This map shows what $100 dollars is really worth in your state

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
This map shows what $100 is really worth in your state
Business Insider
Elena Holodny 22 hours ago

Your dollars go further in some states than others.

The Tax Foundation released a mapshowing the relative value of $100 in every state compared with the national average using the data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis.

In expensive states like New York, you can afford comparatively less than average; in less expensive states like Mississippi, you can buy relatively more.

"Regional price differences are strikingly large; real purchasing power is 36 percent greater in Mississippi than it is in the District of Columbia," the Tax Foundation wrote.

"In other words, by this measure, if you have $50,000 in after-tax income in Mississippi, you would have to have after-tax earnings of $68,000 in the District of Columbia .

Here's the map:

(Tax Foundation)

The states with the largest relative value of $100 were:

• Mississippi ($115.34)
  • Arkansas ($114.29)
  • Alabama ($113.90)
  • South Dakota ($113.64)
  • West Virginia ($112.49)
The states with the smallest relative value of $100 were:

• District of Columbia ($84.67)
  • Hawaii ($85.62)
  • New York ($86.43)
  • New Jersey ($87.34)
  • California ($88.97)

Someone please tell me again who is voting against their own interests?

Who is for the workers?

Interesting stuff. I'd like to see a more detailed map, say by county.
I know if I go from WNC to NOLA things are gonna cost more there, not less -- but of course that's also going from rural to city.

Why is this confusing? Of course things will be cheaper in poor states with lesser economies.

And those $50,000 jobs? Good luck. There's a reason why these poor states have the highest rates of food stamp and welfare participation.

That's your poor excuse? ....damn what a sheep.

Why is this confusing? Of course things will be cheaper in poor states with lesser economies.

And those $50,000 jobs? Good luck. There's a reason why these poor states have the highest rates of food stamp and welfare participation.

The only way a dollar is ever going to be worth more in California than Mississippi is if the latter became one of the country's great economies. It's not, it's not even close.

I'd say it's pretty good. Don't you know how the free market works? Things are cheaper in places where people have less money. Things are more expensive in places where people have more money. It's not a very difficult concept.

Quit the bullshit no 50 grand a year jobs

I make over 50 grand...

A quick look at indeed

Injection Mold-Process Engineer
Bock & Associates - Greer, SC
$80,000 a year

Injection Mold-Process Engineer - Greer, SC - Indeed Mobile

The only way a dollar is ever going to be worth more in California than Mississippi is if the latter became one of the country's great economies. It's not, it's not even close.

Vote republican...

I know if I go from WNC to NOLA things are gonna cost more there, not less -- but of course that's also going from rural to city.

Yessiree, Mr. Pogo, things are a bit pricier here than Baton Rouge or Lafayette.

I make over 50 grand...

A quick look at indeed

$80,000 a year

At least $75k of that is compensation for having to live in South Carolina :eek:

That's one correlation the map shows -- the less desirable a state is, the more a dollar buys, and vice versa. It's a trade off.

I make over 50 grand...

A quick look at indeed

$80,000 a year

Congratulations. You're a South Carolina millionaire.

I'd say it's pretty good. Don't you know how the free market works? Things are cheaper in places where people have less money. Things are more expensive in places where people have more money. It's not a very difficult concept.

Totaly ignoring democrats, Unions and taxes eh???

Vote republican...

No woman in her right mind, especially one of child-bearing age, should vote Republican. The Republicans want us barefoot and back in the kitchen and pregnant. They don't care if there is no way or means to take care of an unwanted child.

Yessiree, Mr. Pogo, things are a bit pricier here than Baton Rouge or Lafayette.

Well I know. Lived there a dozen years until Katrina.

I like Lafayette. I'd go out there every spring for the FIL.

Because population size has nothing to do with it right?

Stupid simpleton

Totaly ignoring democrats, Unions and taxes eh???

Vote republican...

No woman in her right mind, especially one of child-bearing age, should vote Republican. The Republicans want us barefoot and back in the kitchen and pregnant. They don't care if there is no way or means to take care of an unwanted child.
I'd let you wear socks.........

In your mouth

The cost of property and the associated taxes are the largest factors in any state or area.

I make over 50 grand...

A quick look at indeed

$80,000 a year

At least $75k of that is compensation for having to live in South Carolina :eek:

That's one correlation the map shows -- the less desirable a state is, the more a dollar buys, and vice versa. It's a trade off.

Sun, oceans lakes and mountains...

And all the retired Northerners moving here with their pensions that the poor ass democrats in the north stuck paying for

Suckers...

Lmao.

Forum List

Back