This Kitten is Driving Me CRAZY!

Here is his King Kong Impression:

kitonhouse.jpg

He is now almost 3 months old. Paul sent me a planter for my birthday, I put it up high above on my computer stand. Well, ole' bratty kitty wants to climb on TOP of my computer, then on the tower, to the top of the computer stand to eat the plant!

He also likes to jump on top of the TV center and try to get into the doors that keeps the movies, etc. in them. He can OPEN the plastic doors I have (the kind that stores things) and get inside them.

Is this a demon kitty? :eek:

The only thing I can tell you is if you're a praying woman, start praying *now* that this cat isn't like Skittles was. If it is, you'll be taking down this years Christmas tree, and replacing it with something plastic, and you can plan on doing such for at least the next 3 years.

Oh, and you still ain't seen *nothin* yet. :eusa_whistle:

He is now almost 3 months old. Paul sent me a planter for my birthday, I put it up high above on my computer stand. Well, ole' bratty kitty wants to climb on TOP of my computer, then on the tower, to the top of the computer stand to eat the plant!

He also likes to jump on top of the TV center and try to get into the doors that keeps the movies, etc. in them. He can OPEN the plastic doors I have (the kind that stores things) and get inside them.

The only thing I can tell you is if you're a praying woman, start praying *now* that this cat isn't like Skittles was. If it is, you'll be taking down this years Christmas tree, and replacing it with something plastic, and you can plan on doing such for at least the next 3 years.

Oh no, I forgot about our Christmas Tree! :eek:

Remember what Kiki Lou did with the tinsel when he was a kitten! :lol:

Tinsel will be the *least* of your worries this year - I guarantee it. :badgrin:

Either tie that puppy to the ceiling, AND put plastic ornaments on it, or forgo the tree entirely, if you can't find a table top Charlie Brown one with a *plastic* ornament.

Or. You can try what I did with Ratt (which actually worked with her). Get one of those 2' tall trees that come with all the decorations, and lights, Assemble the whole thing (lights, ornaments, garlad, etc) on the floor in a designated "cat" area, and just plan on putting it back together every morning before work.... Ratt actually left my full sized tree alone when she was a baby.

Don't forget the spray water bottle to correct undesirable behavior.
There's no need for that or any other punitive measure, no matter how harmless. It erodes trust the cat has in you. There's far better ways of communicating the "rules."

Uh, no. This is a tried and true way to correct a cat's undesirable behavior. The key is to only do it when absolutely necessary. There are plenty of websites that explain how to do it properly. Let google be your guide.
I know all about it, and would never do it. There's far too many better and more effective ways.

No big deal. Just tie it to the wall and forego the glass. And the tinsel. You know what they think when they look at it: Spaghetti dinner! :eek:

There's no need for that or any other punitive measure, no matter how harmless. It erodes trust the cat has in you. There's far better ways of communicating the "rules."

Uh, no. This is a tried and true way to correct a cat's undesirable behavior. The key is to only do it when absolutely necessary. There are plenty of websites that explain how to do it properly. Let google be your guide.
I know all about it, and would never do it. There's far too many better and more effective ways.

Please enlighten us. Your knowledge could help not only EZ, but everyone on USMB.

Sounds like a typical kitty to me. Do you have a couple corrugated cardboard scratching pads and a pot of grass for it to nom on?

Paul? Strange name for a cat.

Yes, I have those scratching posts things. We also put out mini-Echo's old Barbie dollhouse, she likes to play in that, and climb on top of it play with the top of the ball on the scratching post! :lol:

I should get a pot of grass, that's a good idea!

PS-Kitten is sitting in my lap as I type this, that's the only way I can calm her down, she LOVES to sit in mommy's lap! :)

So your "Kitty" is a he/she?
That explains everything!:lol::lol::lol:

The best solution to your problem is to serve kung pao cat for dinner.

The best solution to your problem is to serve kung pao cat for dinner.

I'm more the kitty lo mein type myself.

Sounds like a typical kitty to me. Do you have a couple corrugated cardboard scratching pads and a pot of grass for it to nom on?

Paul? Strange name for a cat.

Yes, I have those scratching posts things. We also put out mini-Echo's old Barbie dollhouse, she likes to play in that, and climb on top of it play with the top of the ball on the scratching post! :lol:

I should get a pot of grass, that's a good idea!

PS-Kitten is sitting in my lap as I type this, that's the only way I can calm her down, she LOVES to sit in mommy's lap! :)
When he's doing something you don't want him to do, distract him with a laser pointer. He will forget all about the unauthorized activity immediately, and focus solely on catching that "firefly."

Hours of good clean fun.

If that don't work try a spray bottle and mist it every time it goes there. If that don't work try zapping it.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Please enlighten us. Your knowledge could help not only EZ, but everyone on USMB.
Cats hate citrus and anything related to it. A single orange peel even, placed in a no-no area, will repel the visitor effectively. He will learn not to even bother with it after a few visits.

That's just one of the many non-punitive ways you can set boundaries with a cat without potential damage to the trust. Cats aren't like dogs, who you can kick, mistreat, and they'll still mostly trust you. With a cat you mostly have to work to keep his trust.

As Bonez said earlier, I use a compressed air can to correct on-the-spot behavior as well, such as fighting. They can't stand the hiss noise it puts out. If one or more of my cats is engaging in unauthorized activity, I need only reach for the can, and the unauthorized activity stops immediately. As I said earlier, a laser pointer is also a great tool for behavior modification.

Different strokes for different folks. My cats play fetch. They roll over on command. They run obstacle courses. One even occasionally uses the toilet and flushes! They hunt bugs, catch flies. If I had mice they would hunt them down and eat them. They wish to please me and pay me back for my kindness and for giving them respect.

My biggest thing is, there's really not alot of rules or boundaries for my cats. I don't mind the cats on the table, countertops, bedding, etc. They don't scratch my furniture, they don't spray, they don't act out. I've found over the last 30 years of raising cats that if you make something a big deal, they'll want to do it more. If you wig out over them scratching furniture, the scratching continues, for example. They WILL rebel. It's their nature.

That's just my way. Not saying it's for everybody.

Last edited:

Cats hate citrus and anything related to it. A single orange peel even, placed in a no-no area, will repel the visitor effectively. He will learn not to even bother with it after a few visits.

That's just one of the many non-punitive ways you can set boundaries with a cat without potential damage to the trust. Cats aren't like dogs, who you can kick, mistreat, and they'll still mostly trust you. With a cat you mostly have to work to keep his trust.

As Bonez said earlier, I use a compressed air can to correct on-the-spot behavior as well, such as fighting. They can't stand the hiss noise it puts out. If one or more of my cats is engaging in unauthorized activity, I need only reach for the can, and the unauthorized activity stops immediately. As I said earlier, a laser pointer is also a great tool for behavior modification.

Different strokes for different folks. My cats play fetch. They roll over on command. They run obstacle courses. One even occasionally uses the toilet and flushes! They hunt bugs, catch flies. If I had mice they would hunt them down and eat them. They wish to please me and pay me back for my kindness and for giving them respect.

My biggest thing is, there's really not alot of rules or boundaries for my cats. I don't mind the cats on the table, countertops, bedding, etc. They don't scratch my furniture, they don't spray, they don't act out. I've found over the last 30 years of raising cats that if you make something a big deal, they'll want to do it more. If you wig out over them scratching furniture, the scratching continues, for example. They WILL rebel. It's their nature.

That's just my way. Not saying it's for everybody.

Citrus has never worked for me. I really don't see the difference between a can of compressed air and a mist of water except that something might get wet. Both can have an effect on respect if used excessively. The water bottle is usually better because the cat has to dry itself off giving it some time to think about the offending behavior.

Citrus has never worked for me.
If citrus doesn't work (always has for me) there are many other objects, plants and etc they don't like.
I really don't see the difference between a can of compressed air and a mist of water except that something might get wet.
With the air, you're not physically "assaulting" them.
Both can have an effect on respect if used excessively. The water bottle is usually better because the cat has to dry itself off giving it some time to think about the offending behavior.
I've heard that too. Many years ago I used to use squirt bottles or water pistols. Cats aversion to water is well known.

And again, if you have lots and lots of rules and no-nos, cats probably aren't the pet for you. Lots and lots of rules and no-nos means lots of conflict and water squirts.

I DO use a pump sprayer to get them out of the one tree out in the yard they're not allowed to climb. (Because they have easy access to the roof from there) This is a last resort, if they won't come on down. I have the nozzle on it set to stream, it shoots water 30-40 feet. Only had to actually use it once, thereafter merely getting it out of the shed works.

Misting is gentler. We mist our Iguana, she loves it. Different effect under a heat lamp though. Any way, don't soak the cat, just annoy it, fuck with it a little bit, just enough that it knows your powers,,,, leave the rest to it's little kitty imagination. :):):)

We used to spray our cats with milk when we were milking. They learned to sit their and open their mouths to catch the stream.

Citrus has never worked for me.
If citrus doesn't work (always has for me) there are many other objects, plants and etc they don't like.
I really don't see the difference between a can of compressed air and a mist of water except that something might get wet.
With the air, you're not physically "assaulting" them.
Both can have an effect on respect if used excessively. The water bottle is usually better because the cat has to dry itself off giving it some time to think about the offending behavior.
I've heard that too. Many years ago I used to use squirt bottles or water pistols. Cats aversion to water is well known.

And again, if you have lots and lots of rules and no-nos, cats probably aren't the pet for you. Lots and lots of rules and no-nos means lots of conflict and water squirts.

I DO use a pump sprayer to get them out of the one tree out in the yard they're not allowed to climb. (Because they have easy access to the roof from there) This is a last resort, if they won't come on down. I have the nozzle on it set to stream, it shoots water 30-40 feet. Only had to actually use it once, thereafter merely getting it out of the shed works.

Cats aren't the pet for me? I've had cats for 40 years. I've even trained them to take walks.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/pets/83195-anyone-ever-walked-their-cat.html

IMO, misting a cat with water is much less traumatic for a cat than using compressed air. The high-frequency sound can hurt their sensitive ears. That's why most vets recommend a spray water bottle.

Cats aren't the pet for me?
I suppose you didn't really catch the drift of what I said. It was "if you have lots and lots of rules and no-nos, cats probably aren't the pet for you" you not actually meaning, YOU personally. Just in general..
IMO, misting a cat with water is much less traumatic for a cat than using compressed air. The high-frequency sound can hurt their sensitive ears. That's why most vets recommend a spray water bottle.

All of my cats are also leash trained. In the open yard, they also have a cable run I hook them to. They dig it.

Seldom do I need to use the air can. And the sound frequency isn't what would hurt them, their hearing is well into higher ranges. It's the decibels. Which is why the can is sprayed away from them. And it's just a tiny spurt, not a prolonged, full blast. Sounds like a short hiss from their momma.

Vets.... They also recommend Vietnam-era nerve toxins to keep fleas off your cat. No thinks, I'll stick to the much cheaper, much more effective and completely non-toxic diatomaceous earth.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back