To Declaw or not declaw

So you read more into it than was meant by it, based on your own emotional response. Thank you, apology accepted.

I honestly don't care if people declaw their cats. I, personally, think it's silly and unnecessary...if your furniture is so valuable that you can't bear the thought of kitties clawing it, perhaps a different pet is in order. But that's just me. Declaw them all. Bob their tails, crop their ears....give them tattoos and colored contacts if that's your thing, I don't care.

But don't waste your breath trying to convince me it isn't mutiliation. Of course it's mutiliation. You can justify it, and I don't care if you do, I trust you take care of them and the trauma is fairly minimal (provided they don't get infections). I just don't like it when people try to pull the wool over my eyes.

You are of course welcome to your opinion and it is respected. I however reserve the same right. And, all this pro and con stuff was discussed with the chopper upper aka vet in question. so thanks but no thanks.

Oh, great, all the pros and cons were discussed with the person who makes money doing the procedure. Good thinking.

My cats not only have their claws, but they have a setup that enables them to experience the outdoors in a safe way. They get to climb up the trunks of trees (to a point), smell the flowers, chase bugs, chew on grass and experience what it feels like to walk directly on the ground and feel the wind in their faces. Then they get to come in and sleep in their warm, safe beds and have plenty to eat and catnip and toys to play with.

I'd rather be my cat than your cat. They have it all...the longevity of indoor cats, the fun of getting to go outdoors, AND their claws.

Last edited:
that is the question.

Back in February, I got a new cat to replace my companion of 15 years.

I didn't declaw the old cat because he was sufficiently mellow to where that wasn't an issue.

this new cat, while affectionate, seems to like to use it's claws whenever possible- on the furniture, on me, etc.

I'm reluctant to declaw, but obviously, the damage the animal is doing is going to set me back quite a bit, and there is always the liability if she claws a guest.
Removing a cats claws is like removing your fingers. Cat's need their claws. They use them every day, not just to scratch your furniture. It helps them climb, jump, and play. Without their claws there're almost defenseless and they know it. And don't let anyone tell you removing their claws is painless. Imagine having all your fingernails cut out. A lot of vets will not do the operation. I have not seen any animal welfare groups recommend it.

We have had at least a dozen cats over many years. The best cats were the ones with claws. I think they were more confident and just more fun to own. If you can stand an occasional scratch, let your cat keep its claw the way nature intended.

Claws are not anything other than nails. To make this out like cats are losing all ability to live is so foolish.

Please. And I'm not a fan of the procedure. But I do consider it no different than being part and parcel of spaying and neutering.

And those that would decry others in the cat world who have adopted a cat that has been declawed or those that would declaw to give a cat a home are the type of rigid individuals who would see animals die than go into a home with children.

I've seen this crap in my life. The Toronto Humane Society people had the most bizarre rules for adoption. On the bright side all the bastards are getting prosecuted now for a variety of things, but these people while taking in millions of dollars in donations would rather execute a cat or a dog if you did not meet these insane rigid standards they put in place.

All for the "animal's welfare".

Do your nails have a blood supply and nerves imbedded in them?

I didn't think so.

Do you use your nails for traction and balance, and are they retractable to help with propulsion

Nope?

So they are not simple nails. I've seen anials quicked and get severe infections and pretty substantial bloodloss based on careless trimming and removal.

So you read more into it than was meant by it, based on your own emotional response. Thank you, apology accepted.

I honestly don't care if people declaw their cats. I, personally, think it's silly and unnecessary...if your furniture is so valuable that you can't bear the thought of kitties clawing it, perhaps a different pet is in order. But that's just me. Declaw them all. Bob their tails, crop their ears....give them tattoos and colored contacts if that's your thing, I don't care.

But don't waste your breath trying to convince me it isn't mutiliation. Of course it's mutiliation. You can justify it, and I don't care if you do, I trust you take care of them and the trauma is fairly minimal (provided they don't get infections). I just don't like it when people try to pull the wool over my eyes.

You are of course welcome to your opinion and it is respected. I however reserve the same right. And, all this pro and con stuff was discussed with the chopper upper aka vet in question. so thanks but no thanks.

Oh, great, all the pros and cons were discussed with the person who makes money doing the procedure. Good thinking.

My cats not only have their claws, but they have a setup that enables them to experience the outdoors in a safe way. They get to climb up the trunks of trees (to a point), smell the flowers, chase bugs, chew on grass and experience what it feels like to walk directly on the ground and feel the wind in their faces. Then they get to come in and sleep in their warm, safe beds and have plenty to eat and catnip and toys to play with.

I'd rather be my cat than your cat. They have it all...the longevity of indoor cats, the fun of getting to go outdoors, AND their claws.

I'd say stop being so judgemental. I've been owned by cats all my life.

Are you freaking getting it? I am not a cat owner. I am wonderously possessed by them. Man oh man I hate this snotiness.

What a rotten thing to say to another cat person. "I'd rather be my cat than your cat"? What type of bullshit is this?

From Smokey to Titfinder, Chingachkook to Baby Kitty aka Pussy Galore to Hershey to Pyewacket to Cola's Lil Nitro to Niakawa and Sonya, C80, C82, Sick Boy, Sarge all my rescues the one thing I have never done is attacked another "cat" person".

This is sick and bitchy.

EDIT TO ADD; and oh so catty

Last edited:
Do you really think that writing out a list of cat names gives you some kind of moral get-out-of-being-a-fucking-monster-free card?

Do you really think that writing out a list of cat names gives you some kind of moral get-out-of-being-a-fucking-monster-free card?

Oh I'll really make you shit your pants now.

My favorite color is realtree depending on the season. My fave on line mall is Cabela's. Bambi is to be savored in several different ways. I have an awesome cranberry side dish.

Oh and thumper to me is hasenpfeffer. And yes I fish too. With fucking bad ass hooks.

I rescue cats. But I am EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL.

:lol:

One ply for the planet or two ply?

You know writing all those names just made me feel good. These are the beasties who I have shared my life with. And I am one happy camper that they all came into my life and we lived so many different times in so many different ways.

You see I never judged them, they never judged me. We were family. So you can be judgemental pricks all you want, but I won't be. I loved my cats, no matter which way they've come at me. They were and still are my friends.

I hope someone finally gets it. I have never ever declawed a cat. I got one called Hershey who lived with me for years on end. Chocalate point. Ex wife for my husband no imagination with names.

All I've been trying to say in this thread, is don't condemn. Educate. But as soon as you start wailing on people that they are....

what was I called again "a monster"?

People go deaf when you do that shit. And a rescue cat could die today. Educate. Stop calling names.

I love Cabela's too

Am I evil now?

lol

Apparently. Hey I've been in battles to beat the band over Ashley Judd and her stupidity over Palin.

Stupid bitch didn't even know that the Governor of Alaska is obligated by law to control predators for the First Nations.

yay for you. moron.

He's the expert asshole.

I think the set up sounds incredibly cool.

I was looking at fencing a few weeks back and found this really interesting thing (just for interest sake, it appears you have your situation figured out)....it was a rolling bar that goes along the top of the fence that prevents animalsfrom being ableto pull themselves over. It even keeps birds from hanging out on the top of the fence...let me find it. I just thought it was neat. I think a cat would probably be able to figure it out, but who knows....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNM2NM8tJAw]Dog Safety Fence - YouTube[/ame]

I thought that was the coolest thing. It primarily geared to canines, I know, but still...

You see I never judged them, they never judged me. .

The difference being that you had a choice, and that they were not in a position to rip your fingernails out and then decide for you that it didn't bother you at all.

I think the set up sounds incredibly cool.

I was looking at fencing a few weeks back and found this really interesting thing (just for interest sake, it appears you have your situation figured out)....it was a rolling bar that goes along the top of the fence that prevents animalsfrom being ableto pull themselves over. It even keeps birds from hanging out on the top of the fence...let me find it. I just thought it was neat. I think a cat would probably be able to figure it out, but who knows....

Dog Safety Fence - YouTube

I thought that was the coolest thing. It primarily geared to canines, I know, but still...

Ah, I remember seeing those rollers when I was researching how to keep my cats inside the fence. I can't remember why I didn't choose to go that route. It probably would have been easier to install than what I did. I think I chose the netting because the materials were readily available locally. But those rolling bars are a pretty ingenious idea, and I believe they would work for cats as well as dogs.

When we first moved into our house, my husband framed the back deck and screened it in so the cats could go out there. Then we got a fence built and did the netting at the top. It was so cool the first time we let the cats out there. They were like, "Really? We can go out there???" Eventually they started running up the fence (chain link). But then they'd see that wobbly netting up above and come back down. Cats don't like to climb on things that are not solid, and they've never even gone so far as to grab on to that netting. They just come on back down the fence. Actually, now they don't even bother to climb the fence anymore.

Last edited:
Without reading this thread, my only addition is that you must keep that animal indoors from now on if you declaw (which I wouldn't do - that's my vote). If it ever gets out of the house, it is completely defenseless.

Without reading this thread, my only addition is that you must keep that animal indoors from now on if you declaw (which I wouldn't do - that's my vote). If it ever gets out of the house, it is completely defenseless.

I'm a big indoor person. I like my cats where I can cuddle them. But to say a cat gets out and declawed is defensless, is to not recognize cats and their superiority as individuals on the planet.

I had this one cat, rescue, poindexter, could climb a tree in a hearbeat. He was such a cutie patuoutie. Man I loved him. Declawed but could climb a tree in a heartbeat. My Ruby Starr and him had such a game going on.

She would bay him up so bad. Man oh man he was a doll.

Disclaimer one more time:

I've never declawed. But I detest those that bitch and moan and who think they are higher and more mightier than others who are owned by cats.

Snots you are. Bitches you are. And you are horrid.

Forum List

Back