Times..Good vs Bad

I don't know how you made the leap from letting kids play outside and permissiveness.

Spiderman,

The kids I grew up with were all unsupervised and they all did stuff that would have gotten anyone in serious trouble. I worked with younger adults and they said what my generation did was juvenile because their generation is worse.

I went to school with a kid who told everyone he violated curfew and the cops had him up against a wall with their arm and their nightstick up against his face.

I knew a woman who said that 'so and so is a sl*t' because Ava had sex with 100 and she only had sex with 50.

Yeah, it can be prevented. When my wife was at the doctor's office, there was a sign on the wall that said if you had sex with more than a handful of people, you were at risk for STDs. The school had installed free condom vending machines and then the number of births skyrocketed because no one was using them but they gave approval by installing the machines.

Chuck

So you can keep your kids under house arrest if you want. But there is no way you can convince me you are teaching those kids how to live in the world. You're teaching them to be afraid of everything.

No house arrest. They can go to houses we know of parents that don't let their kids run wild or someone who keeps an eye on them.

They have a lot of activities like swimming, kid pitch (baseball), music lessons and practice, gymnastics, AWANA, cousins, friend's houses, Nintendo, groups, etc.

What responsibility do you have if your kids don't do what they are supposed to do? What are you going to hold yourself to if you don't hold them to it? The way I see it, I provide a house, transportation, doctor visits, dentist, health insurance, food, clothing, meals, safety, parents, etc, etc., etc. When we let other people set the standards, we're letting other people care more about our kids than we do and they have nothing invested because they don't care as much as we do.

Late nights 'sap children's brain power'

The findings on sleep patterns and brain power come from a UK study of more than 11,000 seven-year-olds.

Youngsters who had no regular bedtime or who went to bed later than 21:00 had lower scores for reading and maths.

BBC News - Late nights 'sap children's brain power'

We have a neighbor who lets their elementary school kid stay up till 11 PM during school nights, their child has bad behavior, acts out and is uncontrollable.

How do you perform at school if you are irritable and too tired to compete against children who are well rested and energetic?

That is called not restricting and too much freedom.

How do you think he will do in school?

When I was a kid...I had to walk 3 miles in the snow, in a blizzard, just to get to school.

Well, not quite .. :lol: .. but times have certainly changed, in some ways better but in others it's a shame to see.

Good- as a kid, I could leave in the morning and have adventures all day, no worries.

Bad- I feel insecure allowing my young daughter taking a walk around the block without me there to protect her.
Its the classic trap of love.

When we are kids, we know we can take care of ourselves and work hard to become independent from our parents....

As adults and parents, we know the dangers of the world and our every instinct screams at us to protect them....

The solution......

Bowmore-Darkest-15-Year-Single-Malt-Scotch-Gear-Patrol.jpg

And a lot of prayer.

Forum List

Back