TikTok ban - the fine print

Thinker101

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2017
While Congress rushes to ban TikTok because of the communist Chinese, Thomas Massie is calling the bill a ā€œtrojan horseā€ and Elon Musk says itā€™s all about censorship.

The President will be given the power to ban WEB SITES, not just Apps. The person breaking the new law is deemed to be the U.S. (or offshore) INTERNET HOSTING SERVICE or App Store, not the ā€˜foreign adversary,'ā€ Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) warned on X.

Billionaire Elon Musk agrees with that conclusion and issued his own warning on X, ā€œThis law is not just about TikTok, it is about censorship and government control! If it were just about TikTok, it would only cite ā€˜foreign controlā€™ as the issue, but it does not.ā€

Seems government can't do anything without establishing more control over citizens.

Rep. Massie: ā€˜So-called TikTok ban is a Trojan Horseā€™ that would give massive censorship power to US president

While Congress rushes to ban TikTok because of the communist Chinese, Thomas Massie is calling the bill a ā€œtrojan horseā€ and Elon Musk says itā€™s all about censorship.

The President will be given the power to ban WEB SITES, not just Apps. The person breaking the new law is deemed to be the U.S. (or offshore) INTERNET HOSTING SERVICE or App Store, not the ā€˜foreign adversary,'ā€ Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) warned on X.

Billionaire Elon Musk agrees with that conclusion and issued his own warning on X, ā€œThis law is not just about TikTok, it is about censorship and government control! If it were just about TikTok, it would only cite ā€˜foreign controlā€™ as the issue, but it does not.ā€

Seems government can't do anything without establishing more control over citizens.

Rep. Massie: ā€˜So-called TikTok ban is a Trojan Horseā€™ that would give massive censorship power to US president

Let me get this straight. If the legislation becomes law, Biden can shut down all the RW websites for posting conspiracy theory nonsense and lies?

Maybe Iā€™m wrong, and I should support this after all.

Let me get this straight. If the legislation becomes law, Biden can shut down all the RW websites for posting conspiracy theory nonsense and lies?

I can only imagine you'll be this enthusiastic when Trump does the same with all the LW websites.

I knew it instinctively....Patriot Act 2.0.

XiSmile.jpg

The thread premise is a lie from a rightwing fake news site ā€“ the law gives a president no such authority.

The legislation is prima facie un-Constitutional because it seeks to exact punitive measures absent evidence that Tik Tok poses a national security threat, having nothing to do with authorizing president to ā€˜shutdownā€™ websites.

ā€œTo date, lawmakers have not offered any evidence of the Chinese Communist Party using TikTok as a weapon against American interests.ā€

We should hope this misguided legislation dies in the Senate, itā€™s nothing but government excess and overreach.

The legislation is prima facie un-Constitutional because it seeks to exact punitive measures absent evidence that Tik Tok poses a national security threat, having nothing to do with authorizing president to ā€˜shutdownā€™ websites.

ā€œTo date, lawmakers have not offered any evidence of the Chinese Communist Party using TikTok as a weapon against American interests.ā€

We should hope this misguided legislation dies in the Senate, itā€™s nothing but government excess and overreach.
Ever get whiplash changing direction like that? :auiqs.jpg:

Musk is going to be all about sucking up to the Red Chinese because he likes selling his cars to the Cadre there. Get rid of Red Chinese infiltration of our markets and technology companies already; they are not our friends, and only idiots keep ignoring that fact just because they think we're all going to get rich selling them stuff.

Musk is going to be all about sucking up to the Red Chinese because he likes selling his cars to the Cadre there. Get rid of Red Chinese infiltration of our markets and technology companies already; they are not our friends, and only idiots keep ignoring that fact just because they think we're all going to get rich selling them stuff.

Just so I understand. Itā€™s wrong for the Chinese companies to get the same information about me that Apple, Google, Amazon, Walmart, eBay, Microsoft, and every other company gets. That doesnā€™t even begin to cover what information the various Alphabet Soup Agencies can get on us based upon our phones.

Does that about cover it? Itā€™s perfectly acceptable for everyone but the Chinese to track and spy on us?

i've seen that on my local WINK News. I think it is our own American Government that is doing that. The Aliens tell us that our Government is doing the cattle mutilations.

Personally, I think it is the Corps of Engineers who are doing mapping of the nation.

Personally, I think it is the Corps of Engineers who are doing mapping of the nation.
they are the ones releasing water from Lake Okachobee into our river and into our beaches in Southwest Florida which cause murky blue-green algae water and red tide. they need to find a different solution to the problem.

Last edited:
Well if The Firm agrees on something you know damn well it can't be a good thing for the people long term.
Really?!?! A Chinese spy balloon flying over the US is the end of the world, but a Chinese spy-ap on millions of our phones is ā€œfree speechā€? :rolleyes-41:

Forum List

Back