Three kids die in makeshift heater explosion after landlord shuts off heat during pol

In the state of Ohio, the utility company is allowed to send me a copy of a disconnect notice.

I give the tenant a few days to get squared away, then make a call to see that everything is ok.

If utilities are not paid, then you can expect that rent won't be paid. Go thirty days not paying me rent, and you will be evicted. Period. End of story.

I am a great landlord. All you gotta do is pay when agreed and or arranged. But I will not carry anyone past 30 days. That's all the law says I have to give up before the eviction process can begin.

I tell every tenant just what I said here; After non payment of 30 days, either move on your own or get evicted. By being straight, right up front about what will happen, I feel no real regret or guilt for doing my job.

To bad this management company didn't do their job. Those kids might still be alive.

Do you think it's possible they paid the rent but not the utilities? I think a lot of people will do that, just to have a roof over their head.

Ok, now what are we suppose to do about it?

is there anything off raw story that isn't gossip?

get that title?

Last edited:
Nobody should be freezing to death in this country.
Maybe he couldn't get the family to an emergency shelter. Maybe it was too far away. They made do with no electric for 7 months, but that is possible. Running water is a problem, but did they shut that off as well?
Yes, I think there is more to this story. But the major point is...that family froze to death.
So are those in Pine Ridge reservation. Every year, elderly folks die during the winter due to no heat. But not many think about that.
I was sending a box of warm clothing to them every year for awhile...and some folks were donating fuel to heat their homes. But I had to stop coupla years ago. I couldn't afford the shipping although I could get plenty of warm blankets and clothing for the rez.
I did what I could.
These people that froze....those small children...it's just....sad. And so unneccesary.

Jesus Gracie. Read the article you are discussing. They did not freeze to death. They burned to death in a fire from the rigged up heater. It was dad's fault.

In the state of Ohio, the utility company is allowed to send me a copy of a disconnect notice.

I give the tenant a few days to get squared away, then make a call to see that everything is ok.

If utilities are not paid, then you can expect that rent won't be paid. Go thirty days not paying me rent, and you will be evicted. Period. End of story.

I am a great landlord. All you gotta do is pay when agreed and or arranged. But I will not carry anyone past 30 days. That's all the law says I have to give up before the eviction process can begin.

I tell every tenant just what I said here; After non payment of 30 days, either move on your own or get evicted. By being straight, right up front about what will happen, I feel no real regret or guilt for doing my job.

To bad this management company didn't do their job. Those kids might still be alive.

Do you think it's possible they paid the rent but not the utilities? I think a lot of people will do that, just to have a roof over their head.

Sure it is possible. But not very likely. Generally if the tenant has utility issues, there are ways they can work out payment arrangement and such. If they won't do that or didn't do that they should have been evicted. If not evicted, then a notice to terminate the rental agreement should have been given and if that didn't get them out, then evict.

You can't live in a property that doesn't meet minimum standards and no heat or electricity meets the standard of not maintaining the property in a proscribed manner.

Either way something is missing from this story IMO.

Months without utilities? Why hadn't those kids already been removed from the home? If a grown piece of shit wants to live like that, that is their right, but they do not have the right to force children into it.

Months without utilities? Why hadn't those kids already been removed from the home? If a grown piece of shit wants to live like that, that is their right, but they do not have the right to force children into it.

You are a fucking idiot. He wasn't forcing anyone to live that way the utility company was by turning it off.

You are a fucking idiot. He wasn't forcing anyone to live that way the utility company was by turning it off.

No HE was , by not paying his bill.God , do you really not get that? You pay your light bill and the utility company will not turn off your lights. Pretty simple.

I bet he had beer. I bet he had money for smokes, I bet he had ..... Well, I've made my point.

The utilities had been cut off for seven months. It did not come as a surprise. There was a court date pending, likely that was for the eviction. It isn't as easy to evict someone as you might think. Someone getting advice from a community organizer can delay an eviction for a year or more.

People die when the utilities are cut off all the time. Even organizations that provide utility assistance will not do it more than one time.

Running a generator killed this man
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/03/nyregion/03monoxide.html?_r=0

Using candles for light killed these children.
Grieving Bronx mom, whose three children were killed in candle-sparked blaze, remains in hospital with surviving children - NY Daily News

Actions have consequences. Don't pay the bill, the utilities eventually get shut off.

The utilities had been cut off for seven months. It did not come as a surprise. There was a court date pending, likely that was for the eviction. It isn't as easy to evict someone as you might think. Someone getting advice from a community organizer can delay an eviction for a year or more.

People die when the utilities are cut off all the time. Even organizations that provide utility assistance will not do it more than one time.

Running a generator killed this man
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/03/nyregion/03monoxide.html?_r=0

Using candles for light killed these children.
Grieving Bronx mom, whose three children were killed in candle-sparked blaze, remains in hospital with surviving children - NY Daily News

Actions have consequences. Don't pay the bill, the utilities eventually get shut off.

Doesn't make sense, some in this thread are acting like the guy was current on his bill and the mean old utility monster turned off the power the day of the cold weather.

What's next, getting mad when the repo man comes to take the car you stopped paying payments on?

So I guess back in May the adults in charge didn't know there'd be a winter this year. Plausible I guess what with global warming and all.

that and they didn't have a crystal ball to see that "polar vortex"

raw story is such a joke but don't mind using dead children for their agenda

sick

So I guess back in May the adults in charge didn't know there'd be a winter this year. Plausible I guess what with global warming and all.

sick

So, I guess were going to blame man for the "polar vortex" since the global warming sham isn't working as well as they had hoped.

sick

So, I guess were going to blame man for the "polar vortex" since the global warming sham isn't working as well as they had hoped.

of course they are...
what do you think the purpose of the article was for?

The utilities had been off for months? When was the last time the bills were paid?

Should we simply allow people to not follow through on their obligations? To what end?

This sounds more like a case of parental failure than anything else. Tragic, but as far as I know a utility company is not a charity. It's the parents' fault.

Chris Christies fault. He caused the traffic jam that spiked CO2 that lead to AGW than made the polar vortex

Don't even get between a Lib and a story about dead kids

People have lost the ability to care for themselves. Hurricanes and cold weather show us that time after time.

Someone was cited over this, so there's one thing about it: mom won't be living in a slum much longer. That is what won the case against McDonald's over the hot coffee. That particular one had been cited 3 times by the county inspectors for the water in that pot being too hot. Ignore a government citation. Make someone rich.

Last edited:
The utilities had been off for months? When was the last time the bills were paid?

Should we simply allow people to not follow through on their obligations? To what end?

This sounds more like a case of parental failure than anything else. Tragic, but as far as I know a utility company is not a charity. It's the parents' fault.

This entire thing is unclear, actually. If the landlord shut off the heat, then heat was part of the rent and they were not paying their rent. To get someone who is not paying their rent out can take months. So, perhaps the landlord was in some stage of an eviction procedure.

If they were paying their own heat, then they were paying the electric company directly, and the landlord wouldn't have figured into the picture.

Since the landlord had been cited, I would bet the cyber dollar he was trying to evict them but had not yet succeeded.

Last edited:
Where do yall live that it takes that long to evict someone? It only took me 45 days. If the LL is in the right, it should not take that long. So far, no one in this story is giving me the warm fuzzies and I am uncomfortable with all of them.

Forum List

Back