Time Magazine: How to fix the "air conditioning problem"

The left, coming for air conditioning.

Here’s a subject that’s on the minds of a lot of Americans this month, particularly up in the pacific northwest. With temperatures breaking records, people have been scrambling to get air conditioning. People who have never needed it suddenly want it and people who have it want more of it. This has led the helpful folks at Time Magazine to publish a very long “explainer” about the history of modern air conditioning and why it’s a problem. The title is, “AC Feels Great, But It’s Terrible for the Planet. Here’s How to Fix That.”​
That sounds promising, right? Because it’s true that the hydrofluorocarbons used in modern AC units aren’t great for the atmosphere and disposing of those annoying window-mounted AC units is a huge pain. So does Time offer us some promising new technology on the horizon to fulfill our 21st air conditioning needs? Allow me to save you some time because, again, that article is sadistically long. (And yes, I read the entire thing so you wouldn’t have to.) As I said, the article begins with the history of air conditioning and how it was originally invented for industrial purposes rather than personal cooling. It then steps through the various incarnations of cooling technology… at great length. Finally, at the very end, we get to the big reveal. What do we do about it? Here you go. (Emphasis added)​
The troubled history of air-conditioning suggests not that we chuck it entirely but that we focus on public cooling, on public comfort, rather than individual cooling, on individual comfort. Ensuring that the most vulnerable among the planet’s human inhabitants can keep cool through better access to public cooling centers, shade-giving trees, safe green spaces, water infrastructure to cool, and smart design will not only enrich our cities overall, it will lower the temperature for everyone. It’s far more efficient this way.
To do so, we’ll have to re-orient ourselves to the meaning of air-conditioning. And to comfort. Privatized air-conditioning survived the ozone crisis, but its power to separate—by class, by race, by nation, by ability—has survived, too. Comfort for some comes at the expense of the life on this planet.
It’s time we become more comfortable with discomfort. Our survival may depend on it.​

So there’s the answer. Air conditioning is on the climate change naughty list, so it needs to go. No, we’re not going to offer you a more climate-friendly way to cool your home. You just need to ditch your AC and get used to being hot and sweaty. For the good of the planet.​
All I can say to the article’s author, Eric Dean Wilson, is… up your nose with a rubber hose, pal. (Younger readers may have to ask their parents about that reference.)​
...​

Air Conditioning is RACIST!

Here’s a subject that’s on the minds of a lot of Americans this month, particularly up in the pacific northwest. With temperatures breaking records, people have been scrambling to get air conditioning. People who have never needed it suddenly want it and people who have it want more of it. This has led the helpful folks at Time Magazine to publish a very long “explainer” about the history of modern air conditioning and why it’s a problem. The title is, “AC Feels Great, But It’s Terrible for the Planet. Here’s How to Fix That.”

That sounds promising, right? Because it’s true that the hydrofluorocarbons used in modern AC units aren’t great for the atmosphere and disposing of those annoying window-mounted AC units is a huge pain. So does Time offer us some promising new technology on the horizon to fulfill our 21st air conditioning needs? Allow me to save you some time because, again, that article is sadistically long. (And yes, I read the entire thing so you wouldn’t have to.) As I said, the article begins with the history of air conditioning and how it was originally invented for industrial purposes rather than personal cooling. It then steps through the various incarnations of cooling technology… at great length. Finally, at the very end, we get to the big reveal. What do we do about it? Here you go. (Emphasis added)

The troubled history of air-conditioning suggests not that we chuck it entirely but that we focus on public cooling, on public comfort, rather than individual cooling, on individual comfort. Ensuring that the most vulnerable among the planet’s human inhabitants can keep cool through better access to public cooling centers, shade-giving trees, safe green spaces, water infrastructure to cool, and smart design will not only enrich our cities overall, it will lower the temperature for everyone. It’s far more efficient this way.
To do so, we’ll have to re-orient ourselves to the meaning of air-conditioning. And to comfort. Privatized air-conditioning survived the ozone crisis, but its power to separate—by class, by race, by nation, by ability—has survived, too. Comfort for some comes at the expense of the life on this planet.

It’s time we become more comfortable with discomfort. Our survival may depend on it.

So there’s the answer. Air conditioning is on the climate change naughty list, so it needs to go. No, we’re not going to offer you a more climate-friendly way to cool your home. You just need to ditch your AC and get used to being hot and sweaty. For the good of the planet.

All I can say to the article’s author, Eric Dean Wilson, is… up your nose with a rubber hose, pal. (Younger readers may have to ask their parents about that reference.)

...​

The left are losing their fucking minds

Here’s a subject that’s on the minds of a lot of Americans this month, particularly up in the pacific northwest. With temperatures breaking records, people have been scrambling to get air conditioning. People who have never needed it suddenly want it and people who have it want more of it. This has led the helpful folks at Time Magazine to publish a very long “explainer” about the history of modern air conditioning and why it’s a problem. The title is, “AC Feels Great, But It’s Terrible for the Planet. Here’s How to Fix That.”​
That sounds promising, right? Because it’s true that the hydrofluorocarbons used in modern AC units aren’t great for the atmosphere and disposing of those annoying window-mounted AC units is a huge pain. So does Time offer us some promising new technology on the horizon to fulfill our 21st air conditioning needs? Allow me to save you some time because, again, that article is sadistically long. (And yes, I read the entire thing so you wouldn’t have to.) As I said, the article begins with the history of air conditioning and how it was originally invented for industrial purposes rather than personal cooling. It then steps through the various incarnations of cooling technology… at great length. Finally, at the very end, we get to the big reveal. What do we do about it? Here you go. (Emphasis added)​
It’s time we become more comfortable with discomfort. Our survival may depend on it.​

So there’s the answer. Air conditioning is on the climate change naughty list, so it needs to go. No, we’re not going to offer you a more climate-friendly way to cool your home. You just need to ditch your AC and get used to being hot and sweaty. For the good of the planet.​
All I can say to the article’s author, Eric Dean Wilson, is… up your nose with a rubber hose, pal. (Younger readers may have to ask their parents about that reference.)​
...​

Of course! But The Party Leaders will continue to need air conditioning

Last edited:

...​

It really makes you wonder. Public cooling centers? How are you supposed to go to sleep, and what do you sleep on? Are Americans to be living like the illegals at our border? Maybe we can reelect Donald Trump to build cages for the kids in these public cooling centers.

How big do these centers have to be to put an entire city in? Oh, that's right, they will be for the mostly vulnerable of our people. But what about everybody else? Well, I guess you can live out the summer in your basement if you have one, maybe spend most of your day and evenings in your bathtub with cool water. Everybody in the house gets one hour each, and you will just have to sit in front of a fan until your next hour comes up.

Yes, this idea and piece was written by a leftist wacko, but how many other wackos are reading this thing and saying "Yes! This is what we really need in this country!"

Let's hope AOC is learning how to use her garbage disposal and too busy to read this article.

...​

Never gonna happen.

First, they will ruin our power grid. They are already hard at work at that with the nonsense of wind and solar power.
We want to harden the grid. Republicans don't want to spend any money on improvement.

Look at Texas to see what happens when you go that route.

...​

Never gonna happen.
You guys will destroy it progressively.

...​

We must execute all collectivists.

...​

The left are losing their fucking minds
How does one lose something which one has never had?

The ozone hole grew to its maximum size last year. The CFC thing is bullshit too.

Upgrading utility infrastructure guarantees us our comforts. Removing a comfort like A/C which may even be a necessity in some places would likely cause mass immigration causing more problems.

I think libs are made not born

Over time strange ideas take hold till they lose touch with reality

They're bringing back the UFO nonsense again. While I never believed in little green people from another planet, sometimes when liberals talk, it makes me wonder if they're even from our world.

I live in coastal South Carolina. Fuck you, come and take my air conditioning, I dare you...

Can't sleep at night in Chas without AC, but when I was in school down on 172 Rutledge we had no AC..

Forum List

Back