Tiki Torch Tinkering

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2017
Pretty sure someone was about to throw away two of these years ago so my wife ended up bringing them home to try out instead.

images

Such images are obviously photoshopped to make them look more realistic, but in reality they actually do mimic a flame impressively. Our two worked well so I carefully lashed one to pipes on each end of our side porch. We'd go out for a smoke break or whatever, find the little button and say "Party Time!"

That lasted two or three weeks before one of them began to crap out. I eventually separated the top of the crappy one from its strapped pole and stuck in my garage "For Inspection When Bored" collection where it sat for a year or so. Then the idea of having two again kind of tickled my fancy or something, so I brought it in and stuck on my rack next to my desk where it's been getting in my way for at least another year.

So, as usual, up too late and too early this morning, I see it there and decide it's time. After locating the only screwdriver I own that would extract the screws (a Snap On, of coarse), I succeeded in getting it apart without any bits of plastic flying away. I have to tear junk apart before tossing it. Can't help it. Gotta know how how it was made and works. Who knows? Maybe I can fix it.. Happens sometimes!

Anyways, having now thoroughly inspected the guts, turns out they are surprisingly sophisticated and intricate. Cleverly designed to be assembled by dexterous midgets. Well worth the price and chucking in the trash the moment they quit working.

I've had a set of those for the past going on 3 years, they still work great. I bring them in at first snow. I'm hoping they come up with a multi-color transition version..

Okay,..
20230107_160845_001.jpg

Ah, get that cat outta here!
20230107_161012.jpg

Now. Only two completely separate pieces (ten or so tiny screws not included). One piece being the white, plastic cover/diffuser. The rest is wired and/or soldered or firmly clipped together. The blackish round disc on the left is the solar panel needed to recharge the battery.
20230107_161117.jpg

There's the battery on the right. No way to replace it without performing major surgery. An O-ring seal appears on the left revealing how many can last outdoors for years with no maintenance. The screws pull the diffuser down, putting the designed amount of pressure on the O-ring when tight.
20230107_161142.jpg

Here you can (barely) see how the diffuser locks into the battery while maintaining pressure against it to prevent it breaking loose if/when dropped. Detailed view of the LED mounting shown on the right. Simple and uniform as one might expect an AI to suggest.
20230107_161205_002.jpg

Lastly, the fairly complex electronics neatly hidden beneath the battery. I've yet to be accused of being a photographer.

:lol: We've got a couple of those pesky cats too.

Interesting.

I see what you mean now.

I have a basic electronics book that I just recently managed to traverse into chapter three after owning it for a decade. I'll have to get back too it....eventual.

Thanks for the pics and the cat.

I used to like to fix or craft stuff but now I generally just buy stuff..

Forum List

Back