Time yet to reconsider "the arrow of time"?

Thermodynamics deals with relationship of heat and energy

The universe is rapidly expanding due to dark energy
What made the universe expand initially?

Massive quantum fluctuations

I am not a scientist but I read things
What does that mean exactly? How did the massive quantum fluctuations propel everything outward?

You need to google that . It’s beyond me
I am sure dark energy propelled it and you’re taking about infinite matter

What does that mean exactly? How did the massive quantum fluctuations propel everything outward?

I don't believe dark matter did. That's not how dark matter works.

Dark matter and Dark energy are 2 different things

They are and they aren't. Matter and energy are equivalent. E=mc^2

"... Dark energy is caused by energy inherent to the fabric of space itself, and as the Universe expands, it's the energy density — the energy-per-unit-volume — that remains constant. As a result, a Universe filled with dark energy will see its expansion rate remain constant, rather than drop at all..."

Basically dark matter / dark energy are constantly being added as the universe expands. So initially there was no dark matter / dark energy.

The initial expansion of the universe was because the universe was created with nearly equal amounts of anti-particles and particles. As these pairs annihilated each other the remaining particles were propelled outward.

"... Dark energy is caused by energy inherent to the fabric of space itself, and as the Universe expands, it's the energy density — the energy-per-unit-volume — that remains constant. As a result, a Universe filled with dark energy will see its expansion rate remain constant, rather than drop at all..."

Basically dark matter / dark energy are constantly being added as the universe expands. So initially there was no dark matter / dark energy.

The initial expansion of the universe was because the universe was created with nearly equal amounts of anti-particles and particles. As these pairs annihilated each other the remaining particles were propelled outward.

The universe is rapidly expanding and will die by ice !! ( not fire )

"...
How is it that we have a universe of matter at all?

Our universe is made of four kinds of so-called elementary particles: neutrons, protons, electrons, and photons, which are particles of radiation. (I disregard neutrinos, since they do not interact with other matter; also the host of other particles that appear transiently in the course of high‑energy nuclear interactions.) The only important qualification one need make to such a simple statement is that the first three particles exist also as antiparticles, the particles constituting matter, the anti-particles anti-matter. When matter comes into contact with anti-matter they mutually annihilate each other, and their masses are instantly turned into radiation according to Einstein’s famous equation, E = mc2, in which E is the energy of the radiation, m is the annihilated mass, and c is the speed of light.

The positive and negative electric charges that divide particles from anti-particles are perfectly symmetrical. So the most reasonable expectation is that exactly equal numbers of both particles and anti-particles entered the Big Bang, the cosmic explosion in which our universe is thought to have begun. In that case, however, in the enormous compression of material at the Big Bang, there must have occurred a tremendous storm of mutual annihilation, ending with the conversion of all the particles and anti-particles into radiation. We should have come out of the Big Bang with a universe containing only radiation.

Fortunately for us, it seems that a tiny mistake was made. In 1965, Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson at the Bell Telephone Laboratories in New Jersey discovered a new microwave radiation that fills the universe, coming equally from all directions, wherever one may be. It is by far the dominant radiation in the universe; billions of years of starlight have added to it only negligibly. It is commonly agreed that this is the residue remaining from that gigantic firestorm of mutual annihilation in the Big Bang.

It turns out that there are about one billion photons of that radiation for every proton in the universe. Hence it is thought that what went into the Big Bang were not exactly equal numbers of particles and anti-particles, but that for every billion anti-particles there were one billion and one particles, so that when all the mutual annihilation had happened, there remained over that one particle per billion, and that now contitutes all the matter in the universe -- all the galaxies, the stars and planets, and of course all life..."

So the initial expansion was created when the sub atomic particles (i.e. energy) annihilated their sub atomic anti-particles. So for dark matter, if it truly exists it starts off as sub atomic particles too and quickly coalesces into matter. All matter starts off as energy. So dark matter and dark energy are related.

The universe is rapidly expanding and will die by ice !! ( not fire )
I agree. That's the SLoT at it's finest. As time approaches infinity all objects will equilibrate. There's no avoiding this. That's one of the ways we know the universe began. But so-called heat death is trillion upon trillions of years away from now.

Everything started from infinite matter and energy the size of a proton
Yes. And it came from nothing.

Inflation Theory, the First Law of Thermodynamics and quantum mechanics tells us that it is possible for matter to have a beginning. In a closed universe the gravitational energy which is always negative exactly compensates the positive energy of matter. So the energy of a closed universe is always zero. So nothing prevents this universe from being spontaneously created. Because the net energy is always zero. The positive energy of matter is balanced by the negative energy of the gravity of that matter which is the space time curvature of that matter. There is no conservation law that prevents the formation of such a universe. In quantum mechanics if something is not forbidden by conservation laws, then it necessarily happens with some non-zero probability. So a closed universe can spontaneously appear - through the laws of quantum mechanics - out of nothing. And in fact there is an elegant mathematical description which describes this process and shows that a tiny closed universe having very high energy can spontaneously pop into existence and immediately start to expand and cool. In this description, the same laws that describe the evolution of the universe also describe the appearance of the universe which means that the laws were in place before the universe itself.

The formation of our universe says the universe is not an open system.
How did "The formation of our universe" say that.. or anything else.. Never mind..
And it isn't useless for this conversation because if the universe is open then the universe cannot and will not contract. It will continue to accelerate with or without dark matter. So the premise of your opening post is flawed.
Wtf ever.. Never said it was open. It simply doesn't matter because we have no way of knowing for sure yet..

"... Dark energy is caused by energy inherent to the fabric of space itself, and as the Universe expands, it's the energy density — the energy-per-unit-volume — that remains constant.
The Aether lives on.. under a new name. Gee, thanks QM! Thanks, Einstein! Thanks to you we're right back where we started, and still going at a snail's pace..

The matter and energy came from something

Nobody knows
It’s kind of irrelevant
Vilenkin seems essentially correct, Wald a deep thinker, but very circular so self-deluded. It clearly matters greatly to the religious. It matters to me in a sense as well. I too have my theories, but I'd like to know for sure or even just better.

The formation of our universe says the universe is not an open system.
How did "The formation of our universe" say that.. or anything else.. Never mind..
And it isn't useless for this conversation because if the universe is open then the universe cannot and will not contract. It will continue to accelerate with or without dark matter. So the premise of your opening post is flawed.
Wtf ever.. Never said it was open. It simply doesn't matter because we have no way of knowing for sure yet..
Because it could only be created from nothing by being a closed system.

You just implied it was open and argued against a closed or isolated system.

Nobody knows
It’s kind of irrelevant
Actually it didn't. It was a quantum tunneling event.

It isn't possible for matter and energy to be an eternal source because of thermal equilibrium.

"... Dark energy is caused by energy inherent to the fabric of space itself, and as the Universe expands, it's the energy density — the energy-per-unit-volume — that remains constant.
The Aether lives on.. under a new name. Gee, thanks QM! Thanks, Einstein! Thanks to you we're right back where we started, and still going at a snail's pace..
grumblenuts' OCD.gif

Nobody knows
It’s kind of irrelevant
Vilenkin seems essentially correct, Wald a deep thinker, but very circular so self-deluded. It clearly matters greatly to the religious. It matters to me in a sense as well. I too have my theories, but I'd like to know for sure or even just better.
Wald was an atheist, like you.

Forum List

Back