opinion about a movie or anything else isn't any more valid or important than your own.

Far as sequels go, I hope they're going to make another Harry Potter, whether J.K. Rowling writes it or not. Preferably she does, and is able to keep any SJW crap OUT of it.
We aren't talking about "one person". Hatred for TG was endemic in the Hollywood culture even though "normal" movie goers loved it.

We aren't talking about "one person". Hatred for TG was endemic in the Hollywood culture even though "normal" movie goers loved it.
"The smarmy guy with the fuzzy and hair and big mustache"... looked to me like you were referencing one person in particular.

I stand by what I said about other people's opinions regardless, whether it's one person or a hundred.

I wasn't overly thrilled with Top Gun, but then I was in the Air Force for 8 years. Much of the movies portrayal of the military is pure hollywood fiction. But to the 99% of the public that never enlists in the military and has no idea what's real and what's fake, I'm sure they enjoyed it more than I did.

Forum List

Back