Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
One of my favorite Brit Cold War dramas based on a John Le Carre novel. Gary Oldman plays MI6 spy George Smiley who was disgraced and retired after an agent was killed in a foreign operation and later recruited to investigate allegations that a high ranking member of the "Circus" was a Russian mole. I loved the movie but I couldn't understand why the character Jim Prideaux killed the character Bill Haydon at the end. Maybe the book explains it.

One of my favorite Brit Cold War dramas based on a John Le Carre novel. Gary Oldman plays MI6 spy George Smiley who was disgraced and retired after an agent was killed in a foreign operation and later recruited to investigate allegations that a high ranking member of the "Circus" was a Russian mole. I loved the movie but I couldn't understand why the character Jim Prideaux killed the character Bill Haydon at the end. Maybe the book explains it.

He was the one who betrayed him and told Karla of his mission.

They might also have been "involved"

Haydon was the mole, and was responsible for Prideaux being captured and tortured and his entire network killed.

The British TV series does a better job with this work.

Prideaux might have had a motive to kill Hayden for the botched mission but it hinted that Prideaux might have known that Hayden was involved with the Russians and Hayden's influence as a Russian mole actually saved his life. It seemed as if it was a sanctioned assassination.

I thought I would get some help from the forum but I guess nobody reads for enjoyment anymore so I'm going to have to break down and read the book to find out why the character Hayden was assassinated.

• Including results for tinker tailor soldier spy Haydon's death.
    Do you want results only for Tinker tailor soldier spy Haydon's death?
  • It was a revenge killing founded on a deep personal betrayal The details of Haydon's death are subtly different in the various adaptations of the Novel (which strongly hints but never explicitly confirms that it was Prideaux's work). But the motivation is clear in all versions. This explains it better than I could. It is one of my favorite stories.

I watched the ending again. George Smiley questions prisoner Bill Haydon as to why Prideaux came to him before he was sent on the fateful mission to Hungary. Smiley says " he knew deep down that you were the one and he was there to warn you". Hayden declines to answer but you know it's true. Maybe Prideaux killed Hayden to cover up his own involvement.

Forum List

Back