...Today's Gary Abernathy column in WaPo....

Chillicothe

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2021
First, a caveat: Look, I understand how some avatarees reject long posts. I get it. And, I understand management's lack of enthusiasm for 'em too. After all, there is only so much bandwidth. However, every now and then some offered insights take a little more text to convey. And so it is with Abernathy's column. It is a big long column, but I only pull out 3 or 4 paragraphs as 'tasters'.

My impression of Abernathy ....after watching him multiple time as a TV politics analyst.....was of a pretty right-leaning journalist and articulate defender of Don Trump, but reasoned and thoughtful. In short, he had serious things to say and said them with sincerity and the insight of experience, ( I offer a brief bio on Garly Abernathy at the bottom).

Here is a link to his whole column; however, if you do not subscribe to the Washington Post, there is likely a paywall.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/28/trump-supporter-disappointment/

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Despite much media criticism of his positions, Trump’s main issues were important. Finally tackling illegal immigration is a goal supported by most Americans, who welcome migrants but agree they should be vetted. Bolstering U.S. energy independence and reworking trade deals were reasonable goals. Defending the traditional beliefs of Middle America without belittling movements reflective of changing times was a balance Trump seemed poised to achieve. I envisioned Trump first trying to work with GOP leaders in Congress but, failing that, moving effortlessly across the aisle to partner with Democrats to achieve his goals."

"Both parties are so beholden to the extremes of their base that any hint of working with the other side risks fierce retribution. Don’t let President Barack Obama succeed. Don’t let Trump succeed. Don’t let President Biden succeed. It never ends. But instead of ignoring the pettiness and focusing on his agenda, Trump wallowed in self-pity. Instead of trying to expand his base, Trump chose to alienate even more Americans. And worst of all, when most Americans finally decided that Trump was never going to rise to the occasion and rejected him at the ballot box in 2020, he refused to accept the verdict, incited a riot at the Capitol and encouraged endless election challenges in state after state."

"I don’t regret giving Trump a chance. I regret that he squandered the golden opportunity he was handed to be a transformative president. Trump is likely on the verge of declaring another White House run, but the millions of Americans who believed in him deserve someone more effective in fighting for the issues he highlighted. Trump had his chance, and he blew it. He should move on, as should his supporters."

-------------------------------------------------------

BTW, for those curious as to who this columnist is, Gary Abernathy, well, here is a brief bio:

“Gary Abernathy, a contributing columnist for The Post, is a freelance writer based in the Cincinnati, Ohio, region. After spending 13 years as an editor at three Ohio newspapers from 1983 to 1996, Abernathy worked in Republican Party politics in Ohio and West Virginia, as well as for an Ohio congressman and two U.S. senators. He returned to journalism in 2011, serving until July 2018 as publisher and editor of the (Hillsboro, Ohio) Times-Gazette, one of the few newspapers to endorse Donald Trump for president in 2016.

What a white washing of Trump's four years. People do want immigration addressed BUT no one, not even Trump wanted to address the reasons they come. Jobs.

Trump was totally incapable of negotiating with leaders of countries like China. He ran away.

Trump demeaned others all the time. He had to, it was the only way to keep the Evangelicals on his side.

First, a caveat: Look, I understand how some avatarees reject long posts. I get it. And, I understand management's lack of enthusiasm for 'em too. After all, there is only so much bandwidth. However, every now and then some offered insights take a little more text to convey. And so it is with Abernathy's column. It is a big long column, but I only pull out 3 or 4 paragraphs as 'tasters'.

My impression of Abernathy ....after watching him multiple time as a TV politics analyst.....was of a pretty right-leaning journalist and articulate defender of Don Trump, but reasoned and thoughtful. In short, he had serious things to say and said them with sincerity and the insight of experience, ( I offer a brief bio on Garly Abernathy at the bottom).

Here is a link to his whole column; however, if you do not subscribe to the Washington Post, there is likely a paywall.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/28/trump-supporter-disappointment/

"Despite much media criticism of his positions, Trump’s main issues were important. Finally tackling illegal immigration is a goal supported by most Americans, who welcome migrants but agree they should be vetted. Bolstering U.S. energy independence and reworking trade deals were reasonable goals. Defending the traditional beliefs of Middle America without belittling movements reflective of changing times was a balance Trump seemed poised to achieve. I envisioned Trump first trying to work with GOP leaders in Congress but, failing that, moving effortlessly across the aisle to partner with Democrats to achieve his goals."

"Both parties are so beholden to the extremes of their base that any hint of working with the other side risks fierce retribution. Don’t let President Barack Obama succeed. Don’t let Trump succeed. Don’t let President Biden succeed. It never ends. But instead of ignoring the pettiness and focusing on his agenda, Trump wallowed in self-pity. Instead of trying to expand his base, Trump chose to alienate even more Americans. And worst of all, when most Americans finally decided that Trump was never going to rise to the occasion and rejected him at the ballot box in 2020, he refused to accept the verdict, incited a riot at the Capitol and encouraged endless election challenges in state after state."

"I don’t regret giving Trump a chance. I regret that he squandered the golden opportunity he was handed to be a transformative president. Trump is likely on the verge of declaring another White House run, but the millions of Americans who believed in him deserve someone more effective in fighting for the issues he highlighted. Trump had his chance, and he blew it. He should move on, as should his supporters."

BTW, for those curious as to who this columnist is, Gary Abernathy, well, here is a brief bio:

“Gary Abernathy, a contributing columnist for The Post, is a freelance writer based in the Cincinnati, Ohio, region. After spending 13 years as an editor at three Ohio newspapers from 1983 to 1996, Abernathy worked in Republican Party politics in Ohio and West Virginia, as well as for an Ohio congressman and two U.S. senators. He returned to journalism in 2011, serving until July 2018 as publisher and editor of the (Hillsboro, Ohio) Times-Gazette, one of the few newspapers to endorse Donald Trump for president in 2016.
This country's need for people on each end who are willing to call out both ends of the political spectrum has never been more acute. Or desperate, for that matter.

I certainly don't know for sure, but my guess is that it's still too early for these people to have a positive effect. The momentum of the decay is still too strong.

Hopefully we'll find a bottom before it's too late. Here's hoping.

Trump screwed up his so-called "golden opportunity" because he did what every authoritarian leader feels is his first priority, consolidate their power and purge anyone that might tell him no. Any future far right president will do exactly the same thing. On illegal immigration specifically he messed up by thinking there are simple partisan solutions to the most complicated issue we face as a nation.

Finally tackling illegal immigration is a goal supported by most Americans, who welcome migrants but agree they should be vetted.
But tackling immigration isn't what Trump did. This is what that looks like.
What Trump did was advocate for the most simplistic, ineffectual, and bigoted approach. Like building a wall (that he claimed Mexico would pay for). Essentially, he tapped in to the xenophobic impulses of The Following to garner support. What he didn't do was promote comprehensive, effective reform.

What a surprise that Trumpleton's don't want to discuss another Repub, a staunch defender of Don, coming to the realization he was an unworthy ass clown.

Sounds like another hit piece by a RINO claiming to be a Repub.
DT was a transformative president that showed us we can reject business as usual in DC & actually work to make things better for all Americans.
He accomplished quite a bit for someone that was being sabotaged by the entire swamp & the DC UNiparty trying to protect their lucrative status quo that sees nobody politicians go to Washington & emerge a few years later as multi millionaires on a govt salary.
He called out & engaged the hypocrisy of these corrupted politicians & their MSM minions.
He lifted minorities, women & working class people financially until the plandemic crashed the economy.

DT had his faults but they were minor compared to what we usually get from the establishment parties of corruption, graft, blackmail & empty promises.
DT may not come back but the America First movement that he represented isn't going anywhere & we will be seeking kindred spirits to represent us.
He showed us DC is a wasteland of RINOs, disgusting pervs & corruption.

But tackling immigration isn't what Trump did. This is what that looks like.
What Trump did was advocate for the most simplistic, ineffectual, and bigoted approach. Like building a wall (that he claimed Mexico would pay for). Essentially, he tapped in to the xenophobic impulses of The Following to garner support. What he didn't do was promote comprehensive, effective reform.
The bill was voted out of Committee on May 21, 2013 and was placed on the Senate calendar.[4] On June 27, 2013, the Senate passed the bill on 68-32 margin. The bill was not considered by United States House of Representatives and died in the 113th Congress.

The HoR was of course run by the GOP

Forum List

Back