Time to buy LED lightbulbs.

Got a question for all you "I love stark lighting people". You really like the LED Christmas lights? Because there's a real difference in QUALITY of lighting there as well. I can tolerate bulbs INDOORS in a lot of rarely used fixtures. But the XMas LED stuff is just harsh and abrasive on the eyes compared to bulbs. And the HEAT is a good thing in the winter outdoors. Keeps them from icing up and getting covered by snow.

When this all started several northern cities replaced their traffic lights with LED "equivalents". First bad winter, they all FROZE OVER and got covered in snow/ice. Had to install "heaters" to keep them clear. Think Minneapolis and a couple others had to fiddle with this til they got it right. So much for "wasted heat" huh?

I guess in the traffic light case, they only need the heaters for 4 months or so. But STILL --- people get DRIVEN into these choices before the market and consumers sort out all the issues.

Only stupid people would risk their homes buying $1 LED bulbs. There is so much that can wrong in there, that $1 bulb should be a big flashing warning sign.

I've never heard of a cheap LED bulb burning down someone's home. And, I can't imagine how it would be significantly possible. I'd worry more about a traditional incandescent bulb burning down my home, because of the heat it generates and the power it draws.

LEDs are inherently DC devices. They are DIODES. Don't like AC. There are few "novelty" AC LED products. But you can't get efficient power thru them.

Diodes like AC just fine. In fact, running AC into diodes is the way AC is converted into DC never. There are other reasons why AC LED bulbs are not common.

Only stupid people would risk their homes buying $1 LED bulbs. There is so much that can wrong in there, that $1 bulb should be a big flashing warning sign.

I've never heard of a cheap LED bulb burning down someone's home. And, I can't imagine how it would be significantly possible. I'd worry more about a traditional incandescent bulb burning down my home, because of the heat it generates and the power it draws.

LEDs are inherently DC devices. They are DIODES. Don't like AC. There are few "novelty" AC LED products. But you can't get efficient power thru them.

Diodes like AC just fine. In fact, running AC into diodes is the way AC is converted into DC never. There are other reasons why AC LED bulbs are not common.

Not really... Something creating light on only 1/2 of the cycle are not that efficient. LEDs only light in the forward direction.. Just like any diode. Not only that -- but the junctions break down at about 20 volts in the reverse direction. Wouldn't work off of 120VAC anyways.

Not really... Something creating light on only 1/2 of the cycle are not that efficient. LEDs only light in the forward direction.. Just like any diode. Not only that -- but the junctions break down at about 20 volts in the reverse direction. Wouldn't work off of 120VAC anyways.

Using half the cycle has nothing do with efficiency. And, even if did, it's simple as sticking in a second diode in reverse, then 100% of the cycle is used.

How much voltage breaks down the junction is completely dependent upon diode design. And, even if it weren't, it's as simple as sticking some LEDs in series to divide the voltage.

Using half the cycle has nothing do with efficiency. And, even if did, it's simple as sticking in a second diode in reverse, then 100% of the cycle is used.

How much voltage breaks down the junction is completely dependent upon diode design. And, even if it weren't, it's as simple as sticking some LEDs in series to divide the voltage.

You'd blow the junctions if the AC was above the reverse junction breakdowns. So that only works with less than about 10VAC.. Not 110VAC..

USMB Republicans have been critical of LED bulbs insisting they are two expensive.

95% of the energy used by an incandescent bulb is converted to heat, the remaining 5% is light. Run a 60 watt incandescent bulb for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. What do you feel?

Run an LED bulb that's comparable for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. Feel any heat at all?

LED bulbs last 50 times longer.

Just saw an add on TV for four 60 Watt comparable LED bulbs for $4.99..

That brings the cost of LED bulbs in line with the cost of incandescent bulbs. As LED bulbs are used more and more, the cost will continue to decline. How many lights in your house?

New "Light Recycling" Incandescent Bulbs Could Outperform Energy-Efficient LEDs

But all is not lost. Scientists are figuring out a way to recycle the heat which might eventually make incandescent bulbs more efficient.

You are quite right about everything you say, but traditionally, I could get an incandescent light bulb for 50¢ to a dollar vs. $5.00 - $10.00. I remember TFT bulbs going for $20.00. I know they've come down but still, their longevity is offset by their cost. Further, I just like a simple incandescent light bulb. Basically an empty glass bubble and a tiny filament. No mercury, no diodes, no plastic shells. When one burns out, I just throw it away.

Besides, when bulbs were forced discontinued by Obama to FORCE the TFT and LED market, and bulb prices went way down, I bought a SHITLOAD of incandescent bulbs! Every kind, every shape and wattage. I have enough to last me the rest of my life. Besides, that heat generated isn't wasted one bit in colder weather---- that heat goes a ways towards heating my home.

Got a question for all you "I love stark lighting people". You really like the LED Christmas lights? Because there's a real difference in QUALITY of lighting there as well. I can tolerate bulbs INDOORS in a lot of rarely used fixtures. But the XMas LED stuff is just harsh and abrasive on the eyes compared to bulbs. And the HEAT is a good thing in the winter outdoors. Keeps them from icing up and getting covered by snow.

LEDs can imitate incandescent bulbs, being visually indistinguishable. Being able to doesn't mean they do. E.g a red Christmas LED is a pure red point of light. An incandescent red Christmas light is a warm white filtered and diffused through an opaque red filter, which would make it less harsh. They could make LED Christmas lights like this, if they thought there was demand for it.

I've used LED Christmas lights outside in winter and never saw ice and snow as much of a problem. When they're covered with a little ice, I think they're even prettier. Traffic lights are a special problem. They can't be covered for even a little while. And, they're shaded so the sun doesn't hit the lenses. Still an LED + heating element is a better deal than an incandescent bulb. The LED lasts practically forever and is much more energy efficient (only heats when near freezing).

The only thing about LED lights is that you have to make sure you have the correct dimmers or you can fry the lights

USMB Republicans have been critical of LED bulbs insisting they are two expensive.

95% of the energy used by an incandescent bulb is converted to heat, the remaining 5% is light. Run a 60 watt incandescent bulb for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. What do you feel?

Run an LED bulb that's comparable for 10 minutes and then unscrew the bulb by hand. Feel any heat at all?

That brings the cost of LED bulbs in line with the cost of incandescent bulbs. As LED bulbs are used more and more, the cost will continue to decline. How many lights in your house?

But all is not lost. Scientists are figuring out a way to recycle the heat which might eventually make incandescent bulbs more efficient.

(((((( YAWN ))))))))

Besides, when bulbs were forced discontinued by Obama to FORCE the TFT and LED market, and bulb prices went way down, I bought a SHITLOAD of incandescent bulbs! Every kind, every shape and wattage. I have enough to last me the rest of my life. Besides, that heat generated isn't wasted one bit in colder weather---- that heat goes a ways towards heating my home.

True, the heat of a hot bulb isn't wasted in winter. But, heating by bulb is more expensive than non-electric heating. And, you don't benefit from the expensive heat of a bulb outside of winter. Just the opposite, it's very expensive for an air conditioner to take out the expensive heat made by a bulb.

E.g.
utility bill In fall and spring, just lights, no heating or cooling
LED bulbs: $10
Incandescent bulbs: $60

In summer, with A/C:
LED: $60
Incandescent: $120

In winter, with gas heat:
Incandescent: $70

In this example, with equal seasons, those bulbs that keep you warm in winter are costing you $510/year in increased utility charges. If you're rich, being that wasteful proves you're an @sshole. If you're poor, being that wasteful proves you're ignorant as sh1t.

You are quite right about everything you say, but traditionally, I could get an incandescent light bulb for 50¢ to a dollar vs. $5.00 - $10.00. I remember TFT bulbs going for $20.00. I know they've come down but still, their longevity is offset by their cost. Further, I just like a simple incandescent light bulb. Basically an empty glass bubble and a tiny filament. No mercury, no diodes, no plastic shells. When one burns out, I just throw it away.

"Besides, that heat generated isn't wasted one bit in colder weather---- that heat goes a ways towards heating my home."

That's not the important point, though. The important point is that it is an inefficient way to create heat. And unless you never use air conditioning, you offset a lot of that gain over the course of the year

True, the heat of a hot bulb isn't wasted in winter. But, heating by bulb is more expensive than non-electric heating. And, you don't benefit from the expensive heat of a bulb outside of winter. Just the opposite, it's very expensive for an air conditioner to take out the expensive heat made by a bulb.

E.g.
utility bill In fall and spring, just lights, no heating or cooling
LED bulbs: $10
Incandescent bulbs: $60

In summer, with A/C:
Incandescent: $120

In winter, with gas heat:
Incandescent: $70

In this example, with equal seasons, those bulbs that keep you warm in winter are costing you $510/year in increased utility charges. If you're rich, being that wasteful proves you're an @sshole. If you're poor, being that wasteful proves you're ignorant as sh1t.

I'm neither an "asshole" nor "ignorant," I don't use that many bulbs and the ones I do are low wattage unless needed otherwise. They put out no appreciable heat that affects my central air and their cost is insignificant. I just happen to LIKE incandescent bulbs, I like the light they put out vs. the colder color temp of LED, I stocked up on a LOT of bulbs and if I ever manage to use them all up, by then, LED's will be even cheaper and better. There are certain situations, certain type fixtures, etc., that you will always need an incandescent bulb so certain kinds will always be made.

You will starve to death, no way now to heat your bologna in your easy bake oven

The important point is that it is an inefficient way to create heat.

How so? By what physical law is it inefficient? A tungsten filament operates along the basic law of I^2R losses! What isn't converted to visible photonic light is released as IR light. Unless you can show me where these two added together do not somehow add up to the total RMS wattage consumed, it seems to me to be perfectly efficient. And it is more than just cost of operation, it is also the quality / type of light! I prefer warm, incandescent light, and if it costs me a little more over the high price of LED bulbs, I am OK with that. Some people drive Buicks and some prefer Cadillacs; though one costs more and to operate, and BOTH get you to where you're going, it is the choice to drive the way you want that makes it all worthwhile.

I just happen to LIKE incandescent bulbs, I like the light they put out vs. the colder color temp of LED,

Incandescent bulbs have a color temperature of 3000K. You can buy LED bulbs with 3000K color temperature. The light of most cheap LED bulbs are nearly visually indispensable from incandescent bulbs, no that there's any reason yellow 3000K should be your magic number, other than it serves your ignorant rationalization. And, for your delusion that there's a significant difference, you're willing to pay hundreds of extra dollars per year to burn obsolete bulbs.

Maybe you might like a slightly less yellow 3500K better, but you won't give yourself a chance because to leave 3000K, you have to go to LED bulbs. House plants like cold color temperatures, but they don't suffer from willful ignorance. Daylight is over 5000K. You don't like daylight?

The important point is that it is an inefficient way to create heat.

How so? By what physical law is it inefficient? A tungsten filament operates along the basic law of I^2R losses! What isn't converted to visible photonic light is released as IR light. Unless you can show me where these two added together do not somehow add up to the total RMS wattage consumed, it seems to me to be perfectly efficient. And it is more than just cost of operation, it is also the quality / type of light! I prefer warm, incandescent light, and if it costs me a little more over the high price of LED bulbs, I am OK with that. Some people drive Buicks and some prefer Cadillacs; though one costs more and to operate, and BOTH get you to where you're going, it is the choice to drive the way you want that makes it all worthwhile.
It's much less efficient than gas or propane heat, due to the inefficiency of creating electricity in the first place and losses in the transmission. Don't believe me? Try heating your house with light bulbs and an electric oven for a month.

Last edited:
I just happen to LIKE incandescent bulbs, I like the light they put out vs. the colder color temp of LED,

Incandescent bulbs have a color temperature of 3000K. You can buy LED bulbs with 3000K color temperature. The light of most cheap LED bulbs are nearly visually indispensable from incandescent bulbs, no that there's any reason yellow 3000K should be your magic number, other than it serves your ignorant rationalization. And, for your delusion that there's a significant difference, you're willing to pay hundreds of extra dollars per year to burn obsolete bulbs.

Maybe you might like a slightly less yellow 3500K better, but you won't give yourself a chance because to leave 3000K, you have to go to LED bulbs. House plants like cold color temperatures, but they don't suffer from willful ignorance. Daylight is over 5000K. You don't like daylight?

First of all, take your "ignorance" and "delusion," and SHOVE IT RIGHT UP YOUR ASS and sit on it. Second of all, don't put words in my mouth that I never said then attack me for them. Unless you can tell me you are a practical engineer in electronics as I was, have 45 years study in the nature of light, don't presuppose you know more about a light bulb than me. Incandescent bulbs can vary around many temperatures depending on their construction, that is why they make plant grow bulb whose tinting to the glass renders a close facsimile to natural daylight. I have other incandescent bulbs that put out enough SWUV to give you a sunburn. And as to your idiotic assertion that LEDs would save me hundreds of dollars, my annual electrical consumption is around $1200, so you are saying I can cut my energy consumption for light, heating, AC, cooking, refrigeration, power appliances, TV and stereo (both of which here consume quite a lot), in HALF or down a THIRD just by changing light bulbs??? So you know, normally, I only have 2 or 3 40W bulbs on in the whole house! Sometimes less. Please don't talk out your ass at me when you obviously don't know shit about my likes and needs.

You use a fricking kerosene torch if you want; I'll be using INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULBS.

First of all, take your "ignorance" and "delusion," and SHOVE IT RIGHT UP YOUR ASS and sit on it. Second of all, don't put words in my mouth that I never said then attack me for them. Unless you can tell me you are a practical engineer in electronics as I was, have 45 years study in the nature of light, don't presuppose you know more about a light bulb than me. Incandescent bulbs can vary around many temperatures depending on their construction, that is why they make plant grow bulb whose tinting to the glass renders a close facsimile to natural daylight. I have other incandescent bulbs that put out enough SWUV to give you a sunburn. And as to your idiotic assertion that LEDs would save me hundreds of dollars, my annual electrical consumption is around $1200, so you are saying I can cut my energy consumption for light, heating, AC, cooking, refrigeration, power appliances, TV and stereo (both of which here consume quite a lot), in HALF or down a THIRD just by changing light bulbs??? So you know, normally, I only have 2 or 3 40W bulbs on in the whole house! Sometimes less. Please don't talk out your ass at me when you obviously don't know shit about my likes and needs.

You use a fricking kerosene torch if you want; I'll be using INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULBS.
LED bulbs would save you hundreds of dollars. They last a loooong time.

It's much less efficient than gas or propane heat, due to the inefficiency of creating electricity in the first place and losses in the transmission. Don't believe me? Try heating your house with light bulbs and an electric oven for a month.

Electricity typically costs two to three times what gas costs for the heat you get. And, electric bulbs produces the heat near the ceiling, where it tends to stay until it migrates through the ceiling, making bulbs yet a poorer choice of heating.

The guy arguing about heat from bulbs being useful to heat his home is an idiot. He is spending hundreds of extra dollars per year on energy, for which light he can't tell the difference vs. LED.

LED bulbs would save you hundreds of dollars. They last a loooong time.

I bet I must have at least 150-200 light bulbs. Twice I filled a shopping cart up half with them. I have maybe $25 invested in all of them. After Brarackass The Jackass meddled in the free market and didn't leave it up to free will and market forces for people to decide what they wanted to use and misused his governmental power and forced the closing of all the light bulb factories, they were practically giving them away in stores. I'll use them till the day I die just to spite that jackass asshole bastard. If they cost me a little more, I don't care, I can afford it. I have a whole big closet shelf filled with them! I've had people over who said: "Where did you get all those light bulbs?!" You can't buy them anymore and a lot of people wish they could find them. I'm not selling any of mine.

Forum List

Back