Time Travel

Not to bore the kerboozle out of everybody, but I just wanted to point out in my mild-mannered way that part of Einstein's theory of relativity is that, as one were to get closer to the speed of light, time would "dialate", or slow down. At the speed of light, time would stand still, and at FTL, time would actually move backwards. So, to arrive at a destination like Alpha Centauri Prime, 4.3 light years away, one would have to calculate how long it would take to get to FTL, how long to stay in FTL and when to drop into normal space in order to arrive at point B in relatively (ha ha) no time at all.

But we have no technology to prove this - yet.

But then again, just 150 years ago, we still were not flying, now were we, much less going to the moon.

I supposed that time travel could or could not find the internet, depending upon to which point in time one would travel, were it even possible to do so.

Not to mention the horrible danger involved with contaminating the timeline we know as our history.

See: Butterfly Effect.

:D

Two things, Stat -

1 nothing can travel faster than the speed of light - except for very short distances, that notwithstanding - time travel is entirely possible.

2 I believe that one would not be able to change the present by altering the past - time always continues in a forwardly motion; thus, time would "fork" at the point where you re-entered the past, preventing you from harming yourself or your own version of the universe ... only the "new" alternate version of it.

I know, It's a bit of a stretch and there is no real evidence yet, but this works ... so far.

Conjecture. WE think that because we cannot do it - yet.

Not to bore the kerboozle out of everybody, but I just wanted to point out in my mild-mannered way that part of Einstein's theory of relativity is that, as one were to get closer to the speed of light, time would "dialate", or slow down. At the speed of light, time would stand still, and at FTL, time would actually move backwards. So, to arrive at a destination like Alpha Centauri Prime, 4.3 light years away, one would have to calculate how long it would take to get to FTL, how long to stay in FTL and when to drop into normal space in order to arrive at point B in relatively (ha ha) no time at all.

But we have no technology to prove this - yet.

But then again, just 150 years ago, we still were not flying, now were we, much less going to the moon.

I supposed that time travel could or could not find the internet, depending upon to which point in time one would travel, were it even possible to do so.

Not to mention the horrible danger involved with contaminating the timeline we know as our history.

See: Butterfly Effect.

Two things, Stat -

1 nothing can travel faster than the speed of light - except for very short distances, that notwithstanding - time travel is entirely possible.

2 I believe that one would not be able to change the present by altering the past - time always continues in a forwardly motion; thus, time would "fork" at the point where you re-entered the past, preventing you from harming yourself or your own version of the universe ... only the "new" alternate version of it.

I know, It's a bit of a stretch and there is no real evidence yet, but this works ... so far.

Truthfully, I cannot ever imagine being able to test this. Of course, I am not bound by those pesky laws of physics when I am merely postulating on-line, Dr. Stat! ;) There is quite a bit of work on it though, and the general consensus appears to be that it is a physiological impossibility.

One thing about the speed of light with regards to photons, is that it is always measured with exact consistency; it is the same for all observers even when on an object travelling at near the speed of light - forward or reverse. We know quite a bit about SOL already, Mr Stat.

Last edited:
Two things, Stat -

Truthfully, I cannot ever imagine being able to test this. Of course, I am not bound by those pesky laws of physics when I am merely postulating on-line, Dr. Stat! ;)

Unfortunately, me too.

But I would so love to see the triple moons of Drelex V just once before I die...

Truthfully, I cannot ever imagine being able to test this. Of course, I am not bound by those pesky laws of physics when I am merely postulating on-line, Dr. Stat! ;)

Unfortunately, me too.

But I would so love to see the triple moons of Drelex V just once before I die...

That would be extraordinarily unlikely. If you even could travel at a sizable percentage of the speed of light (say 95%), At 1 g-force it would take upwards of ten years to accelerate to and ten more years to decelerate from such an incredible speed.

While your journey would be a mere few decades to complete on your time, the time that would have elapsed here on earth would be as much as a thousand years. (E=Mc2)

Last edited:
There is NO mathematical proof that time ONLY travels in one direction.

There IS evidence to support the notion that CAUSE PROCEDES EFFECT is not always the case.

And it if it not ALWAYS the case, then it is entirely possible that everything we think we intuitively know about TIME is an illusion.

Time travel and travelers are the least interesting part of that possibility.

There IS evidence to support the notion that CAUSE PROCEDES EFFECT is not always the case.

And it if it not ALWAYS the case, then it is entirely possible that everything we think we intuitively know about TIME is an illusion.

But without a time traveller to report back, how will we ever know that it happened?

Time is nothing but a measurement of entropy; entropy always increases with time.

Ergo - time only moves in a forwardly direction.

No, not true - we do have information about time and know many things about it. We still have more to learn.

Time is nothing but a measurement of entropy; entropy always increases with time.

No, not true - we do have information about time and know many things about it. We still have more to learn.

Well which is it? The universe is either causal, or it is not.

btw, If you run your sig video backwards, the ice cream bars are manufacturing the machine.

Last edited:

btw, If you run your sig video backwards, the ice cream bars are manufacturing the machine.

I believe what you are implying, is that in order to time-travel, you need to reverse time.

That would not be the case. Time always goes forward, not back. When you are traveling back through time, what you are really doing is to go forward in your own time, in order to enter a portal that leads to a past light-cone. During this process you are moving in a continually forward direction that leads to a "fork" in time.

Because of time now having a separate river - nothing that you do in the past light-cone that you are visiting will effect you in whatever time you are presently in.

Even if you were to accidentally run over and kill yourself, you would still remain, unchanged, in spite of killing yourself. The difference would be that now, in this separate river of time, the younger version of yourself would cease to exist.

Bother versions of the "fork" are equally "real" and they have no baring on each other. Even if one version of the universe were to re-collapse and the other were to die a frozen death of expansion.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

Again, this is simply my personal hypotheses and is not anywhere near ready to be tested ~

I believe what you are implying, is that in order to time-travel, you need to reverse time.

That would not be the case. Time always goes forward, not back. When you are traveling back through time, what you are really doing is to go forward in your own time, in order to enter a portal that leads to a past light-cone. During this process you are moving in a continually forward direction that leads to a "fork" in time.

Because of time now having a separate river - nothing that you do in the past light-cone that you are visiting will effect you in whatever time you are presently in.

Even if you were to accidentally run over and kill yourself, you would still remain, unchanged, in spite of killing yourself. The difference would be that now, in this separate river of time, the younger version of yourself would cease to exist.

Bother versions of the "fork" are equally "real" and they have no baring on each other. Even if one version of the universe were to re-collapse and the other were to die a frozen death of expansion.

Again, this is simply my personal hypotheses and is not anywhere near ready to be tested ~

The butterfly theory contends that for practically every major (or maybe minor) action, in that millisecond, millions of possible other realities are created within subspace.

Stephen King's JFK book uses a little of this idea.

A missed appointment.
A car wreck.
A broken condom.

The butterfly theory contends that for practically every major (or maybe minor) action, in that millisecond, millions of possible other realities are created within subspace.

A missed appointment.
A car wreck.
A broken condom.

Right - think of our time, as a shadow being cast up against the wall. Which shadow is real? All of the shadows.

I don't know that one re-entry of the past causes many forks, though ... only one per event.

Last edited:

A missed appointment.
A car wreck.
A broken condom.

Right - think of our time, as a shadow being cast up against the wall. Which shadow is real? All of the shadows.

I wonder if this explains people who hear voices that other people cannot hear...

A missed appointment.
A car wreck.
A broken condom.

I wonder if this explains people who hear voices that other people cannot hear...

Negatory - those separate universes are not accessible to other beings in different realms.

EDIT: not because they are inaccessible, but because to them, the other possibility does not even exist.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back