Thinking about visiting Ron DeSantis’s Florida? Think again

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Uh-oh. Ron has lost the support of Canadian media... Opinion | Thinking about visiting Ron DeSantis’s Florida? Think again.

TAMPA — Personally, I’ve never been charmed by the alleged attractions of Florida.
Once you get past year-round sunshine and warm temperatures — saunalike at the moment — the Alligator State, for all its sandy beaches and preserved wetlands, is just strip mall America writ monotonously large, amidst an endless tangle of highways.
To say nothing of the 1 billion tons of phosphogypsum — construction aggregate material, toxic mining waste, fertilizer by-product — that is under approval consideration by the governor for reuse in paving projects. Hence, what aghast environmentalists have dubbed “radioactive roads.” (See tangle of highways, above.)
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
But clearly, many would disagree with my uncharitable take. Florida’s cup runneth over with migration, legal and illegal, ranked first in population growth last year, welcoming 1,218 new residents each day.
According to driver’s license data, more than 583,000 people traded in their out-of-state licences at Florida’s DMV in 2022, indicating a whole lot of domestic relocation to the peninsula. Although this not no longer applies to undocumented immigrants, estimated at 772,000 who’ve landed in Florida. The poor souls are now forbidden from using drivers’ licenses issued by other states — 19 states and the District of Columbia allow this. Gov. Ron DeSantis’s idea of helping undocumented immigrants — who fill all the jobs native-born Americans eschew, in agriculture, construction and hospitality — is dumping them on Martha’s Vineyard.
About 1 million Canadian snowbirds spend up to six months a year wintering in Florida, injecting an estimated $6.5 billion into the state economy. You’re welcome

Florida is bullet-proof when it comes to boycotts. Most people who go there for vacay or even to relocate do so precisely because of the freedom the place offers - as well as the relatively desirable weather. I live less than a half hour from the Florida panhandle and you're correct about the weather feeling like a sauna. It's not for everyone. Hurricanes are a real issue as well but we get very few tornado outbreaks and the ground doesn't shake unexpectedly ;)

Oh no...............the Canandian ran Truderp media gestapo says no to Florida?

Awwww. I guess Florida will just have to close its doors and go out of business now.

1805a772f8ab922cc8a584ad889be2c2--cricut-sarcasm.jpg

Uh-oh. Ron has lost the support of Canadian media... Opinion | Thinking about visiting Ron DeSantis’s Florida? Think again.

TAMPA — Personally, I’ve never been charmed by the alleged attractions of Florida.
Once you get past year-round sunshine and warm temperatures — saunalike at the moment — the Alligator State, for all its sandy beaches and preserved wetlands, is just strip mall America writ monotonously large, amidst an endless tangle of highways.
To say nothing of the 1 billion tons of phosphogypsum — construction aggregate material, toxic mining waste, fertilizer by-product — that is under approval consideration by the governor for reuse in paving projects. Hence, what aghast environmentalists have dubbed “radioactive roads.” (See tangle of highways, above.)
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
But clearly, many would disagree with my uncharitable take. Florida’s cup runneth over with migration, legal and illegal, ranked first in population growth last year, welcoming 1,218 new residents each day.
According to driver’s license data, more than 583,000 people traded in their out-of-state licences at Florida’s DMV in 2022, indicating a whole lot of domestic relocation to the peninsula. Although this not no longer applies to undocumented immigrants, estimated at 772,000 who’ve landed in Florida. The poor souls are now forbidden from using drivers’ licenses issued by other states — 19 states and the District of Columbia allow this. Gov. Ron DeSantis’s idea of helping undocumented immigrants — who fill all the jobs native-born Americans eschew, in agriculture, construction and hospitality — is dumping them on Martha’s Vineyard.
About 1 million Canadian snowbirds spend up to six months a year wintering in Florida, injecting an estimated $6.5 billion into the state economy. You’re welcome
what i find funny, despite the whiny op-ed is this fact:

Yep, Canada is going to stop coming to the Free State of Florida. The State enjoys your money....and no, no, you are welcome.

What a hyperbolic, breathless post. This one opinion piece speaks for all Canadian media?

Forum List

Back